Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Zero650

Default 2004 Yellowstone CC Oil Temp

Hello I have a 04 Yellowstone Country Club with a 350 Cat.

I have not driven it that much yet. I took it on its first longer trip to move from Phoenix to New Mexico for the summer. When I started out I let the engine warm up for 15 minutes before starting off to let the air build up and also it was 34 out where I started it.

After the 15 minutes the oil temp was at 3/4 on the Oil Temp gage. I figured I would give it a mile or two to see if it would start to cool off. It did and the rest of the 300 miles with 3000ft of elevation gain with no issue and normal temps.

But is that normal that the Temp would rise so quick when the out side temp was in the upper 30s?

Thanks
Zero650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Frutza

Oil temp? Engine temp? Oil psi? Sounds like it's your oil pressure, and cold oil would be higher pressure
Old 04-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Swiss Man

If you did not drove for a while the thermostat valve could be deadlocked. There is a vitton gasket who can stick after a while. If you start it again after using a bit, it should not rise up that fast.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
RayChez1

The oil pressure on the Cat engine you have should go up a little high when the engine is cold, but once the engine warms up and it takes the coach to be rolling for a Cat engine to start warming up. Just idling the temperature will not even register on the gauges. Once you start driving then the oil gauge will settle any where close to halfway up. The water temperature will stay on level ground a little over a fourth on the gauge. But on long climbs it will go up and that is when you need to shift down in the gears to get the RPM's up. Not sure how long you have had the coach, but if the engine keeps getting too hot, it might need the CAC which is sandwiched to the radiator cleaned up. A person should at least once a year or two lift the cover of the bed to get to the back of the engine and I use Simple Green and wash from the inside of the coach through the bed box, spray it real good preferably with an electric pressure sprayer. Make sure to spray the CAC and the radiator, and you might as well spray the whole engine , allow about five minutes, then spray with water from a distance of about four feet away with the high pressure sprayer and wash everything from the engine to the CAC and radiator. You will never have an over heating engine if you do that. I actually start the engine while I am spraying it, that way the fan blows out the water through the fins and at the same time the engine will dry up faster.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Dennis4809

You have an oil temp gauge? We have a similar rig but no oil temp gauge.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
ghoney1

I have an 05 Yellowstone Country Club.
I had over heating issues. As the blow by hose ends right in front of the radiator, the oil particles get sucked up into the radiator. I had to replace the radiator as it was covered with oil from the blow by hose hose to the point it could not be cleaned with only 30k miles on it. I extended the bypass hose out the rear of the unit. No more issues. Runs cool as can be through the mountains.

just an FYI...for prevention
ghoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoney1 View Post
I have an 05 Yellowstone Country Club.
I had over heating issues. As the blow by hose ends right in front of the radiator, the oil particles get sucked up into the radiator. I had to replace the radiator as it was covered with oil from the blow by hose hose to the point it could not be cleaned with only 30k miles on it. I extended the bypass hose out the rear of the unit. No more issues. Runs cool as can be through the mountains.

just an FYI...for prevention
I never had the problem of the breather blowing out oil or fumes. On my coach since new had the tube out of the factory all the way down to where it comes out just above the rear mud flap, the one that goes across the rear of the coach. But it never did blow oil out even since new, but I did see a AirStream coach when I was at a resort in Cresent City and I could not believe my eyes how much oil it had sprayed out. I talked to the owner and he told me he had just gotten a revision from Caterpillar that the problem was too much oil in the crank case. On our 3126-E they said to reduce the amount of oil from 24 quarts originally, to 19 quarts and that would solve his problem. After that revision you would not hear of oil coming out of the breather tube. Still it is a good idea to extend that tube like on my coach all the way down because there are still oil fumes which would get on the radiator, mixed with dirt to plug it up.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil temp, yellowstone