Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
sammywolfordwv

Default Onan Generator Stops After Running 5 Minutes

We recently purchased a 2007 B Touring. We changed the oil, filter, and air filter in the Onan generator. It starts just fine, but after running about 5 minutes it shuts off. The gas tank is at half full. The error code is 36. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for us to try next?

Thank you!
sammywolfordwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

that seems to be a 'catchall' error code, and I've personally seen it many times...but, I always just restart the gen, and everything seems to work just fine, and the gen runs as long as I need it to from then on....

not sure what yours might be - but just give it a second, restart and give it another try... maybe two or three times, if needed....

another option might be to 'prime' it for a minute before you crank it...

but, sometimes these things just happen, and I've never been able to pinpoint any real problems, and since it cranks the next time and runs fine, I just figure it's a grimlin!
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
BT5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammywolfordwv View Post
We recently purchased a 2007 B Touring. We changed the oil, filter, and air filter in the Onan generator. It starts just fine, but after running about 5 minutes it shuts off. The gas tank is at half full. The error code is 36. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for us to try next?

Thank you!
i'm gonna go with dirty carb...and guess that the needle and seat is sticking...

there is a screw to drain the fuel out of the carb bowl, drain it out,...put lucus fuel additive in the fuel tank.....prime the gen first every time ...start and run gen...as soon as it dies.... check the drain screw to see if there is fuel in the bowl..
BT5210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
unom

My generator will stop running if our tank is at half and I drive the rv. I’m guessing that the feed tube is a little high in our tank and when the tank sloshes, it sucks in air.

I get code 36 usually, sometimes 34.

Maybe you’re driving, or you’re parked on a little hill? Something to check.

A fuel filter might also cause a similar error, but maybe start with leveling (or tipping!) the rv to see if you can get more fuel beneath the feed tube.

I like to start with free fixes
unom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
donchambers

I had the same issue on my 2008 Independence, you can try cleaning the carburetor as much as you want, but they are throw away carbs. I finally purchased a new carburetor and it has purred like a kitten since. They are around $300.00 (eBay and such) and easy to change out. you will spend that or more trying to get it to run if you include what your time is worth. Just my $0.02. The key to keeping them running good, is to start them at least once a month and put them under load, run ac's and lights for @ 30 minutes.
donchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
purduepete12

I had this same problem. It was the fuel pump. The generator is running on the gas in the hose and the fuel bowl. When that's gone and the fuel pump doesn't replace it and the generator stops running. I put a shut off valve in the fuel line so that after I exercise the generator, I shut the fuel valve off while the generator is still running and burn the fuel in the bowl so that it doesn't gum up the needle valve and the fuel pump. These generators don't like gas with ethanol in it.
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:

Thank you!
(Assuming Gas engine, Not knowing your exact model #) Code 36 says "NOT controller shutdown", which (means) MOST LIKELY fuel related; either main tank low, FUEL FILTER, or failing/ intermittent FUEL PUMP. Failing pump (usually) will not restart immediately, but may restart after 15-20-minutes; Follow proper procedure to PRIME before starting?); OLDER MODELS WITHOUT PRIME feature usually starts w/ SURGE that smooths out, (as the float bowl fills to Proper level), MAY RUN FINE for 5-min to 90-min, then SURGE as fuel level in float bowl falls before dying again. Replacement is a $20-$40 Amazon part, a MODERATE DIFFICULTY DIY, or maybe $150-$200 if hired?? Tools I needed for mine were T-27 TORX, Line wrench set SAE (for flare nuts on metal fuel line and filters to prevent line/ fitting damage), 1/4-ratchet w/ various extensions, swivels, etc, screw drivers/ nut drivers for hose clamp. TIP: TRY proper procedure to PRIME, and restart/retest; after dying, pull float bowl drain screw and see if low on fuel (with COLD engine, NOT hot/ RE: FIRE SAFETY)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

THERE IS ANOTHER group of owners that says they had success w/ theirs by removing 4 to 8-oz OIL to put oil in mid-range of dipstick and (for them) it cured their problem? (*** After great frustration and trying all else) Oil Was NOT my issue, new pump cured mine and MANY a new FUEL PUMP has cured Luck to ya
Old 10-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
[email protected]

I have or had a 1996 Gulfstream and the generators did the same thing. After taking it to two cumins michanics, who could not fix it, we sold it last week. Good luck with yours and hopefully you will find the problem. If you do, please let me know.
Thanks
Dunlevykimberly@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
purduepete12

Install a fuel shut off valve up stream of the generator and a new fuel pump.
Then every time you run the generator, shut the fuel valve off before storage and run the fuel out of the carb and fuel line. These generators don't like ethanol gas left in the carb and needle valve!
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
sammywolfordwv

Quote:

Thank you!
We ended up replacing the fuel pump and it is working just fine. Thanks.
sammywolfordwv is offline   Reply With Quote