Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
SunSport

Default A/C Help!

My overhead a/c comes on but blows very little and not getting cold, just a little cool. Does it need freon? Filters? I called the Rv Shop and they said I need a new a/c and it going to cost me $1300 put a new one in. I have a 1997 Sunsport.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
RJ82much

One step at a time: Is the fan turning? You can see it with a flashlight. Remove the filter cover & filter (held with plastic clips). While down, clean your filter with water.

At the beginning of every season, I have to stick something long & skinny up into the fan blade & force it to turn. Once I've spun it a couple times, remove the tool & turn on the power to the ac. Check your thermostat is set to "cooling" & the fan to "manual" and the temperature set to colder than the room.

Fan turning? - there has to be air blowing. No cold air? - something wrong with ac unit. Get back to us.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
11B

As RJ said its very important to clean those filters and keep them clean. I was in the heating and air game for twenty years and made a good living on service calls olny to find that people had dirty filters or an obstuction of some type blocking the air flow.

RV AC units are a sealed system and have no way to add freon to them that's why the service shop said it had to be replaced.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
SunSport

Default One problem solved need anotherone solved.

Well we ended up having to replace the front a/c and found out that the back a/c was blocked by sealing tape. So all is working. Except I found out this weekend that i can only run one a/c at time. This sucks because one a/c can't keep up with the middle of the day heat index. Is there anything i can do to operate both a/c?

I have a 30amp 1997 Sunsport workhorse
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
RJ82much

Yup, 30 amps is 30 amps. Both a/c's at same time plus other household items (tv, coffee maker, etc) isn't going to work.

I've had moderate success at 30-amp camp sites & hot weather by setting both a/c units to "cool" and both fans to "manual" (on all the time). If you keep the fans going you eliminate the power surge as they start up. Only the compressors are cycling. Try not to use other 120 volt devices such as microwave or coffee maker.

Another tip is to use one A/C for cooling (with fan set to "manual"), the 2nd A/C set for only fan-only & cooling off. It will help circulate to air. We also carry a couple floor fans to help with circulation. The final tip I've learned is to (believe it or not) open the ceiling vents. Hot air hangs at ceiling level and will be exhausted. Cold air falls to the floor. At first thought, this seems very wasteful, but try it. You might be surprised.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
SunSport

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give it a try when i go out next time.