Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Question

Pulled the motor home onto the driveway today and cleaned the carpet. When I went to put the slides back in , the one went but the other wouldn't until I started the generator. I figured it was probable a bad battery, although I had replaced them about one year ago. I checked the batterys and they were about 75% charged. IN storage I leave it hooked up to powere all the time so the batterys should be fully charged. I use a brain on the converter to moniter the charging rate. I also checked the water in the batterys and it was fine. since putting the brain on the converter the batterys use very little water. It is one of the type that plugs into your converter and then at time will boost the battery or if it is fully charges will just barely charge it. My motor home is a 2004 Gulfstream on the workhorse. I have power gear slide out equitment.
Do you have any ideas what the problem could be or is it just that the batterys will not carry enough to do the job.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
RayChez1

Your batteries are not fully charged and that is why the slide won't pull in. I have seen brand new batteries go bad right from the first day. Get a hydrometer and check the gravity on each cell. Also check on your panel to see that you have the correct amperage that you are plugged into. If you are hooked up to 50 amps, you set your panel to 50 or 20 amps, what ever your shore power is.
I have never had any problems with slides going in or out. But I did change my batteries after six years of service. I had noticed that the batteries were starting to use a lot more distilled water. Now that I installed the new Interstate U2200 batteries it does not use hardly any water.
You should also check your panel to see how many amps your charger is putting out. If your charger is putting out 14 amps and when you unplug the shore power it only shows the batteries to be 10 volts, then you know you got a problem with the batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
darbyjudy

Default Don't understand

I don't understand what you mean what I am plugged into. At home I only plug into a 20 amp circut, but the only thing I ever turn on is the refrigerator a couple of days before we leave to go camping. I feel it is also the batterys but don't know how to check to see how many amps it is getting to the batterys.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
RayChez1

I am not sure if your coach has the same thing that my Scenic Cruiser has, but what I was refering to is on my coach there is a Heart Interface panel with all kinds of interesting little lights. On this panel you have all the controls for your invertor/charger. You have a switch to Equalize your batteries. It also shows how many amps the charger is putting into the house batteries. It also shows if you have a fault on the house batteries. But it also has a control that you have to set on what ever shore power you are hookup to. Which could be anything from fifty amp to five amp. But after rereading your post, I am not sure if the Sun Voyager has this system or not. But you should still check the batteries with a hydrometer. It will tell you if you have any dead cells. If the batteries check out OK with the hydrometer, then you have a problem with what you call the brain. Apparently it is not cutting in the charger when the batteries read low.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote