Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
nuthut

Default Inverter questions

Hello, I am really new in the RV game, so please bear with me. I finally got my Crescendo hooked up to shore power today. I have only a 15 amp outlet available where I am parked now. I found a 50 amp to 30 amp adaptor, then a 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor, and I have my 50 amp M/H plugged into a 15 amp service. The inverter works great - so great in fact, that I had the refrigator, both air conditioners, both TV's, auto satillite, and radio turned on, and I was thinking the inverter batteries would start discharging, but they actually were increasing in voltage as the inverter charged them. I did not have the washer/dryer or electric water heater (which would have sucked a lot of juice, I am sure) turned on.

I guess my question is why do I need a 50 amp service? Is it only because of the washer/dryer and water heater?

Do all of my electrical devices run from the inverter, or does the 50 amp service provide power directly? I have no idea, perhapy some of you guys do. Thanks if you can share information.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
mfa

I don't know of any way that you could have had both airconditioners running off of a true 15-amp service line. Are you sure both compressors were running, or just the fans?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
nuthut

Both A/C compressors were operating. I think the 15 amp service was powering my battery charger only. I guess the inverter batteries were powering the inverter, which was putting out the power for the A/Cs.

What I am trying to figure out is does the 50 amp service disable or bypass the inverter so the appliances run straight from the 50 amp? The inverter was working very hard to power up all those items, and I think it would not hold up under the pressure for long periods of time.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
nuthut

mfa, You are correct. I tried this afternoon again to see how long the A/C units would operate. I had both of them on, then got distracted, went outside for a couple minutes, and when I went back in everything was quiet. The 15 amp breaker inside the building had tripped. Both air conditioners were on for about 3 - 6 minutes before the breaker tripped.

Now, back to my question. What runs what? Does the inverter compete with the 50 amp service? Does the inverter run when the 50 amp is plugged in? Does the inverter shut off when the 50 amp is plugged in? Or is it all magic and I should not worry or be concerned about how it works as long as it works? I dont know, and maybe I dont need to know as long as I can push a button and something happens.

I do not have any problems. Everything seems to be working properly, I would just like to know how things work. Thanks if anyone can help.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Here is a link to Xantrex that gives a short explanation of how their inverters work.
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/8/learn.asp
If you want to know what your inverter runs, unplug the 110 volt power cord to your coach, make sure the inverter is in the "invert" mode, check to see what works and what don't. Usually it is the TV's, microwave, the 110 plugs at the TV accesory cabinet and a couple of plugins thru out the coach.
The inverter does NOT supply enough power to run the air conditioners or the refrigerator.
I am assumimng the you have a 2000 watt inverter since that is what is usually supplied.
On the Xantrex web page on the right side are some links with for Inverter Selection Worksheet that gives some explanation of wattage requirements for some items that might help you understand voltage to watts for your inverter size.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
nuthut

Thank you, GStream40. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I now understand how the converter works and how shore power works. I was completely out to lunch while wondering how the appliance was competing for power between the inverter and shore power.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
RJ82much

In the case of electric (& most things in life), you don't get somethin' for nothin'.

Last year, I camped at a park that only had 20amp service. Imagine my surprise when I was able to brew coffee, run A/C, TV, & even electric griddle! Holy Cow! It was magic. Actually not, the 20 amp service had NO circuit breaker, apparently just a big breaker in a utility shed serving a group of sites. It's a wonder I didn't smoke the wires dropping from the outlet into the ground! I'll bet the voltage was low.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote