Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
coolchas11

Default Diesel Questions

Talk to me. We have a Sun Voyager gasser. I understand the factors of weight, stability, power associated with a DP. But aren't there a multitude of operating, servicing, checking, monitoring, etc. issues with a diesel? For example the post on the air filter. On a gasser that would never come to mind. I'm an individual who has little interest in "monitoring" a seemingly endless list of parts, functions and "to do's." Is a "diesel", then, for the person who likes these things or are my perspectives incorrect? In other words, I like to get in and get going not thinking about air pressure, vapor in the fuel line, etc.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
earljan34

If you are going to drive a diesel a lot they are great normal maint. but they are not designed to sit or drive 50mi every other weekend then they need all kinds of maint. I say this as a retired truck driver, They are made for the long hall and if keep in good repair will run 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles with no problem. last truck I had was pushing 350000 miles and just regular maint. But you have to drive them! Only my exp.

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Diesel Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchas11
Talk to me. We have a Sun Voyager gasser. I understand the factors of weight, stability, power associated with a DP. But aren't there a multitude of operating, servicing, checking, monitoring, etc. issues with a diesel? For example the post on the air filter. On a gasser that would never come to mind. I'm an individual who has little interest in "monitoring" a seemingly endless list of parts, functions and "to do's." Is a "diesel", then, for the person who likes these things or are my perspectives incorrect? In other words, I like to get in and get going not thinking about air pressure, vapor in the fuel line, etc.
If you understand the factors of weight, stability, power aasociated with a DP then you should understand WHY one owns a DP. There is no more to monitor in a diesel than there is in a gasser. Do you not check your air filter in your gasser? The post you are refering to is an exception rather than the rule for the filter.

On a diesel we have a gauge at the engine access that tells us when a filter is starting to clog, BUT that doesn't happen very often, did you see my reply to the post? Don't forget a diesel moves a lot more air thru the engine than a gasser does, that is why we have the large exhaust and intake filter.

The air pressure must build up for the suspension and the air brakes. It is automaticly monitored for us and let's us know if or when it is low.
About the only thing that must be monitored, like a gasser, is the fuel gage. but with a 150 gal. tank near 9 mpg I really don't have to monitor it too much. All this while moving a 32,000 capacity chassis down the road towing a 4,400 Ford Explorer.

No matter if a person has a gasser or DP, there are several checks that should be done on a daily basis, oil level, tire pressure, lights, etc.
In other words all the maintenance checks and safety checks to have a trouble free trip and travels no matter what RV ones owns.

Diesels aren't for everybody, but I am an old "gearhead" that has owned 5 diesels (3 diesel trucks and 2 DP coaches) and have found that a gasser is just not for me. Don't like the low power in the mountains and slowing down on the hills. I don't like having to install suspension "upgrades" to get a good ride or handling.

I do like the higher ground clearance when riding down the road and the ability to "lower" my coach by exhausting the air suspension for easy entry/exit. This is not available on any gasser that I know of.

Sort of reminds me of the saying, " If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
djqualls

I'm a new Coach owner (DP) and when I first got the unit and spent the first few nights reading every deatiled manual for all the components, i.e. Freightliner chassis, Caterpillar engine, Onan Generator. as the major's, then the general appliance and entertainment electronics I was a little bit overwhelmed but resolved to fall back to my pilot training and create a checklist of the "critical before cranking" tasks.

I read this thread and went and got out the book to my 4wd pickup and it has just as many "You Need to do's" as the major's listed earlier. I think that becuase we have driven gas vehicle's since 16 we tend to take vehicle issues for granted, and when poised with the magnatude of the DP we are falsely overwhelmed during the pre-purchase & honeymoon period. I went on a 3,000 mile trip in my Tour Master and now I'm much more familiar with everything and not so intimidating.

I remember when I wanted to fly a small Cessna and when I went up with the instructor I was afraid that I would never remember all of the neccessary tasks, and somewhat like a DP you just can't pull a plane over and jump out and re-do something. ..

I guess what I'm saying as a newbie to the whole DP thing. Just jump in with some determination and It won't be near as bad as it looks.

I can honestly say the good outweighs the bad. In my experiences from renting gassers I only considered a DP when I decided ownership.

Sorry to ramble. I always wanted to be a talk show host.....

Dave
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Very good!!

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
RayChez1

Default DP vs Gas Coach

I don't believe that a diesel requires anymore checking of the instruments then a gasoline coach. About the only thing that requires monitoring is the air gauge when you first start the coach. You do have to let it build up air pressure or else your coach is not moving. But it does not take long at all. I will take a diesel pusher over the gas anytime. I have had both.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote