Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
bbybee

Default new leak(s)

Im new to Rving and have had this Motorhome about 9 months. I was wonder the advantages and disadvantages of taping over my screws along the outer edge of the RV instead of self leveling sealant. I was given several rolls of Dicor Coating-Ready Cover Tape and that look like a more permit as not twice a year way to water proof that area?

Thought and suggestions please.

Thanks ahead a time!!

Buck
Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Frutza

If one is free, that works, I would. And have used both, most importantly is the prep work, clean no loose old caulk, dry .
Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
bbybee

Thanks for the info and i'll do both then.

again thanks!

Buck
Old 02-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
RayChez1

Leaks are very hard to find on a motor home or trailer. It could be in the rear and the leak would come out in the front. Lot of times the leak is on your air conditioners that with all the bouncing on the hi-ways will get lose. I had that problem once and the four bolts needed to be retightened. Also the roof design of the Gulf Stream coaches was a poor design as far as I am concerned. If you do not cover the seams that run from front to rear with Eternabond, those seams eventually will leak because of the flexing of the long structures. The thing is that as we get older it is hard and dangerous for us older folks to be climbing and walking around on the roofs. But the three piece design is a very poor design. That is about the only thing that I have found on my coach that I did not like. Other then that my coach has served us well and has given us seventeen years of great service.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
jamesham

Default roof leak

Are you talking about the screws at the top where the roof meets the wall? There is usually a metal strip there, and sometimes an awning strip. We wrapped the edge with Eternabond roofing tape. This is very sticky stuff and once it is down, it holds well. Presume the Dicor product you mentioned is similar? The Eternabond tape has a peel-off plastic layer with a white vinyl outside layer. It also sticks well to fingers and your pants leg when trying to put the stuff on. But it stops leaks. We used it around all the skylights, on the front and back cap roof seams, and on the metal strip on both sides.

[QUOTE=bbybee;30120]Im new to Rving and have had this Motorhome about 9 months. I was wonder the advantages and disadvantages of taping over my screws along the outer edge of the RV instead of self leveling sealant. I was given several rolls of Dicor Coating-Ready Cover Tape and that look like a more permit as not twice a year way to water proof that area?
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
RayChez1

[QUOTE=jamesham;30174]Are you talking about the screws at the top where the roof meets the wall? There is usually a metal strip there, and sometimes an awning strip. We wrapped the edge with Eternabond roofing tape. This is very sticky stuff and once it is down, it holds well. Presume the Dicor product you mentioned is similar? The Eternabond tape has a peel-off plastic layer with a white vinyl outside layer. It also sticks well to fingers and your pants leg when trying to put the stuff on. But it stops leaks. We used it around all the skylights, on the front and back cap roof seams, and on the metal strip on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbybee View Post
Im new to Rving and have had this Motorhome about 9 months. I was wonder the advantages and disadvantages of taping over my screws along the outer edge of the RV instead of self leveling sealant. I was given several rolls of Dicor Coating-Ready Cover Tape and that look like a more permit as not twice a year way to water proof that area?
Yes, that metal strip that runs from the front cap to the rear end cap is held by screws and they will work themselves lose and poke holes through the Dicor. I bought the four inch rolls of Eternabond and just layed it right over the whole seam, just make sure it is clean. It can be washed real good with lacquer thinner, then apply the Eternabond. Also the seam in the front and rear that goes across, you have to apply the eternabond also.. But there are many other spots that need attention. Where the two radio antena's are mounted, the crank up TV antenna, the clearance lights, the spotlight, the vents, skylights. A leak could be on any of those spots. OH! also where your awning screws into the side walls. As much money as we pay for these vehicles it seems to me they could do a better job of having no leaks out of the factory. And it is just not Gulf Stream, I have talked to many other RVers with real high end coaches that have had leaks. Quality Control is just not there anymore like it used to be. But with a little time you can seal that coach to where you do not have to worry anymore with Eternabond and tighting the four bolts on the inside of your air conditioners/heat pumps.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
bbybee

Thanks for the info! If it ever stays dry here more than a day Im going to start the tape project and the front marker lights. I did have both AC's replaced so I will check the tightness of them.

Thanks for everyone help !!!

Buck
Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 AM   #8
jmorris

Default New Leak(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbybee View Post
Thanks for the info! If it ever stays dry here more than a day Im going to start the tape project and the front marker lights. I did have both AC's replaced so I will check the tightness of them.

Thanks for everyone help !!!

Buck

FIND A ROOF LEAK EASY
Water leak could not find. Cut hole in plywood mounted a AC squirrel cage blower in window of RV or Camper . Shut all doors, fans etc. Pressurized unit, used dish soap. There you have it Bubbles……..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9 (2).jpg (334.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (194.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 11 - Copy (2).jpg (270.1 KB, 3 views)
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote