Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
shutterhpy

Default Gulf Stream solar

I'm totally new to the world of full time rv dwellers. My wife retires the 29th of May and we intend to discover the United States. Currently, we are thinking three to five years out and find some place we like to settle down when we get a bit older. We are only 57 now and hope to enjoy ourselves for awhile. We enjoy PowWows and gold mining and intend to spend some time following these two hobbies. I build Native American Style flutes so I'll have something to do while we are not out going somewhere.

With the way we are intending to use this coach, I'm looking at putting on a nice solar system. I have not converted to LED lighting yet but, it will be forth coming. My question is, "How much solar do I want to bring on board"? All that is on the roof is what the coach came with. Between tv and internet, some power is going to be used pretty much constantly. Of course refrigerator,microwave.water heater,coach lighting are pretty much like every one elses. We do have the washer/dryer and wife uses C-pap at night. There is a good chance of boondocking large amounts of time given our hobbies. I also have four 12v batteries for storage currently.

Any advise and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Maybe we'll see you on the road. Bill
shutterhpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Gulf Stream solar

If you are going to dry camp a lot, I would say to get as many solar panels as you can get on that roof. Not sure why your coach has twelve volt batteries for the house part. Six volt deep cycle batteries are much better hooked up in series for durability.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote