Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Biobug

Default 2008 Gulfstream Conquest Super C update

An update to the past problems we have had with our 2008 International Conquest. We just finished a months vacation staying in Oregon at parks and Primitive
Campgrounds at lakes and streams fishing. We put on 2,000 miles bringing us up to 24,000 on the rig. Before the trip I took it to Brattain International for
the same CEL issue we have had since day 1 plus a new problem - the dash air stopped working. The air conditioning turned out to be the Cab Controller (computer) no longer covered to the tune of $1,600 . Interesting to find out that there is separate computers controlling brakes (that would have been $1,100)
and other items . The cab controller controls the turn signals ,lights, Air, heat; etc. So if your signals stop working expect a $1,600. bill to fix them . The new controller is covered for just 1 year. At the same time they found the EGR valve faulty and that replacement was covered under the engine coverage so it was replaced no cost. The big thing there was 2,000 miles of driving pulling 5,000 lbs with no CEL's. That was almost worth the $1,600 in itself . As far as the coach,
it has been normal repairs. The jacks will not hold when they level. They creep back down and pulling a rubber boot off the electric jack they are corroded to the point they won't work. I have tried to contact Powergear for the cost of a "kit" to make them last more than a year. They have yet to respond. Paneling in the hallway that fell off I have re-attached with Gorrilla glue . I replaced the house batteries and added a third one which has helped the dry camping a lot. The slide has actually worked all season without fail. "Knock on wood", we have had no injector issues yet. I think running a minimum of B-5 Biodiesel has helped.
I pulled off the bottom latter brackets to fix a broken rung and found all the screws going into the coach are rusted and rotted in the plywood like they had been there 20 years. I replaced them the next size up and "Elmer" glued them in and then sealed around the supports to keep the moisture out. Probably like closing the gate after the cow got out. This fall I am going to replace and seal along all edges that the factory used silicon sealer as it has been coming off going down the road in strips.
This winter I will be adding solar panels 250 to 300 watt to curb the generator usage. We have considered another coach but don't want to start over with
issues unknown to us. I am starting to understand this one . I would like to add the airbag suspension but it would be like throwing money on the fire.
All in all , this season has been a great improvement from prior ones with less costs per mile than in the past. We still love the stability of the heavy platform and enjoy not being blown off the road in wind and semi "airstreams". I just wished they made the coach to last longer than 5-10 years.

"There comes a time in a mans life that he must
take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Biobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Gemini John

Default Re: 2008 Gulfstream Conquest Super C update

DO the Airride 810. ReaD THE POSTS. yOU WILL BE SOOOOOO happy, and it will quit hurting itself. All motorhomes take work. We likr ours now more than when we bought it, 2 years and running. HJ