Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
DblDuce4Me

Default Weird battery/power issue

Ok, so about a month ago, I picked up my rv from getting inspected. I noticed that the automatic step was only retracted halfway. When i started the rv, i expected it to go in all the way, but it didnt. i tried opening and shutting the door, thinking something was wrong w/ the activation switch, but nothing. After turning the main disconnect right inside the rv a few times, i tried slamming the door shut, then the step retracted.

A few days later i went to start the generator while sitting in my driveway. nothing happened from the remote switch inside. i went outside to the panel and just got a clicking sound. i assumed it was the battery, so i plugged it in to shore power and tried it and it started. after another couple of days, i started the rv and the leveling jack system started beeping and lit up the "parking brake not set" light, even though the parking brake WAS on already. after sitting there idling like that for a bit, i decided to try and reset the 50 amp 12v breakers outside. when i turned one of them off and back on, the beeping stopped. After taking it to an rv park, i tried putting the levelers down, and nothing turned on, not even the control panel. i again tried resetting the 50 amp breakers, and then i had power and was able to put them down. after a week of being plugged into shore power there, i unplugged and went to move the power drivers seat back, and nothing. wouldnt budge. i messed w/ the master switches, started the engine, etc, and eventually the seat moved under power again.

Today i had the same thing happen, after being parked and plugged in for a week. Now here's where the weird part happens...i managed to manually start the generator only after having to start the rv engine. after it kicked on, i tried to put out one of the slides, and the generator turned off! a while later, i restarted it, and was going to let it run for 30 minutes or more thinking it will charge the batteries enough. well, the wind blew the screen door shut, and when that happened, the generator turned off again! I think because it tried to retract the power step but didnt have enough power to do so. Everything so far sounds like bad/dead coach batteries, but im confused as to why trying something 12v related would actually cause the generator to shut down. btw, when i got it home, i plugged into shore power and tried the slide outs, and the power driver's seat, and they worked fine, as well as the step, and all interior lights, fridge (on gas), etc. its 9 pm here, so havent had a chance to check the coach batteries. will do that tomorrow. just wondered if this happened to anyone else before? i replaced the coach batteries about 4 or 5 years ago, and just replaced the engine battery this week, thinking that was the culprit, as it was the original one that came w/ the rv (13+ years old)

rv is a 2003 gulfstream sun voyager class A w/ a ford V10 chassis, with only 3,500 miles on it. im hoping its just the coach batteries that are bad, but not ruling out the inverter too. ill know more when i can put a voltmeter on them w/ and w/o being plugged into shore power.

the generator reaction is what really baffles me, as i wouldnt have expected that.
DblDuce4Me is offline   Reply With Quote