Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
jstwelve

Default HELP!! Winterizing - Gulfstream Visa 19 RSD

Hi everyone,
I own a Gulfstream Visa 19RSD and it's my first time winterizing it so I'm having some issues... I've emptied the fresh water and hot water tanks. Both grey and black water tanks are also empty Closed both valves to the hot water tank and opened the middle valve to bypass it. There was no siphon tube or hose to get antifreeze into the plumbing system but I found a caped (black screw cap) access beside the hot water tank which goes through the hot water line (red piping). So I bought a 3 foot piece or transparent hose with a fitting to allow me to connect the water line to the hose and the hose to the antifreeze container. That said, when I turn on the trailer pump the antifreeze doesn't get sucked in... How do I do this?? I checked the pump which is located at the other end of the trailer but I can't seem to figure out what I have to do...

Any help ASAP would much appreciated as it is getting pretty cold here in New Brunswick Canada.

Thank for any direction you can provide me.

jeansimon
Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Timothy

I'm not sure what you found but its not for adding anti-freeze. There should be a valve near the water pump on the suction side that you add a short tube and suck the anti-freeze out of the jug. If there isn't one you can add it, it's really easy. You can buy the kits at any RV store. Here's one from Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rizer-kit/6279
Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
jstwelve

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the quick reply. It felt wrong trying to pump the antifreeze from there. It just didn't make sense... That said, I almost poured the antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pumped it from there because I couldn't figure anything else. Can I do that as long as I flush it out in the spring?? I think your suggestion is much better, thanks for the link to camping world, I will try to find this kit locally.

I appreciate your help!

jeansimon
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Timothy

You can pump it from the water tank but you will probably need to add several gallons to get it to pump.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
jstwelve

Hi again,
Yup you're totally right, it would take several gallons if I used the fresh water tank as the source. I went out today but was unable to find a kit like the one from camping world. So I went to several stores to find parts to build one. So it's not exactly the same but similar. The issue is that it still doesn't work, doesn't seem to be enough suction...

So here what I did:
1) Cut the existing half inch pipe connecting the pump to the fresh water tank;
2) Installed a "T" joint with screw-able clamps between the two cut pipes because I was unable to find a "T" valve;
3) Installed a small piece of half inch pipe to the bottom of the "T" and attached a connector to a half inch PVC compact ball valve
4) Put another connector on the other side with a 30 inch pipe long enough to go into the anti-freeze container.

It's all connected put there doesn't seem to be enough pressure or suction to pull the anti-freeze when the pump is turned on... I turned on one of the faucets and still nothing. I think the problem may be that it's still connected to the empty fresh water tank which means I would have to install a valve going to the tank and close it while the one to the anti-freeze is open.

Anyways I'm running out of patience... The only reasons I didn't bring it to my local dealer to get it winterized is that it was quite the hassle getting it up my steep driveway for the winter (using spacers to jack it up) as the Gulfstream Visa is super low of the ground and I didn't want to go through the process to get it out again. Also, I'm pretty handy as I have a lot of experience in construction and thought I could handle this easily but I can say I'm no plumber...

Any ideas? I don't know how clear all of this is to you so if you're still willing to provide some insight I could send you pictures of what I've done if that would help.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help, it's much appreciated.

jeansimon
Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
tinapetel

I had the dealer winterize mine as I had it there for other work, so I have no direct experiencing with my Visa, but I have winterized the previous travel trailer I had.

You have the HW tank drained and the remainder of the plumbing from what I read. The next easy step it to get a blowout fitting to put in where you attach your hose for campsite water supply. These are readily available at RV stores or Walmart for less than $5. Use one of these and blow out your pipes with compressed air. Open each faucet one at at time. including the shower, and flush the toilet. Pour RV antifreeze in the water tank and run your faucets, shower and toilet one at a time until undiluted antifreeze comes out. Pour some antifreeze in your u-traps under the sinks and shower. I am guessing that 2 or 3 gallons will do it, but if I were you I would get 5 gallons while you are at the store. (you can always use the leftover next year) The antifreeze is about $4 or $5 a gallon.

Another suggestion is to ask your dealer how to do it. They probably have already done some like yours.

Good Luck

Pete Collins
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwelve
Hi again,
Yup you're totally right, it would take several gallons if I used the fresh water tank as the source. I went out today but was unable to find a kit like the one from camping world. So I went to several stores to find parts to build one. So it's not exactly the same but similar. The issue is that it still doesn't work, doesn't seem to be enough suction...

So here what I did:
1) Cut the existing half inch pipe connecting the pump to the fresh water tank;
2) Installed a "T" joint with screw-able clamps between the two cut pipes because I was unable to find a "T" valve;
3) Installed a small piece of half inch pipe to the bottom of the "T" and attached a connector to a half inch PVC compact ball valve
4) Put another connector on the other side with a 30 inch pipe long enough to go into the anti-freeze container.

It's all connected put there doesn't seem to be enough pressure or suction to pull the anti-freeze when the pump is turned on... I turned on one of the faucets and still nothing. I think the problem may be that it's still connected to the empty fresh water tank which means I would have to install a valve going to the tank and close it while the one to the anti-freeze is open.

Anyways I'm running out of patience... The only reasons I didn't bring it to my local dealer to get it winterized is that it was quite the hassle getting it up my steep driveway for the winter (using spacers to jack it up) as the Gulfstream Visa is super low of the ground and I didn't want to go through the process to get it out again. Also, I'm pretty handy as I have a lot of experience in construction and thought I could handle this easily but I can say I'm no plumber...

Any ideas? I don't know how clear all of this is to you so if you're still willing to provide some insight I could send you pictures of what I've done if that would help.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help, it's much appreciated.

jeansimon
The problem with your configuration is that your trying to suck out of the fresh water tank and the jug at the same time. You need to add another valve between the water tank after the T you put in, then close that valve and open the valve you added to go to the jug. You may have to open and close a faucet a few times to get the pump to prime.
The kits come with a 3 way valve so only one valve is needed.