Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
ash

Question 1997 gulfstream scenic cruiser coach electrical problem

hi everyone i have 1997 scenic cruiser
the coach switch wont stay on and i hear the a clicking noise in the battery control center
i check the coach batteries and they have zero , but my inverter is completely dead , its not charging i dont know why and even if plug to shore power nothing works in the coach no appliances , just 2 120v power outlets , i dont know why my appliances are not working with shore and why the inverter is not working
please help me
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
CoachStreamr

do you really have an inverter or are you talking about the converter (while on Shore Power) and its 12v circuits in the RV?

Did you check all AC Circuit breakers and reset any if needed?

Did you check all the battery terminals? Make sure they are not cracked broken.

After we bought out Coach, we were using it one day and my 12v circuits stopped working. After careful inspection, noticed the positive House bank battery connector had a temporary repair connector (like the "cheap lead terminal" on the left below) that was cracked and the converter's protection fuses blew. It probably was breaking the connection/disconnected (from vibration) while we were in/using the Coach which was parked next to our house.

I had that battery terminal connector repaired with a permanent heavy duty connector and checked all the rest (having several re-done as well and crimped properly and insulated) by the local Interstate Battery Distributor. The only charged $60 for an hour's work and that included him driving to our house. I then replaced those the two fuses in the converter and all was good.

No issues since.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
ash

hi thank you so much for replying to my message
yes i have a inverter charger i dont know where the converter is located
i checked the coach battery connected to the inverter and they are dead zero
tried to charge them with a portable charger and they wont charge
but still i should get power to the coach interior appliances and lights with shore power but i dont get only three 3 power outlets that have 120 v in them thats it ?
also the inverter is completely dead no light even if turn on and off , also the coach switch wont stay on when push it i hear a click and its in the battery connector center ?
i am really lost i dont have rv electrical experience i hope you guys help me with solutions and thank you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102263862_3704189889597245_5225594759641359388_o.jpg (227.6 KB, 4 views)
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
CoachStreamr

You may want to remove your batteries and have them checked at your local auto battery shop, perhaps you have a Interstate Battery Distributor near? They will check each battery for free, even if the test is over a few days.

You do want to find and know where your converter is.. and of course check it.

This may help:
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...utor-locations

You don't need to have Interstate Batteries. They should be willing to check yours no matter the brand. Make sure you get the local distributor location, not the regular auto parts/repair it services in your area.

This is ours: https://www.yelp.com/biz/interstate-...ry+replacement

I would find your normal AC circuit breakers and check those and verify your shore power's circuit breaker is not tripped.

To me, that Inverter was not a GulfStream installation but I'm new to GulfStream as of 2017. Things are much cleaner (installed) on our older Coach.

I think this is your Inverter manual: http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Heart_Freedom_10.pdf

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 06-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
CoachStreamr

btw, it helps to add all your Coach's model/specs in your Forum Signature, see bottom of my Posts.

You should be able to edit your forum signature here:
https://www.gsowners.com/forums/prof...=editsignature

Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Steve Little

You should have a coach and chassis switch. Mine are in the entry stairwell. They allow you to shut off the coach batteries, the chassis batteries, or both. The switches control large relays that are located behind the circuit board in the Battery Control Center box. My bet is the coach battery relay is shot. Thus the relay clicks but it’s not staying closed. Thus the light on your switch goes out. Another possibility is the switch itself is bad, not allowing the relay to stay closed (on).
Steve Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
RayChez1

You mention that there are no lights lite up on the inverter which tells me that the circuit breaker on the inverter itself needs to be reset. If you look carefully at the front of your Xantrex 458 you should have a button in the front that needs to be reset. Push it in and see what happens. Now as to having AC power only on three outlets, it sounds like you have a GFCI electrical outlet that has tripped and needs to be reset. There should be an outlet in the kitchen under the cabinets, there is also one in the lavatory in the bathroom, one on the compartment on the passenger side if equipped with a compartment television which on mine is under the passenger seat. Also I have a GFCI on an outlet for the block heater in the inverter compartment on the top. Most likely the one that has tripped is the one in the kitchen. Just push the button in and it will reset.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
RayChez1

I forgot to ask ASH, what kind of coach do you have? Put it on your Signature so we can help with better information.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
Steve Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I forgot to ask ASH, what kind of coach do you have? Put it on your Signature so we can help with better information.
RayChez1. He has a 1997 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser. I have a 2001 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser. So likely, it is a diesel pusher on a Spartan chassis . I didn't notice he had no lights on. The reset may be the problem. Also The fusible link may be blow in mine, it is in the inverter-charger and cord box at the driver rear. I think that's the line that feeds 110 to the inverter charger.
Steve Little is offline   Reply With Quote