Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
tinapetel

Default Another Visa owner reporting inside tire wear

Another Visa owner reporting inside tire wear on facebook Gulfstream Visa Owner's Community.

Stephen Hiramoto
I have a Visa 19ERD that I bought last June. Anyone else having problems with their trailer burning up the inside shoulder of the tire? The dealer had to reset the axle because it was not put on straight, but that did not fix it. They re-measured and everything is in the right place, but now Gulfstream just wants to give it back to me without solving the problem. This is my fourth trailer and I've never had this kind of issue.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
tinapetel

Default Re: Another Visa owner reporting inside tire wear

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gulfstre ... 9029912166
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
oboereeds

I finally got my trailer back from the dealer today. Gulfstream has provided two Goodyear Marathon tires (so they are very nice tires) but did not approve the replacement of the axle. The dealer both informed and showed Gulfstream the posts on this website and they claimed to have NO knowledge of the problem. I guess time will tell if my axle is one of the defective ones or not as I have plenty of driving planned before the warranty expires in June....
oboereeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
leonmacha

Yes, tire wear is a big problem. Lippert components builds the axle out of camber. Must be replaced. Do not let Gulfstream and Lippert put you off. They will replace tires and axle and pay for labor. File your complaint following notes in owners manual. Then hope that the new axle is built right. That means putting on another 3000-5000 miles before you know. Then you are out of warranty!!!!!!!! If my new axle does not do the trick, I will replace with a conventional axle and springs, and that will give me more ground clearance. Maybe a chance to install an axle that has a higher capacity than the rated GVW!!!!!!! I am convinced that the axles on the VISA are under-engineered.
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
TXDego

Holy Smokes, glad that I decided out of the blue to check the forum. My Visa 19RSD ate both tires after one trip, call it 2000 miles total on my trailer. I replaced the tires thinking it was just cheap tires. I am going to take a picture tonight and post it up, was thinking something had to be wrong to eat a new set of tires so fast.

If anyone has any information on how to go about getting this issue resolved, please share.
TXDego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
tinapetel

Notify your dealer. My dealer (M's RV Sales & Services,5010 Vt Route 12, Montpelier, VT) has been VERY helpful in getting the factory involved with the resolution of this problem.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
TXDego

Here are a couple of photos of my tires, this is after one trip from Texas to New Mexico and back, max mileage 2K total on these tires.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
toaobigal

I had one tire showing the same kind of wear, during my big trip vacation (2000 miles)but it was because it had only 15 psi in it instead of recommended 50-60 psi. The other side stayed at the right pressure and it shows no abnormal wear. Your picture looks like the tires were underinflated.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
TXDego

Both sides look like this, this is just one of the tires. Checked the pressure before leaving house, using a very good tire gauge, inflated both to 65psi. Never bothered to check again. Was only gone 12 days so can't imagine losing that much air in that short a period. Guess anything is possible.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
tinapetel

Tires and axle on my 2011 Visa, replaced after 5000 miles by Gulf Stream on Warranty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0211.JPG (64.6 KB, 6399 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0210.JPG (48.6 KB, 6399 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0206.JPG (76.6 KB, 6399 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
toaobigal

These new pictures are different than the other one posted earlier: they show abnormal wear on the inside of the treads. That situation shows either negative camber or toe out on the wheel, either way, you should not see this on an axle like the one on our trailers.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
deltamark

Default NHTSA Report

I experienced a blowout on the highway because of this issue. GS reimbursed me for tire replacement. That doesn't solve the problem.

Here is a repost from the GS Visa service manual. I checked tonight and am surprised that no one else has submitted a report on this issue. Doing this may lead to a recall and be the only way GS will take any further action.

"If you believe that your vehicle has a defect that could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Gulf Stream Coach."

"If NHTSA receives similar complaints, it may open an investigation, and if it finds that a safety defect exists in a group of vehicles, it may order a recall and remedy campaign."

