Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
Larry

Default Big Foot levelers

I have a 2000 Sun Voyger 34'. The rear levelers are located about midway between the rear axel and the hitch. when ever I enter or exit a parking lot the base plates drag very hard. I know that this is going to distroy them.

How much trouble is it to relocate these closer to the rear axel. has anyone else experienced this problem.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Larry,

Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum!

We are glad to have you join us and look forward to your joining in on some of our discussions.

As far as relocating your rear jacks, It would probably be quite an undertaking since all the hydraulic hoses would have to be moved and if the holes are not in the frame or as on our coach there is a mounting plate for the jacks that is actually welded to the frame.

You don't mention the chassis you have. Maybe that would help some with a recommendation. SunVoyagers have been built on several different chassis over the years in diesel and gas. You can put your chassis info in you signature like I have then it will always be listed on every post.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
earljan34

Welcome Larry, On my 05 Sun Voyager the rear jacks are about 3' or more behind the rear end and do not hit. Dumb question are you shore they are retracting all the way? Maybe there is something in the way that stops them from retracting all the way or even the fluid being low? Just some things to check.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

Welcome to the forum Larry. Its nice to have you join us. Sorry I have no suggestions for you. Good luck with it. Happy Camping.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
darbyjudy

Could it be that they are just too low. If so maybe you can raise them on the frame. I knew a fellow that had a Condor and the front levelers hit and they had them too low, they raised them on the frame and it solved the problem. I have a 2004 Sunvoyager and mine are just a short ways behind the rear axle and I don't have any problems with them hittinig and my motor home is very low.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #6
Larry

Thanks for all of the responses. The chassie is a Ford and I believe it is a F53 I would have to look at the paperwork to be positive. The levelers are retracted all of the way up and still drag. I have looked at the mounting system and they can be raised one mounting hole which is only about 1"-2" I don't think that is going to make any differance in the big picture..

I was hoping for someone with my same problem that knew of the correct fix. I guess I will have to be the one to work it out.

Thanks for the suggestions

Larry
Old 11-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
Thanks for all of the responses. The chassis is a Ford and I believe it is a F53 I would have to look at the paperwork to be positive. The levelers are retracted all of the way up and still drag. I have looked at the mounting system and they can be raised one mounting hole which is only about 1"-2" I don't think that is going to make any differance in the big picture..

I was hoping for someone with my same problem that knew of the correct fix. I guess I will have to be the one to work it out.

Thanks for the suggestions

Larry

Larry,

Sorry no one had the answer for you, BUT I think I would try and raise them up the one hole that would give you 1-2" that might make the difference between dragging and not.

The other thing is that maybe your springs in the rear actually need to be re arched or a leaf added. Over time a spring suspension can weaken and actually lower the coach without one noticing.

Good luck, whatever you decide and keep us informed with your fix and results.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Larry

Thanks GStream40

I have not ruled out the ride height of the coach as they all are really low to the ground. It would be differant if the rear hitch was dragging but thats not the case. I know that all of the Sun Voyagers built with mine must be having the same problem. I was hoping that someone else had fixed it and I could benifit from their Knowledge. I have looked into Air Bags for the rear but I don't want to drive around with the rig standing on it's nose all of the time.

I guess I could put the airbags on with a pump and then pump them up when I need to pull into a shopping center or Gas station. This seem like such a waste of effort, when the factory should have known what would happen with the poor location of the lifts. It's not the first rig that they built.

Still dragging my wagon

Larry