Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
SunnyAZ

Default Transfer Switch Buzzing

Hi, I just had my transfer switch replaced when it blew out several applicances on my last trip plugged in to 50amp with a surge protector. The work was done by Camping World and when I got the unit back there is a low buzzing sound coming from the new switch. I told them about it but they don't seem concerned.I have a FRED unit and the switch is under the bed which makes it more noticable when sleeping. Since the original switch went bad and had no buzzing noise can anyone tell me what is normal? I don't suspect any buzzing noise should be acceptable but confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks - Kevin
SunnyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
pgirardet

Default Re: Transfer Switch Buzzing

Hi
It sounds like model 40250-RVC from Surge Guard, made by TRC. I had one put in 2 months ago, under my bed. The paper work with the box said not to put it under the bed so I phoned the manufacture and they gave the reason that some boxes click or buss. They said to cycle the shore power by pluging and unpluging a few time and that would probably clear it up.
Hope this helps.
Allison Trans.
2010 Honda Fit Blue OX tow Bar
pgirardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
03heritagerider

I'm no electrical tech, but somehow I don't think a buzzing noise is normal.

I've replaced two transfer switches. The first simply stopped working (switching) properly, and I replaced it with an exact duplicate; an IOTA ITS-50R (took less than an hour).

I replaced the second one because there were some power anomalies and I thought it may have been the transfer switch again. It turned out to be something else, but I replaced it with a PowerMax PMTS 50 because IOTA no longer makes the switch.

End result...this is the 3rd transfer switch and NONE of them ever made a buzzing or humming sound. The only sound was when switching between shore, generator or inverter power, it would click when it made the switch... a click that was only audible when the bed platform was open.

You did not mention which transfer switch model you had, so I suggest you get the name off the cover and contact the distributor or manufacturer to ask if buzzing is normal.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
SunnyAZ

Transfer switch is from Progressive Dynamics PD52 50AMP. I'll try and call them to get their input. I agree it shouldn't be buzzing, cetainly don't think Gulfstream would have located it in the bedroom if that was normal.

Thanks for the reply's.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
SunnyAZ

Well the saga continues. Got the unit back, Camping World replaced at no charge. I really do like the service advisor we have, very helpful and caring. Tested the unit under 120v with no buzzing.

Now we just got back from our most recent trip. After 2-days plugged into 50 Amp service the buzzing started again. Everything runs flawless, no issues except the buzzing. I've read where it could be the armature not seating completely due to dust or particles. We tried blowing it out with compressed air as suggested but no change. Back to Camping World we go.

Now I'm sure Progressive Dynamics (PD) units are reliable but I'm wondering if I should have them (Camping World) try a different brand. At this point PD seems to sending the replacement at no charge so I'm not sure I want to take on an extra expense, but this will be the forth switch in the last six months.

Any recommendations on a replacement unit/brand? Should I have someone else take a look at my problem?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
03heritagerider

Kevin,

I think you need to be firm with CW. Tell them (and I'm sure they are aware) the story and insist they use a different brand. If that does not cure the problem, then you have a different issue. An issue they obviously mis-diagnosed.

I understand the additional cost concern. Best price I found on line for the PowerMax PMTS 50 Transfer Switch was $95.00 at invertersRus.com. The unit you currently have is selling for about $35 more. Not sure what CW charged you for the initial part and installation.

While checking I stumbled onto this forum discussing your exact problem with the PD unit. You may want to check it out. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 685280.cfm