Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
W0JON

Default 50 amp 220 listing at rv site

I was looking at a potential place to head to this week end with our Tour Master. looking at the description of the site interested in, they listed 20 amp, 30 amp, and 50 amp/220 service..... makes me wonder as the 50 amp really just is 110 on each leg, a neutral, and ground.... so it is 220 combined, but not like a stove, dryer, etc.... correct....
W0JON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
Chuck v

Correct...the typical RV does not have appliances/individual loads that use both legs simultaneously (although some luxury coaches do have such appliances...)

The 50 amp RV hookup is 50 amps on EACH leg of the circuit -- so it is more than double the power of a 30 amp 110 volt hookup. On my 2007 Tour Master diesel pusher coach, the 50 amp service was the right way to be able to run both air conditioners at the same time with no worry about insufficient supply from the park connection. The two air conditioners are on different legs of the supply

Your coach has a 7.5 KVA diesel generator if it is like mine and that will run both air conditioners -- this amounts to a source of over 62 amps at 120 volts (31+ amps on each leg...)

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
UAHaerospace

INCORRECT: 50amp 240v RV OUTLET service at a campground is EXACTLY Like 240v service to any other home, with a dryer, oven, and anything else that uses 240v service.

It is not correct to say that somehow 50amp RV service is 'different' than any other 240v service. It is exactly the same. The 240v service run thru your shore power cord, into your RV, and is connected EXACTLY THE SAME to your Main Breaker panel as it is to ANY other home's breaker panel.

So, then, is there any difference? Yes and No. It depends on your RV's Main Breaker panel design. Some will separate each 50amp 'side' of the main double-pole breaker to certain breakers that only work from that side of 120v power. Some larger RVs and motorhomes WILL use the 240v combined service to power a residential clothes dryer just like in your home, or even the newer INDUCtiON cooktop stoves, or other needs. It's just like at your home. My Palazzo motorhome has a special Main Panel, built specifically for coaches with a 'whole house' inverter: it separates the 50amp 'sides' to a separate set of breakers, with the two roof air conditioners on opposites 'sides', as you would imagine, but also has a 'third' leg of power coming back from the INVERTER, which then provides power to only 4 15amp circuits, which consists of three separate outlet circuits, one mainly for outlets in the front, the other for those in the back, and a third for the microwave - and another for a GFCI outlet circuit, mainly for the kitchen, bath, and outside. Since the INVERTER has a 'pass-thru' of 120v power from when you are on shore power, or generator power, there really is THREE different sides of power.

Those new to motorhomes, or those who've never used 50amp RV power sometimes have issues tying to 'figure out' this 50amp situation, but why it's a mystery to some many is interesting. When you look at the breakers within the 50amp Campground panel, you will clearly see that it is a DOUBLE POLE 50amp Breaker set, NOT a simple single pole 120v breaker - hence the difference between it and the typical 30amp RV power, which is only 120v. A 50amp RV outlet, with two sides of power, provides 100amps of total power - more than 3 times that of the typical 30amp power outlet.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Chuck v

UAH,

I realize this topic is one that can have some confusion. The original poster's question was about park hookup facilities, and we each tried to answer it in the most unambiguous way we could. The concept of "correctness" certainly gets in the way here...

Here is the section of your Palazzo manual that speaks to park hookup and the appliances in the coach, While this passage does not mention the induction cooktop, the manual elsewhere does show it and even there it did not say it needed anything other than 120 VAC:

The electrical power supply provided for the motorhome is a dual system, operating with 120/240 volt AC and or 12 Volt DC. The 120 Volt power may be provided by either connecting the motorhome to an outside power source when parked, or by use of a motorhome generator. When the 120 Volt system is operational, power also passes through a system converter, allowing the full use of all 12 Volt functions in the motorhome.120 Volt appliances in the motorhome include the refrigerator, ice maker, roof mounted air conditioner(s), TVs, DVD player, microwave oven, converter and the water heater. The refrigerator also has the option of running on propane gas when 120 Volt power is not available. All other electrical functions in the motorhome are supplied with 12 Volt power.When it is not possible to access 120 volt power, the 12 Volt system functions can be supplied by the auxiliary batteries. The chassis battery is protected by a battery isolator controller to prevent discharge from excessive electrical consumption when the motorhome is not running. The auxiliary batteries are recharged by the power converter when the motorhome is attached to an outside 120 volt power source, or by the generator when it is running, and by the chassis alternator when the chassis engine is running.

I attempted to include the RV park outlet illustrations shown in your Thor manual, but am having some difficulty posting a picture to this thread. The manual shows the three outlet types for 50 amp 240, 30 amp 120, and 15-20 amp 120 duplex. I added notations that the 50 amp service is 12,000 watts capable, the 30 amp is 3,600 watt capable and the 20 amp is 2,400 watt capable. The image shows as attached here but not visible in my preview -- maybe it will appear when this get posted.

