Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
sdkid

Default 97 GS 8325.... Sun Sport??

Looking at this unit. Appears to be a Sun Sport? Low miles and low price. Looking for pro's and cons on this model, and GS in general. 32' with a slide, what can I expect for a reasonable price with 25,000 miles on it. Looks pretty nice in the pics, 2hr drive to see it though.
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: 97 GS 8325.... Sun Sport??

The NADA guide says value is around $13K -- but it all comes down to condition and how the unit was maintained.
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1997/Gulf ... 830/Values

Is it a dealer or a private party?

Appliance condition and the age of the tires are two major cost determining items if replacements are needed, and this is beyond the normal considerations of engine/transmission/brakes and other "vehicle" related concerns. For any unit stored outside most of its life, be very sure there is no water damage/leakage and that the roof is in good condition. Also check carefully for signs of rodent issues...

There are several on-line buying guides like this one:
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...rhome_tips.php

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
sdkid

Thanks Chuck. I've heard varying reviews about GS coaches. I don't want to get into a poorly built unit. What is the general opinion of the Sun Sport?
Its at a Camping World in Somerset, SD........

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/cla ... am/424673/

The build plate shows 16" tires. Do these drive well with them? Most that I am looking at have 19".
Old 10-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Chuck v

My 2007 GS Tour Master 40C was purchased used and I knew going in what I was choosing to replace/upgrade, so I factored that into the offered price. These coaches had a lot of features for the price from the factory and were generally good values new, but there have been many stories on this site and elsewhere about the sometimes lax quality control that was evident in individual units. Mine has been OK and I am handy enough to address the little things (mostly cabinet hardware, etc...) I have replaced the original TV sets with full HD modern ones, and added storage organization both in the coach and in the basement compartments. Upgrades included better faucets in the kitchen and bath, full sine wave inverter (my unit has a residential refrigerator...) and a washer with more features than the one it came with -- we kept the dryer. Moving appliances like the washer into and out of the coach is a challenge and I recently replaced the electronics on my 23 cu ft fridge rather than get a new one, as it would have meant removing the windshield to get the old one out and new on in (forklift required... )

The propane fridge in your unit is not too big to take out the doorway -- but you might want to see if it has been the subject of any recalls...these run on a flame and there is always a certain level of fire risk.

Hard to say what the actual condition is on a unit of the age of the one you are considering -- you pretty much have to see it in person to judge for yourself. Clearly the carpet needs to be replaced. If the unit has had pets and/or smokers you may not want to deal with trying to get it odor free unless you plan to replace all the upholstery/drapes/shades as well as the carpets. It appears to be priced right at the market value according to NADA. Was it stored inside (or at least under cover) during the winters?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
sdkid

Thank you for the response Chuck. We are entry level, and this unit would be at the top of our price range. I can fix the little things myself. With something of this age repairs are expected. I will have see this in person to make a final decision.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
sdkid

How do 16" tires hold up on a coach of this size? Are there any pro's/cons versus the larger tires?