Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #1
AppliedThinking

Default 97 Sun Sport F53 front wheel bearing?

Seasons greetings to the list,
I have a 32ft Sun Sport that I am in the process of overhauling the front end while changing out the hydraulic jacks. Every grease joint has been lubed including the wheel king pins. The last piece is to check the front wheel bearings. I have a very large pump pliers that I used to try and pull the grease cap off. It did not budge. I also tried unscrewing just in case. No success.

The original grease cap has a mushroomed outer ring that suggest that it can be pulled off. This is typical of most bearing grease caps. I have used a rubber mallet in the past to loosen a grease cap but no way to do that with this configuration.

The question is, are these pull off grease caps or screwed in type?

These grease caps are in-set in the wheel brake drum. The RV only has 16k miles but I wanted to check for potential oxidation due to the age of the unit.

Your advise is valued, thank you!
Best Regards, JohnF
AppliedThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
hossross

Look for a 1997 Ford Truck F53 chassis manual on ebay, or google that model and year to see if Ford or other manual printer offers a book for that year. if you have your front and rear axle GVWRs from the lables on your motorhome it may be more specific, considering ford may have source the front axles from different manufacturers or designs according to capacity.

a quick search found a link i didn't follow it but as an example

1997 Ford F-53 Motorhome Chassis Owner Manuals https://www.ford.com › support › vehicle › owner-manuals
Find your Ford Owner Manual here. Print, read or download a PDF or browse an easy, online, clickable version. Access quick reference guides, ...
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote