Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
Kelly

Default Vintage Cruiser Radio/DVD player issue

Vintage Cruiser 23tws - brand new.

Radio/DVD player is doing a 10 sec. on, then 10 sec. off, cycle, alternating quiet with an audible whirring or some type of 'processing/initiating something' sound. Tried pushing every button, unhooked 110v power, but 'cycle' persists. Maybe it is confused and trying to load a DVD or ???

Any ideas/help appreciated.

Thanks.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
Life on the fishing pier

These run on 12 volts so to completely reboot it you'll need to either find and pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. Is this a Drive 3000 unit? This is not normal operation. I'm trying to remember if these are hard wired or plug in. I know they are easy to get out.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
Kelly

Do not know if it is a Drive 3000 unit and not at the trailer now.
I did a unit 'reset' by inserting a toothpick into the reset slot.

Found out that if I keep a CD in the unit, the 'cycling' on and off stops - as soon as I remove the CD, the cycling resumes. This continues even if I push the on/off button on the unit.

I will try removing the fuse the next time I get to the unit and I sent an email to Gulf Stream, as well.

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
mpg0815

Default Same thing happened

We have 2016 vista cruiser 19erd and same thing happened a few years ago. We just kept a CD in it to keep it quiet! Took it in for service last month for wheel bearings and had them look at the radio DVD player cause of whirling. They came back and said unit was shot and needed replacement! We wanted to replace with Bluetooth device and they quoted $500-$700!! Outrageous! I’m currently looking at other options! Local electronics store can do it for half that!
Anxious to hear any other solves that are less expensive!
mpg0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
Life on the fishing pier

The Vintage Cruiser Facebook group is the place to find a suitable replacement. I'm not a member but my Wife is. I'm pretty sure there's a Jensen model on Amazon that's a popular retrofit. I'm keeping the Drive unit for a while or until it dies and when it does get replaced it will be a complete overhaul of the sound system.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
mpg0815

Default Jensen multi zone

Thanks for the tip! I see that Jensen has a multi zone AM/FM CD/DVD with Bluetooth for just over $200!
(Model JWM62A). Three zones to direct sound!
The back of the unit seems pretty easy to just plug current wires into and mount. Is it really that easy as a DIY project!?
mpg0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
BryanL21

Default Warranty issue

First, I have a 2021 Vintage Cruiser and though mine does still work (the remote does not), these units are notoriously problematic. What you describe is not normal, add it to your warranty service list. In the meantime either keep a cd in it, as others have suggested, or pull the fuse.
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
Bike Dr

Might I add just getting rid of those crappie factory-installed units!!! I upgraded mine to this and it has worked flawlessly and I have the same unit in 4 vehicles!! It's very universal and voice activated with remote also complete hands free operation
I added bose front speakers and it sound phenomenal!! Apple car play or Android, Google multiple camera connections satellite radio or HD ota radio it's very nice unit for the cost
It's a pioneer avh nex unit they have many styles and options!
Now I know this is in a class a coach as you can see but it can be installed in other locations..
Just giving more options to help!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT !!!!

2004 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220331_171130.jpg (332.6 KB, 10 views)
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
Kelly

Appreciate the responses.

The radio and cds both sound good. If all I need to do is keep a cd inside, I will likely stop there. When I get a TV, if that works good, will have to decide if I want to do a warranty repair. The unit is 'installed' in an RV park a couple hundred miles away from my dealer, so, that will also be taken into account for what I do.

Speaking of entertainment systems, what size TV do you Cruiser owners have? I will likely get a 19", 'cause it should tuck away nicely on the extend arm TV mount plate.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
Life on the fishing pier

As far as TVs we have two of these: https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Insig..._rpt_ba_s_1_sc

Although my included moveable mount has been modified to tilt and the one in the bedroom has something I welded that fits on the TV and slides in the socket but it doesn't move. Ot was just easier to buy another TV than to keep moving the one.

On the Drive radio, The lower half of the facia pops off being held with two clips on each side. If you can get something behind the edge on the side and pull sideways as you pull out they pop off exposing 4 screws holes and 2 screws holding the Drive unit to the wall. There's plenty of wire behind it and the harness plugs into the unit. Whether that plug is common to other radios such as the Jensen, I don't know. There is a wiring diagram with tags on the wires so if it wasn't a true plug and play it would still be an easy swap witu some simple wiring tooks and butt splices. It inside hidden part of the Drive is about 2.25" high, not near as big as the faceplate.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
Kelly

+1 on second TV, as moving the whole arm assembly ain't that easy sans TV. But, the 24" is too wide to 'lock in' to the moveable arm mount by the door, no?
Old 07-31-2022, 03:36 PM   #12
Kelly

Filed a claim with service where I bought the Cruiser - service manager said he had heard of the issue, before.
They will be sending me a new DVD3000 - lots of wires in back, but, if

I install 1 at a time, I should be fine.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:01 PM   #13
Life on the fishing pier

If you are going from Drive 3000 to Drive 3000 it should be only a few RCA jacks, the antenna and a plug. The plug connection contains all the other wires like power and speakers.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #14
Kelly

Sorry so long to respond - out of town for 1 1/2 wks.
Sounds good - thanks.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:25 PM   #15
dallas1118

Mine is doing this also, on a 2023 23 TWS. I want to replace the unit but can't figure out what to pop off the front of it to get it out. Seems like the bottom half of the face wants to come lose, I just can't get it to budge.
dallas1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:40 PM   #16
Life on the fishing pier

My 3000 face plate has clips on either side that pop off if you pull the sides outwards. It's a bit hard to get something big enough behind it to pull to the sides. I use a seal pick to pull mine loose.
Life on the fishing pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #17
dallas1118

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
dallas1118 is offline   Reply With Quote