The NHTSA web site is https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm or 1-800-424-9393
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
KJR

I've been looking at these trailers for a possible purchase of the 17rwd but this thread has me concerned.
Is is possible the previous examples of tire failures the trailer is overloaded and exceeding 3500lbs? Maybe the axle can't take the load past 3500lbs. There can't be much payload to these trailers. I notice the tires of these and other small "lightweight" trailers are 14" C load rate to about 1750 lbs each. They work OK in tandem axles but single axles they carry more weight. It would be better to have 15" D load rating set of tires. Are Dexter axles better than the current axles manufacturer? Why doesn't GS use 15" tires on the Visa? I know to save money. These are Chinese tires and who knows the quality.

Kelvin
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
jetjock

Check the: "VISA 19ERD Bent Axle" posts for more info on this problem. Note my post on 03 Jan 2012.
Lippert Axles paid me for the torsional axle I had replaced with a standard spring axle in June 11.
Gulf Stream indicated that it was Lippert Axles problem, so my dealer sent all my documentation & pictures directly to Lippert. I don't know if the fact that I included an official government Weight Scale receipt, showing that I was below the 3500 lb. max. axle weight, had anything to do with it.
I was lucky. My dealer was very helpful with this problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
tinapetel

I am on my 3rd set of tires as reported previously on this forum. On the first set of tires, the dealer replaced the axle and tires on my 19' Visa due to premature wear. Then the factory replaced the inner fender wells after a 2nd set of tires wore out prematurely. I now have over 8500 miles on my 3rd set of tires with even wear across the treads. The treads appear to be about 50% worn which I would guess is some where in the normal wear pattern. I believe my problem has been solved with the installation of the newer style fender wells. My dealer, M's RV in Berlin, VT, was very persistent with the factory in getting this problem resolved
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Roy Buzzard

To me that is too much wear. I have never had a problem with tires wearing out at all. I typically replaced tires every 5-6 years, but that is due to UV damage/dry rot.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Timothy

Depends on the brand of tire and the thickness of the tread. ST tires usually don't have a lot of tread depth anyway and the smaller diameter tires on the visa will wear faster. If the tread wear is even I'd say your good.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
elmerfud

I just encountered the same problem of excessive inside tire wear on my 19RJU built in may of 2011. It occurred after only 900 miles. The right brake doesn't work much either. My dealer immediately volunteered to replace the axle and tires. My guess is there is a problem with the original design and Gulfstream knows about it. I will lit you know how it all turns out.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
bobnpenguin

Hello everyone! We just had the same problem last month. Took our 2011 Visa RSD on a two week vacation and found the tire wear on both tires. I immediately started doing a search and found this thread. <thank you> Our tires look exactly the same as the ones posted here. We had to buy new tires to get back home. We took our RV back to the dealer and explained that many people are having the same issues. They told us that called Gulfstream and asked if it looked like we hit a pothole, because that is what would cause it. Supposedly, Gulfstream said it was our fault and that they would not change anything. (what the heck??) The dealer checked the axle and found loose spindle nuts. The mechanic said these are the nuts that hold the wheel to the axle. The dealer said they fixed the problem. Don’t know how much to believe from them at this point. We will put more miles on our RV and find out. At this time, we are unhappy with the poor service of the RV dealership and Gulfstream. It’s our first RV, and we have only had it since May 2012. Any suggestions besides putting more miles on the RV?
bobnpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
jetjock

Check my post on page 1 of this topic: "jetjock » 10 Mar 2012 17:51"
Also check the posts on topic: "VISA 19ERD Bent Axle"
I think the primary reason Lippert paid for the spring axle I had put on in Whitehorse was that I immediately notified
my dealer who supported me plus I had a Government Weigh Scale report showing that I was not over the axle weight.
It is very obvious that some of the axles are either bent on delivery or go out of line almost immediately.
If your dealer won't help you, contact Lippert directly and complain loudly:

Lippert Components. Inc. - Plant #39
Service and Warranty
2703 College Ave.
Goshen, IN 46528
(866) 524-7821
Find us on the web at: http://www.lci1.com