Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
moikey

Default Atrium Owners

I owned a truck camper for the past 10 years and am looking to upgrade. We will be looking at a 2005 42' Atrium this coming weekend (1/27). I've seen a lot of post from people that have heard that the Atrium is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I would actually like to hear from Atrium owners about whether they would actually buy an Atrium now that they've owned one. These are the people whose can speak from experience.I am going to be retiring in a four years and our plans are to do a two year around the US trip (maybe Canada and Mexico as well). Heading north in the summer and south in the winter. This coach I will be looking at has 30,000 miles and supposedly been serviced every 3000 miles - looks good in the pictures anyway. Also, I believe I read somewhere about serious problems with Gulf Stream with the rear suspension. Can anyone confirm? Any information that anyone can provide about the Gulf Steam would be appreciated. Thanks all.
moikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Atrium Owners

Any coach that has that many windows will have problems with heat in the summer months where the temperatures get over 100 degrees, and the same goes for keeping heat inside in the winter. That is just common sense.

Now as to problems with the suspension, that is one I had never heard off before. The suspension is air ride and I know by experience on my Scenic Cruiser that it is the best ride you can have.

The coach company that had problems with the rear suspension was Monaco with its RR4 sway bars breaking. Freightliner or Spartan have never had that problems that I know off.

The Atrium is a big and spacious coach. Lots of room with its big slides. But like I said, the only thing that I would not like is all those windows. It is a beautiful coach, nice floor plan.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
moikey

Thanks for the quick reply Ray. It must be the RR4 sway bar issue I read about. I'll post results after the inspection on Friday. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking at on a Gulf Stream - I haven't been able to find anything other than a recall for a hydraulic hose related to some of the Atriums so that is positive.
moikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
boatguypat

I bought a 2004 Atrium a few month ago. Dug it out of the sellers yard in CT, drove it to Long Island, put on new tires and Frieightliner service, then drove it across the country to Los Angeles. The weather was moderate during out trip (September) and we have not used it that much since we got here. But i really love the space, floor plan, amenities. Still working out some bugs. Let me know if you buy it - we can probably offer advice to each other.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
boatguypat

Moikey - did you buy it?