Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
jjrowan

Default 12 volt power (while engine running) source

I have had air horns on my vehicles since 1976 Dodge Maxivan. I've already installed the Hadley horns in the opening below the battery tray, a friend fabricated an aluminum bracket that bolts around the cross member. I have a fairly good idea where I'm mounting the air tank and compressor but haven't been able to figure out where to tie the compressor into a switched power source. I don't want the compressors connected to the battery and draining that if there's a leak in the air storage somewhere. Everything tightly sealed under the hood, I don't want to drill into the electric compartment under drivers seat to get power source. Anyone know where I can safely tap into a switched power supply in my 1998 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airhornsingrill.jpg (104.9 KB, 1099 views)
jjrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
jjrowan

Default Re: 12 volt power (while engine running) source

Compressor and 1.6 gallon air tank came in today. Thought I'd mount the tank above air horns (pictured) and compressor cross-ways above on end of frame. Mechanic friend said I needed cobolt drills to get through frame. He crawled under RV to see where else I could mount compressor and air tank. I hadn't looked behind the generator in my quest to find a mounting place. Mechanic suggested that but pushed instead to tap into the existing air tanks to run horns. I'm dead set against touching air ride or air brake system to have air horns. The cross brace behind the generator has plenty of clearance above to mount air tank and compressor. Still looking for power source. Had called Spartan Chassis, they called back but I couldn't get to the cell phone quick enough. Pictures to follow of compressor and air tank when I install them tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
jjrowan

Spent several hours today installing the air tank and compressor. The brackets I made needed to be tweaked, drilling additional 3/8ths inch holes so bolts would clear cross member. This is immediately behind the generator. The 1.6 gallon tank and compressor fit nicely atop the cross member. I tied the solenoid into the electric horns so when you press the horn button both the electric and air horns will blow. I still can not find a switched power source. I tested everything by connecting an 18 gauge wire from the battery to the compressor. The 18 gauge wire proved to be insufficient for the 30 amp compressor and the insulation started melting. [img}web.rownetco.com/Motorhome/compressor-and-tank.jpg[/img]
Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
jjrowan

Air horns finally working. I had plumbed the air lines backwards. All four connections were leaking air even though I'd put teflon on each. Took old off and put new teflon on, extra turn with wrench on each and no leaks. Moved the solenoid off the 1.6 gallon tank to the base of the Hadley Bully horns, had to move ground wire but found existing ground few inches away from horns.