Chuck

Old 03-24-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Chuck v

Maybe the image will post here ---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV park shore power connections.jpg (34.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Chuck v

UAH,

By the way and a bit off topic...I see that you tow a travel trailer behind your motorhome. Is this your regular configuration for every trip? Seems that you can leave camp set up at any RV park and use the coach to do day trips, etc. I have never asked if parks rent a single space for two self contained units, but imagine some might. If you place both the trailer and the coach in a single space, does the pedestal typically support both the 30 amp connection to the trailer and the 50 amp connection to the coach at the same time?

Chuck

Old 03-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
UAHaerospace

to sum up this conversation, my rig, as all other 50amp 240v rigs, whether RVs like a larger 5th wheel, or even the largest of motorhomes, uses the exact same 240v 50amp double pole electrical service that enters your home. The 50amp outlet at the campground or RV park is EXACTLY the same, and yes, whether your rig ever uses anything other than 120v for any of it's needs, or whether it needs 50amp 240v service for a clothes dryer, etc., they ALL have the exact same 240v supply entering the rig. period. Don't confuse whether one 'needs' to use 240v power, or not, that is not the question. And I was not referring to MY rig as having an induction cooktop, only that 'some' rigs might.

You are muddying the waters when you try to make it look as though only 120v power enters the rig - that is false. It is the exact same 240v wiring configuration as when it leaves the campground outlet. When the rig decides to 'do' with that power, whether to keep and use it as 240v power, or to split it and use it as two separate 'sides' of 120v power, does not change that it is still 240v power.

I can plug into a 240v 50amp power outlet and work everything in my coach. I can also use an adapter, or adapters, to adapt down to 30amp 120v power, and still provide power to everything in the coach. I can adapt down to a regular household outlet, whether 15amp or 20amp, and continue to do the same. I can use my generator to provide up to 55amps of power, with 25-30 amps of power on each 'side' of the Main Panel's 50amp double pole breakers, to provide to everything as well.
Nothing prohibits me of using everything in my coach no matter what 'size' outlet I plug into. The only difference is the amount of AMPERAGE you can use thru that outlet, and ultimately, it's circuit Breaker.

A 30amp RV has the same options, but they just don't have to deal with 240v power, unless they use an adapter to adapt 'up' to use one if that's the only outlet available, which many 30amp RV owners actually CHOOSE to do. They tend to be used less and are more reliable power than the overused 30amp outlets, typically.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
UAHaerospace

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
UAH,

By the way and a bit off topic...I see that you tow a travel trailer behind your motorhome. Is this your regular configuration for every trip? Seems that you can leave camp set up at any RV park and use the coach to do day trips, etc. I have never asked if parks rent a single space for two self contained units, but imagine some might. If you place both the trailer and the coach in a single space, does the pedestal typically support both the 30 amp connection to the trailer and the 50 amp connection to the coach at the same time?

Chuck
No, a travel trailer towed by our coach was simply to allow us to more easily move our son's rv to a different location, even though we know families who do this as their regular 'full time' family configuration - it works just fine.
As for the question of power, since my coach is 50amp and the rv trailer is 30amp, most campgrounds and rv parks have both outlets within the same power pedestal - so, as long as you can reach it, it works just fine.

Some will say that you 'cannot' use both at the same time because they both somehow pull off the same breaker, but that, again, is not true. 240v power for the 50amp outlet is not going to have anything to do with the 30amp outlet, nor neither with the 20amp household outlets typically also found there. While any campground or rv park can have an exception to the general 'rules' of rv park power, you'll find that the typical wiring for 30amp and 50amp are different and not relational to each other. Each has it's own breaker, and therefore, it's own power.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
UAHaerospace

anyone who travels a lot, and even is parked on private property frequently, will find their needs for 'power' can vary greatly. You may find the typical RV Pedestal that you might imagine, with all three sizes of outlets, or you may find nothing. You might find one with only a 30amp outlet, with not even a breaker at the outlet, nothing but the outlet. etc.
You might find several 30amp outlets and can use more than one, at the same time, with an adapter, if you need to. You might nothing but a 120v household outlet, on a nearby building. Sometimes you might even only find a 30amp and 15amp outlet, but can use a 'Y' adapter to access power from both, giving you up to 45 amps of 120v power... there are a LOT of examples where power is needed, power is given, and you just have to make it happen, if you need to. That's what RV electrical adapters are for. : )

Ask me. I know.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
william gatto

I purchased a 2009 Gulf Stream Prairie Schooner 36 FTE. I am looking for the location of the water pump. Can anybody help? Thank you. Bill Gatto
william gatto is offline   Reply With Quote