Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-19-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Larrygmoody

Default 2004 SC Water pump keeps running

On our last trip, a week ago, we were hooked up to RV park water so I did not notice any water pressure issues. Now, back home, the water pump keeps running and there's no water coming out of the faucet. It's like the fresh water tank is empty but, the tank is 2/3 full.

I added water and now it's pumping water to the faucets. The pump should slow down and then stop when the pressure is right, and it does slow down, but it keeps running... slowly.

So I think there's a hole in the water pick-up tube inside the tank, which causes the first (no water) issue, but that does not explain the slow-running issue.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot the slow-running issue?

Thanks in advance!
Larrygmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

First check for leaks, open drain valves?
Old 12-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
Dennis4809

Have you looked at your water pump? Doubt that you have a tube in the tank, most tanks have a connection at the bottom that connects to the pump. When you say slows down, does that mean the sound changes but that the pump continues to run or does it run intermittently? First thing I’d check for is an air leak between the tank and the pump. Remove the strainer at the pump as they can develope hairline cracks that won’t leak but will draw air. Or, may need to order a pump or at least a rebuild kit for the pump.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
Larrygmoody

Thank you. There's no outside leaks that I can see, but I haven't climbed into the "basement" yet to check there. I was waiting for it to warm up
Old 12-25-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
Larrygmoody

Thank you. Normally, the pump runs fast until it builds up pressure and then briefly runs slower and slower until it stops completely. I assumed that this is because the pressure has reached the designed limit.

Now, the pump runs slower and slower, as if it's reaching the pressure limit, but it never stops completely... just keeps running slowly. It's not intermittent. It runs constant, but at the slower pace.

I'll planning on testing it with some hose scraps and a bucket to get a better handle on what is happening with the water flow.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #6
Texas Shriner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrygmoody View Post
Thank you. Normally, the pump runs fast until it builds up pressure and then briefly runs slower and slower until it stops completely. I assumed that this is because the pressure has reached the designed limit.

Now, the pump runs slower and slower, as if it's reaching the pressure limit, but it never stops completely... just keeps running slowly. It's not intermittent. It runs constant, but at the slower pace.

I'll planning on testing it with some hose scraps and a bucket to get a better handle on what is happening with the water flow.
More than likely have a check valve not completely closing. There is one in the pump and typically somewhere near the common connection point.
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
NavyLCDR

When the pump is running, do you have air "spitting" out of the faucets. A leak on the inlet side of the pump will draw air into the system. If you do not have air coming out with the water, and the pump will not shut off, then the leak is on the outlet side of the pump, not the inlet.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote