Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
The Griz

Default Advice on Best Sidewall Sealant

Hello Folks,

Looking for advice on the best sealant to use on the sidewall of my RV. The sidewalls are Azdel. If you look closely at the two pics, the separation is between the base of the sidewall and where the bottom molding is. The pics aren't the best, but the separation is about an 1/8" and about 2" long.

I always hear about Dicor non-leveling caulk. But I also see a translucent factory caulk around windows...unsure what it is. I am also of the understanding NOT to use silicone.

What do you feel is the best sealant to use in this case???

Appreciate any helpful advice. Thank you,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220227_103637.jpg (186.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20220227_103731.jpg (148.0 KB, 17 views)
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Bike Dr

In areas like that I would use a Marine sealant called 5200, it comes in a caulk style tube all metal tube. It is pricey but well worth it. It doesn't have much of a shelf life after opening it so if you have other areas you can use the tube up so you don't waist it, I think It was like $35 a tube. Just a heads up once it on and cures it does not come off!! And is super strong!! And will not leak. And comes white or black..
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
The Griz

Thank you Sir! Sounds Iike some strong PERMANANT stuff! In doing research, ProFlex and ProSeal also came up. Are you familiar with them as well. If so, thoughts?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
Bike Dr

I am not familiar with pro flex or seal, I live by the water so 5200 is the product use in marine applications but has a wide range of use, and yes it is considered permanent but if you really needed to and work at it, it will come off its just very difficult and forms a great seal. Just be clean with it..
Old 03-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
RY469

Your "no silicone" is spot on for the roof. Use DICOR on the roof. Sidewalls however, silicone is preferred. We use a Dow product mostly at my Dealership. Matches factory products. Please do NOT use anything that sets up hard. Needs to stay flexible. I recommend "DOWSIL 999-A" it's a silicone building & glazing sealant. Works very well, comes in several colors and matches original product specs. My two cents worth as a Service Tech.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:41 PM   #6
Bike Dr

Just an added note the 5200 will remain flexible with a very strong bond that WILL NOT leak!! i used it on my Atrium slide and it has been the perfect choice, but like mentioned there are other products out there if you prefer something different! good luck!!