Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
jlmanatee

Default New Flooring in my 2006 GS Sun Voyager

I'm having new flooring installed in my Sun Voyager over the winter. We discovered that there was a very bad section of flooring under the refrigerator in the kitchen slideout, specifically where the slideout roller sat when the slideout was in. It turns out that in this critical weight-bearing location there was no support under the subflooring. Apparently this is because the water tank is located below it and there just isn't any space for some kind of support joist as exists elsewhere.
This area, about 18 inches in diameter, looks like it got wet and sagged like a very shallow bowl. I have a suspicion that the fridge/freezer would defrost and the drain tube may not have been routed outside. That part is still a bit of a mystery that I'll have to keep my eye on.
I've only had this MH for a little over a year and didn't notice this problem till we decided to update the flooring. To fix it, they've had to remove the kitchen slide. And let me tell you, it ain't cheap.
They're doing an excellent job of repairing this section by the use of a 1/4" steel plate below a 1/2" plywood filler section. Now it's the most solid section of the floor, as it really should have been in the first place.
While the cost of this repair has been painful, I have to say that the new Allure flooring looks fantastic. There's also some carpeting to replace yet and I can only hope that putting it all back together won't take too much time, given the shop labor rates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (417.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Frutza

Looks great! Sucks you had to repair the floor but better before more damage
Old 03-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
RayChez1

Yea! Looks like they are doing a great job. And yes it is expensive for the labor charge. Here in California or Nevada I believe they charge like $125.00 per hour. But sometimes we have to bite the bullet and get it done right and hope that the job was done correctly so you will never have that problem again.

Now as to the water from the refrigerator when recycling the water on mine goes to a tray collector on the inside, back part of the fridge where the fins are located. Then at the end of that tray is a small nipple where a small quarter inch hose is connected to it and it dumps it out to another small tray on the outside compartment where you have all your fridge controls. The tray outside will evaporate that water. That little hose that goes to the outside has a small hole at the end of it. It will get clogged up at times and you need to get an ice pike or something to that nature to unclog it by poking into the hole and reopen the drain. IF NOT! you are going to get water over filled inside tray and it will be all over your floor again. So make sure that little hose in unclogged.
Hope that helps!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
jamesham

Watching this thread closely because I am thinking of ripping up the old blue carpet in the front of my GS motorhome. The slideout part really scares me. I was thinking of doing it myself, but your professional job looks really great. The steel plate repair is a great idea. Would not have thought of solving it that way. We may have unknown damage in front of the refrig because GS put in about 3 feet of Oak wood flooring between frig and sink, so the subfloor could be damaged and not show until everything is removed.

[QUOTE=jlmanatee;30310]I'm having new flooring installed in my Sun Voyager over the winter. We discovered that there was a very bad section of
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
jlmanatee

There are several more pictures of the work being done in my gallery.
https://www.gsowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=63
Old 03-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
bbybee

Did you not turn the space over your Microwave in to a storage cabinet? I would like to also but would have any work in progress pic. of that project?

Thans,
buck
Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
jlmanatee

No, I did not. Interesting idea though
Old 03-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
bbybee

Ok thanks just checking. Im going to try this summer to gat that done ...

Buck
Old 03-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Mike1931

Although mine is a 2004 super “c” Endura by Gulfstream. We had the same problem but much worse. We ended up replacing 6 ft area of the floor from side to side. Had to take out the refrigerator, furnace, pantry, and more on the passengers side. All the way across the coach to the drivers side wall. This meant taking out the complete bathroom, the walls too. Then to find out the floor joists were 1”x1” square tubing on 43” centers. Do we build additional floor joists and supports. I think I went a little over kill but you can drive a Mack Truck across it now. Also took out the sliding bedroom closet, and bed. Then from the outside of the coach, I put in a 1/4” steel plate under the floor so the support rollers ride on the new steel plate that took a bunch of sag out of the slide and all the seals lineup like they’re supposed to. In ending, I want to say I feel your pain. But you may want to see if the outside slide seals lineup where they are supposed to. Just saying.
Mike Root
Tulalip Washington
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote