Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
GregGarner

Default International 4200 insulation upgrade, GulfStream SuperC

I am in the process of purchasing a international Chassis GulfStream super C gladiator motor home, 2008 model. During the test drive, I noticed that the engine was pretty loud. I think I recall somewhere reading that later model Internationals had more engine insulation. I called the local International dealer, and they couldn't help with this question.

Does anybody out there know if they did add more noise insulation in the engine compartment, and if they did is this something that I could order and install myself or get the international dealer to install?

Thanks!

Greg Garner
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Texas TC

The engine is only loud while the cooling fan is activated. It will turn off after a while and it gets quiet in the cab. For some reason, it always runs while the engine is warming up and then shuts down. Mine, normally, turns on at 210 and off at 190 degrees. During winter months, it rarely comes on at all. As far as the insulation package goes, I do not have one. But, I was a an RV show in Dallas this weekend and saw a new SuperNova with an insulation package added under the hood. It was a gray spongy material attached under the hood area and on the fender wells. I do not know what the material was but it looked like it would be easy to install. Early in the SuperNova models, some of the folks had International install a sound deadening material so the International dealer should be able to find it in their parts list and install it for you if you want it. I would drive the new coach for a while, get accustomed to the fan situation, and then decide if sound deadening is actually necessary.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
GregGarner

Default Re: insulation

Thanks for the response, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I am in contact with an International dealer and hopefully he will be able to help me.

Does anyone out there have a part number for this insulation package by chance?

Greg Garner
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
GregGarner

Default Re: Insulation

Does anyone have some pictures of the insulation in the newer International 4200 chassis?

Maybe I could just buy some of that silver stuff that is used on the floors of some muscle cars and put it in myself.

Greg Garner
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Nanaeve

Default Insulation on 4200 International

Our 2009 Endura / International 4200 has some gray "foam rubber" type insulation on the hood and fenders. I guess it helps some, but I'm going to put some sound insulation and carpet in the cab. You would think for the price that they would have carpet in the cab, but such is not the case. The fan comes on during acceleration also.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Texas TC

Hummm, interesting, my fan is totally temperature driven. It does not come on during acceleration. Of the 27000 miles I have put on this coach, it probably took me 5000 miles to figure out the fan. I know they are different between coaches for some reason. Some folks have changed to electric fans due to malfunction of the fan drive. I have not had problems with mine.

Most of the Super C's I have seen are pretty sparse on cab amenities. All the needed driving and control equipment is available but none of the fluff. I, personally, enjoy not having carpet. It makes it much easier to keep clean. Just rinse out from time to time.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
JimBob

Default Engine compartment insulation

Howdy-

If you get your dealer to print you and ISIS vehicle information sheet, you will see an entry under warranty, labled "insulation eng compartment", indicating that batting was installed. I was advised and shown the installation when I inquired at my first service- they showed me and there it was. I can agree with Texas TC, after the fan quits running, the compartment is acceptably quiet for co driver DW and I.

The ISIS will also reveal lots of other information, including the fact that your engine warranty probably started when the vehicle was created, not as of the date you purchased the vehicle, which in my case was a difference of 8 months, which they corrected at the dealership.

I've heard of folks carpeting the cab interior to further make things a little quieter, and also heard of folks squirting foam insulation where they saw holes, ie under foot pedals to help with air intrusion. We had a situation with air rushing in at the window seals in our Super Nova 6312, which they fixed at the Intnl dealer but we still get some airflow in, particularly at the vent windows.

Good luck with your unit, you'll find there's a cadre of us on line that exchange quite a lot of information, tidbits, complaints, and yes, even good things about our coaches.... welcome aboard!

JimBob
08 Super Nova 6312, 11,550 miles
Currently at winter quarters in St Augustine Fl.
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
GregGarner

Default Re: insulation

Excellent advice, I will take it and get the ISIS data printed out. Thanks for that tip!

Could you take some pictures of the insulation some time and post them or send them to me?

Greg Garner
[email protected]
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
JimBob

Default Engine compartment insulation

Sorry, the unit is currently in storage not near us, and we won't be picking it up until around mid march when we return to Florida. I've put on my calendar to take a photo when we pick it up and will gladly forward it on to you if you still need it by then.

The dealer should be able to show you what they've done- or not.

JimBob
08 Super Nova 6362
Currently in winter quarters- St Augustine, Fl.
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
6372 Supernova

I added some insulation I bought at an autoparts store over the rubber flooring and added carpet. It seems to help a little but I still have a loud "grinding" noise coming from somewhere behind the dash. Maybe my local International dealer can help me.
6372 Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote