Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
2019 255BH Newbie

Default Slide not all the way sealed at the bottom

I have a 2019 255BH and when I got it home from the dealer who is 3.5 hours away, I notice the bottom of my single slide was not full in. Maybe out 1 inch. Its tight at the top but a little out on the bottom. When I slide it out the interior top is flat against the seal but I have maybe 2 inches out from the seal at the bottom. Like its not all the way out. Yes I ran it till I heard the clicking. Yes the camper is level. I am guessing it may have settled on the way home as I did not notice this at the dealership. I have watched every you tube video I can find and I cant seem to get a clear understanding on which adjustment I need to make. Owners manual is very small and says nothing about how to adj. this. I am very mechanically inclined and I am sure with trial and error I could figure it out but I though someone on here could give me a quick education on this. The slide system is the type with two tracks under the slide and it has one motor on one end with a connecting rod that also turns the other end. I hear this is the original style of slide system from the day they started offering slides sometimes called rack and pinon. I know the 2 vertical bolts are to adj. the up and down and the bolts on the tracks them selves are to adj in and out meaning measured from the side of the camper out. I see an adj. on the rode that is parallel with one of the geared bars. It has 3 nuts, 2 that are jammed on ether side of a bracket and a third that is up against the canister on the end of the rod. With all that said, which ones of these area do I need to adj. I don't quit understand what tells the system to start slipping when its all the way out or all the way in. Sorry for so long a post but I just wanted to put it all out there with all the detail I could give. I know someone is going to say take it back but I feel not all work needs to go back to the dealer and they keep it for a month to make a simple 5 minute adj. I can do that with minor direction. Thanks for any help or direction to any sites on the subject.
2019 255BH Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
2019 255BH Newbie

No one, Really?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019 255BH Newbie View Post
No one, Really?
Check youtube. Lots of people working on their slides.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
2019 255BH Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Check youtube. Lots of people working on their slides.

I have and I see a lot of different ways they are doing it. I just was hoping to talk with someone with first hand experience. Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Sudsy

You should have bought something at a closer dealer! Having said that I would bite the bullet and make the 3.5 hour trip back to have the slide room adjusted properly before water gets in and destroys the laminate flooring and other structure. It's a warranty item.

Sudsy
Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
2019 255BH Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
You should have bought something at a closer dealer! Having said that I would bite the bullet and make the 3.5 hour trip back to have the slide room adjusted properly before water gets in and destroys the laminate flooring and other structure. It's a warranty item.

Sudsy
Well Dang Sudsy, If there was a dealer who carried the RV I wanted a little closer and would have sold it to me at the right price, yes that would have been a much better way to go on this. Thank you for your negative input.

By the way. It was not that bad out of adjustment to where I thought it was going to leak. I have adjusted it as it needed and now it fits great. No need in taking one back every time a piece of trim comes off or a minor adj needs to be done like this was. Get out and fix your own stuff some time. You will get to know your rig better than anyone else, even the dealer.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019 255BH Newbie View Post
I have a 2019 255BH and when I got it home from the dealer who is 3.5 hours away, I notice the bottom of my single slide was not full in. Maybe out 1 inch. Its tight at the top but a little out on the bottom. When I slide it out the interior top is flat against the seal but I have maybe 2 inches out from the seal at the bottom. Like its not all the way out. Yes I ran it till I heard the clicking. Yes the camper is level. I am guessing it may have settled on the way home as I did not notice this at the dealership. I have watched every you tube video I can find and I cant seem to get a clear understanding on which adjustment I need to make. Owners manual is very small and says nothing about how to adj. this. I am very mechanically inclined and I am sure with trial and error I could figure it out but I though someone on here could give me a quick education on this. The slide system is the type with two tracks under the slide and it has one motor on one end with a connecting rod that also turns the other end. I hear this is the original style of slide system from the day they started offering slides sometimes called rack and pinon. I know the 2 vertical bolts are to adj. the up and down and the bolts on the tracks them selves are to adj in and out meaning measured from the side of the camper out. I see an adj. on the rode that is parallel with one of the geared bars. It has 3 nuts, 2 that are jammed on ether side of a bracket and a third that is up against the canister on the end of the rod. With all that said, which ones of these area do I need to adj. I don't quit understand what tells the system to start slipping when its all the way out or all the way in. Sorry for so long a post but I just wanted to put it all out there with all the detail I could give. I know someone is going to say take it back but I feel not all work needs to go back to the dealer and they keep it for a month to make a simple 5 minute adj. I can do that with minor direction. Thanks for any help or direction to any sites on the subject.
Best advise I can offer from experience is: 1) make note of Brand, Model, Serial of slide (and all appliances/ furnishings) and search online/ download for "OWNER MANUAL" and "SERVICE MANUAL" using brand. Suspect yours is LCI (Lippert)/ Dewald/ Power Gear, and those are online at many locations. (I suspect they have had name changes/ buyouts over past 20-40-yrs, and (maybe) LCI owns them all now?); 2) TYPICAL OPERATION is that when retracting, top touches first, and THEN BOTTOM PULLS IN TIGHT; (if it were reversed, you could NEVER get the top tight); with MY HYDRAULIC, I concentrate on MOVEMENT and release switch when it all quits moving; 3) Any chance that yours slid out some while traveling and was tight at the dealer? Is yours supposed to have travel LOCKS installed? Hope this helps?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

p.s. Might also look for PARTS MANUAL LIST if not included in other manuals, while you are searching.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
jamesham

Default I have solved the same problem

My Gulf Stream is very old but system is similar. Mine was tight at top and out at the bottom about 1/2 inch. The "jamnut" on the center hydraulic ram pushrod solved the problem on mine. About a turn on the nut did the trick. Seems like the secret to keeping the slide working is lube of the moving parts with non-grease product like silicone, and cleaning the side seals/wiping with silicone. Slide is over 20 years old and still working great.
jh

[QUOTE=2019 255BH Newbie;27481]I have a 2019 255BH and when I got it home from the dealer who is 3.5 hours away, I notice the bottom of my
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote