Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Charliechan

Default 2004 Friendship A/C issue

Good Day all. I was checking all systems in the coach in anticipation of trip west. Front and rear A/C's worked fine, when set temp was reached fan would turn off and cold air was produced. I think I may have used an improper shut down procedure because now only the fan will work on the rear unit. No cold air. When I turned it off I didn't wait long and turned it back on and that is when I couldn't hear the compress turn on. Both unit are Duo-Therms with analog therms. I have checked all fuses I can locate and they are good. Any help would be appreciated. Chan
Charliechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: 2004 Friendship A/C issue

Maybe you are setting the control on Fan instead of air conditioner. If you coach is like mine it has only one thermostat control. On it you have zone 1 which is the rear AC and heat pump. Zone 2 is the front AC/heat pump units. You select which zone you want to get started. On your control you have Fan, Cool, Heat pump, and Furnace. Select what ever you want on that zone. Select a temperature you want and you are set. Then go to zone 2 and repeat what you done on zone 1.

If you want to turn everything off immediately, you just slide the switch at the bottom of the thermostat to off.

And I notice you are a new member. Welcome this is a very friendly forum. We try to help each other with our Gulf Stream coaches. I notice you have a Friendship coach. There are several members in this forum that own Friendships.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Charliechan

Thanks for the reply Ray. Mine has two Duo-Therm controls, one for each A/C and furance. They are analog and the selector is Cool-Off-Furance, a switch for Auto/Man and a switch for Fan Hi/Low. The furance in the bedroom works, the A/C fan comes on when the temp slide is moved to cold temp and turns off when the temp control is advanced to a high setting. But the unit does not produce cold air. It has for over a year and just started not working when I turned it off and back on within a minute. As I said I may be my worst enemy if I should've given a time delay. Chan
Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Charliechan

Looks like I'm the first person with this problem so I'll put my limited repair skills to work. I tested the thermostat voltage outputs per duo-therm troubleshooting guide, all voltages good. Also removed the A/C cover to gain access to start and run caps. Next will order and replace those, also purchased new Honeywell digital thermostats which will replace the analog types. I'll post results when complete.

Also as I checked more systems, seems the front furnace joined the ranks of failures. Nothing happens when I ask for heat except a fuse is blown as soon as I select heat. Don't you just love these older RV's, especially when dealing with top secret schematics as Gulfstream owners have discovered. This will be the next project after A/C problem.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Charliechan

Update, new start and run capacitors installed and new thermostat. Still not cooling, there must be a blown fuse somewhere. The fuse on the control board next to the replaced capacitors is good and all others I have found. I read that if you re-start the A/C within 5 min aftershutdown you could blow a fuse and I did that, so more grey hair while I search for the fuse.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

I just checked the wiring schematics that I have for our GS MH and there are two 12v fuses (one for front A/C and one for rear A/C) in the fuseblock in the front compartment below the driver, also there are two 12v fuses under the bed again one for each front and rear A/C.
There are also two 110v breakers under bed, again one for front and one for rear A/C.

If you need a copy of the schematics that I have, Please send me a PM with your email address and I will sent them to you. They are in PDF form/Adobe Reader.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote