Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Capt_Bill_USMC

Default Hitch Receiver

Hello!

Was all excited to connect my bike rack to my Gulfstream Tourmaster. I noticed that the receiver (2") was really far underneath the frame. I measured and the receiver hole is about 7" from the bumper. Is this normal?

I realize they make extension tubes but that lowers the amount you can tow with, since it's basic physics that the longer the arm, the less weight it can support. So what do people do? Not so much worried about my bike rack obviously but if I ever wanted to tow a trailer or a car with it.

Thanks!

Bill
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Chuck v

Bill,

My hitch receiver was not flush with the rear bumper as well...this is common. The hitch was used with a tow bar system to allow towing my Acura SUV four wheels down, so it was less than the rated 10,000 lbs of the hitch and did not have any appreciable carry weight to speak of. I recall the hitch was rated for about 1000 lbs carry, so even with a stinger extension for a bike rack you should be well in limits.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thanks Chuck! That's what I thought regarding the bike rack, but all the extensions I saw were rated for no more than 3,500 lbs. So I suppose as long as I keep the trailer below that I should be good. Currently, my boat is pretty close to that amount as I recall.
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Thanks Chuck! That's what I thought regarding the bike rack, but all the extensions I saw were rated for no more than 3,500 lbs. So I suppose as long as I keep the trailer below that I should be good. Currently, my boat is pretty close to that amount as I recall.
You might not need an extension. Mine is behind the splash guard also but a standard hitch works fine, no interference.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Chuck v

I agree with Restorium -- the extension may only be needed for an attachment that goes up vertically at the receiver like a bike rack... My tow bar and most trailer tongues will work at the present semi-recessed location of the factory receiver.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
UAHaerospace

One time, with our trip thru Canada and around Alaska in 2017, for about 13,000 total miles, I had MULTIPLE receiver accessory hitches, to carry both our Kyak, on an aluminum cargo carrier, a 4-bike rack setup, AND the Blue Ox towbar for our tow vehicle... with narry a problem.

It was an interesting setup, with no less than two accessory receivers, an 8" inverted drop hitch extension, and the tow bar receiver. Since the car weighs less that 3,000lbs, it was no problem, and worked quite well on our 10k rated hitch - No problems with the height of the hitch, and no problems with the turning radius.

(our bike rack was actually used as a portable two-panel Solar mobile articulating carrier, allowing me to carry the two 100w solar panels at the rear of the coach, articulate them down when parked, and tilt them as needed....sweet!)

have fun! : )
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
bbaluski

Wink too short for me.

I tried a double hitch for my bike rake and it was too short. Added a short extension and fixed the problem I also put a bike rack on the car I tow.

Towever 84332 Trailer Hitch Extension Receiver Tube Extenders, 7 inches Length, 3500 lbs. GTW

YITAMOTOR Hitch Adapter Dual Hitch Extension 2" Receiver Trailer Towing Bicycle Extender
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote