Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
bbaluski

Default Getting an old rig ready for a big trip.

My little BT Cruiser 5230 is now 17 years old. I was reading some blogs and was wondering if members could help create a list of what could be replaced to prevent issues when on the road. Our last trip the fridge died, the trip before plumbing leak in bathroom vanity, I saw a post describing an alarm went off and most detectors only last 7-8 years. Which ones need changing. We go across country about twice a year plus lots of little trips.

What would you change out before the next big trip?

Does any one have a good check list they would like to share?
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

LPG, SMOKE DETECTORS, FIRE EXTINGUISHERS have expirations, all should be on Inspection List? LPG HOSES at tank age out. Changes/ replacements should be determined w/ a GOOD checklist and GOOD, EXTRA Close Inspection of items that you cannot readily buy on the road. START w/ roof inspection, as leaks/ delam can lead to siding/ roof peel while traveling. Spare serpentine/ hoses can be as important as a spare tire to saving DAYS of delay? LUCK
Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
jamesham

Smile

Our inspection list before a big trip starts with the tires, beginning with the DOT dates. 5-6 years old is my personal limit for peace of mind. Any rubber parts on the engine deserve a look: belts, hoses, couplings, caps, etc. If a long trip or start of season, fresh oil and filter change, and top off all fluids.

The internal RV safety alarms like smoke, propane, CO, get new batteries or replacements according to the 7 year sticker on the back. Weather Alert radio batteries, Fire Extinguisher shakeup, motion alarms, dash cam, backup cameras, etc.

We fill and pressurize the water system, fire off water heater, frig, furnace, AC, microwave, TV, etc. Any problems or leaks will become obvious.

If this sounds like a lot of work, it really is a pleasure to know we are going to be going someplace and everything will be running right...at least when we leave the driveway. Our baby is now 23 years old so something always needs to be replaced or repaired. Easy to do at home, more difficult and expensive on the road.

That said, 100 miles down the road, we may run over a chunk of crap in the road and tear up a tire, changing plans instantly, but that is part of the RV adventure called life!

[QUOTE=bbaluski;31350]My little BT Cruiser 5230 is now 17 years old. I was
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
bbaluski

Made it across country and back. We used I40 and stayed at some of the nicest federal parks. Glad I had my little BT it fit everywhere. Never paid more than $25 with my senior pass. Thanks to my check list everything went well. We did have touble with the A/C the last few days. ended up needing a new control panel.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote