Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
David Bott

Default ? Wiring at hitch connector - Tour Master or in General

Ok, here is one for you all as it has me nervous.

I bough a Toad-Charge to keep the new Outlook battery charged while towing so I do not have to pull the 50 amp Batt 1 fuse per the instructions.

http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html

So, I want to use the 12v DC power coming from the coach itself from the line I already have coming for the lights. Well, the 12V and the Ground.

Reading the instructions on this Toad-Charge, they say I can do it, but give a warning. Here it is...

Quote:
Q: Can I use my motorhome's existing DC power wiring and trailer hitch connector, instead of your 40 foot motorhome wire harness?

A: Yes, provided that your existing wiring and hitch connector are adequate for supplying up to 10 amps for the TOAD-CHARGE? Charge Controller, plus any other loads (i.e., transmission lube pump, supplemental braking system, etc.). Our TOAD-CHARGE? dinghy kit (sold above) is available separately for this purpose, and contains only the parts that install in the dinghy vehicle (i.e., charge controller, nylon wire ties, battery spices, mounting hardware, etc.) - You simply connect it to your motorhome's existing hitch connector and tow bar interconnecting cable.

Note that the motorhome wire harness included in our complete TOAD-CHARGE? kit includes a dedicated ground wire and connector pin, in order to minimize voltage drops. If you use your existing motorhome wiring and connector instead, this important advantage may be lost. Also, note that a circuit breaker MUST be present on your existing motorhome power wire - Without it, a fire hazard exists in the event of a wiring fault. If a circuit breaker isn't already present in your wiring, please consider purchasing the 10 Amp Thermal Circuit Breaker (sold above).

So, the questions is....

Does anyone know if the 12V line coming from the coach is already protected? I can not seem to find anything about this. They want the breaker as close to the coach battery Isolator as possible. (Thus not inside the dingy.) So just being concerned here for they mention "DO NOT OMIT THE DUAL THERMAL CIRCUIT BREAKER, OR A FIRE HAZARD WILL RESULT" (yes, in all caps and bold)

Thanks all.

David
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote