Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
CAP

Default What's the Trick getting through to Gulf Stream???

I purchased my BTCruiser the end of Sept.

I the only dealer in my area has an attitude. "I didn't buy from them" mean while they couldn't deliver the same unit at the same price.

I have a few items that need to be fixed under the warranty.(nothing major)

I have emailed Customer Service with the list - no reply

I have left messages with Customer Service - no return call

Does "Customer Service" really exist? Or is it a dead end phone number?

AND I have to agree with C Reilly, when I bought my 5th Wheel from Nu-Wa they not only greeted me, inquired if I needed anything, answered all my questions, gave me phone numbers of all departments that I needed, where absolutly incredible in the "SERVICE" area. They are a true customer oriented company !! (Yes I got spoiled rotten with the level of "Service")

And I sold my 5ver for THIS ??

Any suggestions, other than selling this new rig?

This whole situation just blows my mind. I'm not a happy camper.
CAP
Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
coolchas11

I have been through similar no returned calls with GS. Other times it works very well. I hate to admit that it does seem to be hit or miss. GS told me the other day that they have instituted service reps per region (all apparently out of hdqts). Unfortunately, I don't know who the CT, NY person is. We have just purchased our 3rd GS from Long View in Windsor Locks, CT (800)516-9058. Not too close to Long Island, but they are good. Hope it works out for you. Charlie
Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

CAP,

Did you call 1-800-213-5530 ext. 3288 ?
That was the number that was listed in the ad in motorhome magazine.
I guess what you are trying to find out is if there is another dealer in your area that can do your warranty repairs, am I correct?

Try 1-800-482-6451 ext 3745 Lorie Taylor

Try 1-800-289-8787 ext 3657 Lori Kaler Warranty Dept.

My advice is to keep calling until you get a "live" person or leave a voice mail and if they don't return your call within a reasonable time keep calling until they do answer their phone.

The above numbers I have used in the past and had no problem with responses from them. Usual response time has been within one business day.

I guess the one thing I am wondering about is " Why don't you take back to the dealer you purchased it from for repairs?"

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
CAP

Ron,
You have asked a very valid question....
Why don't I take it to the dealer I bought it from?

They are 1200 miles South.

I bought it because of the upholstery fabric/color. There are many same/similar models on the market with other manf's. So I flew to buy.

AND the dealer near me could never have brought in this unit for the price I paid.
CAP
Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

CAP,

I see why now, 1200 miles would be a nice trip though.

I looked in the Main Stream magazine and see that there are 3 GS dealers that sell and service the BT Cruiser line in New York.

Alpin Haus
1863 State Hwy 5S
Amsterdam, NY
Ph. 518-843-4400

Ballantine RV & Marine
7447 Route 96
Victor, NY 14564
Ph. 866-924-9161

Colton RV
3122 Niagara Falls Blvd.
N. Tonawanda, NY 14120
Ph. 716-694-0188

In Connecticut:

Long View RV Superstores
27 Lawnacre Road
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Ph. 800-623-3326

I would think that one of them would/could handle your warranty needs. Of course you will not be put on the top of their list since their customers that purchased from them will be first priority, but I believe that is the way it is handled at any dealership of any brand.

Ron
Old 11-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
CAP

Ron,
Thanks for the addys on the dealerships. I think what I'm going to do is call a coupla phone numbers OTHER than Customer "Service" and see what they have to say.
CAP
Old 02-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
movinsue

Default Customer Service?

I own a 40+ foot diesel pusher quad slide which I purchased "used" with less than 5K miles on it. I attempted to reach GS's Customer Service in Oct 2006 with an "out of warranty" concern. Of course, I left a message with home and cell phone numbers.

When I received no return call, I sent emails via Gulf Stream's own website to both "Service" and "Sales".

I subsequently received a phone reply from Customer Service which, after informing me that I had no warranty privileges as a "second owner", nonetheless promised to followup with answers to my several concerns.

I heard nothing further and phoned again. No return phone call or email. I emailed a second time. No response.

Following that, I researched for a "Name" of someone with presumed accountability within management. That person was [email protected]. Mr Donati had been quoted in a recently-published article that it was Gulf Stream's intention to try to retain existing owners of their products for future business. I found that to be ironic and included Mr Donati's quote in my email to him, along with copies of previous unanswered correspondence.

One month later, I received a belated reply from Mr Donati which was essentially "canned" and dismissive.

I followed up his reply with a final attempt to get a focused reply to my concerns. Another month has gone by without a peep from Mr Donati.

This narrative of my experience speaks for itself. It is not necessary to interpret for the reader whether Gulf Stream is committed to post-sale Customer Service. I will not deal with Gulf Stream in the future and, when asked, will relate my negative experience.
movinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
coolchas11

Frank, I'm nerved up just reading your post. I have to say there is no excuse for not returning calls or e-mails. Just a thought, try calling Mona at Gulf Stream. (800-289-8787 ext.3499). I don't know if she is your region or product rep, but she has been very responsive to me. If I don't get her when I call she always calls me back. Charlie
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
movinsue

Default GS Customer Service

Thanks, Charlie for your comments.

I might normally pursue GS in my matter and appreciate your support, but GS has "told" me--at a management level--that I am not important. Mr Donati, I believe, is in Sales & Marketing and his remarks, along with Lori's in Customer Service, made it very clear that I, as a Second Owner, am also a Second Class Customer.

During our brief contacts, both Lori and Mr Donati were reminded that my unit was purchased with less than 5K miles on it. Both were reminded that the factory delivery from Indiana to Florida would account for a significant part of that mileage. Both were told that their dealer assured me that this was a "demo" unit and that appliances had never been used. There is apparently a Zero Tolerance Policy (AKA Zero Thinking) for customer support of Second Owners.

I will never be a First Owner of a GS product. Though I enjoy my RV tremendously and have found it to be well-constructed, GS has demonstrated a shockingly cavalier attitude toward continuing customer support. I choose to take my chances on another manufacturer for a future purchase.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
mfa

Default Re: GS Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinsue
Thanks, Charlie for your comments.

I might normally pursue GS in my matter and appreciate your support, but GS has "told" me--at a management level--that I am not important...

I will never be a First Owner of a GS product. Though I enjoy my RV tremendously and have found it to be well-constructed, GS has demonstrated a shockingly cavalier attitude toward continuing customer support. I choose to take my chances on another manufacturer for a future purchase.
What was your "out of warranty concern" about? I think I count 2 phone calls & 3 e-mails on your part and you're ready to dismiss a company that built the well-constructed RV you have enjoyed tremendously. Seems like it would be worth phoning someone else to me.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Here is a link to register you as the second owner of your motorhome:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/servi...cOwnerForm.htm
Old 02-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
movinsue

Default Gulf Stream Coach Customer Service

mfa-you have a point. Others might have a great deal more tolerance for bad corporate behavior than I do. "How much effort is enough" to get attention and service resolution from a company you have spent thousands of dollars on their product? That's a pretty individual matter.

In my opinion, the nature and content of my multiple contacts to 3 different departments and a member of management was enough to make a negative evaluation of corporate attitude/intent despite my satisfaction with the basic motorhome.

The nature of my concern is beside the point of the subject of quality /integrity of GS Customer Service. I believe that effective Customer Service must begin with timely, focused two-way communication and dialog not be abandoned or ignored regardless of the issue at hand. To do so erodes the trust which is the foundation of a satisfactory business relationship.

gulfstream40-I appreciate the link and and hope all Second Owners will register. As it happens, I registered as a "Second Owner" after purchasing my motorhome back in '04.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

Sue,
You never mentioned what your "out-of-warranty" concern was.

I have found that if one sents an email to anyone at Gulf Stream with their coach model and serial number with a specific question that usually I get a reply or it is forwarded to some one that can give an answer.

I know several that have purchased used GS products and have contacted Gulf Stream with questions but it is best to call on the phone, don't leave messages, just keep calling until you get thru to "live" person in the dept. you want.

Ron
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
movinsue

Since you asked....my warranty concern has to do with a design problem which has allowed water intrusion into my coach in the galley slide area. This has resulted in water damage.

My dealer, who initially assessed the problem, strongly suggested that I contact GS directly. Additionally, a Senior Technician at Camping World evaluated the problem, could identify no "material or use" defects and suggested that, due to the coach design, the "fix" would be quite expensive. I did not want to bore the forum with the particulars of my issue, but rather to stick to the subject of the forum thread.

I have spoken with the GS Customer Service manager, (Lori) who promised to followup my questions and get back to me. She did not.

I subsequently emailed a member of GS management (C Donati) who replied to my email, but had apparently not read it well as the reply was "canned". His reply included an invitation to get back if I needed additional information, which I did immediately. This was over one month ago and I have not received a reply.

I believe that my written communications have been clear and specific; at least GS has not requested clarification during my brief encounters.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
GStream40
Site Team

Sue.
I would call Lori again and again if needed to get the info you want.
We also had a leak on our kitchen slide and since we have a 2004 Yellowstone Quattro, it might also be what you are talking about.
Here is the copy of the post I left on another thread talking about how I had it repaired to stop the leak:

" When we purchased our coach, the kitchen slide would leak when out.

Tried putting one of those rain gutters above it that stick on, that helped some, but didn't stop it completely.

Ours has the slide that has the arms that are attached to the coach opening and go to the bottom corners of the slide. After several tries by the dealer to find out how the water was running into the coach from the rear bottom inside corner, I finally found out myself.

The pin that the arm attaches to on the bottom of the slide goes into the bottom main frame of the slide. The water was running down the outside of the slide to that pin and followed it into the main bottom frame, which is hollow, then the water was running in the frame to the inside corner and out onto the hardwood floor.

I had the dealer remove the arms and seal the pin in the slide and frame. NO more leaks since.

Since the passenger side bedroom slide has the same arm assembly, I had the dealer do it also as a precaution against future problems.

That was the only leak we had, except the one that I caused when I didn't tighten the ice maker fitting and water leaked under the refrigerator and into the cabinet below the frig.

But that won't happen again either since I sealed the outside frame on the frig so that water can't get under it and must run out the access door, just in case some dummy forgets to tighten the icemaker supply line after dewinterizing AGAIN! "

Ron
Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #16
gsadmin

First, IMO, Sue you have gone above and beyond the call of duty as a customer in terms of raising your hand with a concern. Given the cost of the item in question, the stated intent of GS to improve CS, and with the number of contacts you have attempted to make, I would agree with you that GS has blown you off and that is unacceptable.

Furthermore, it also means to me that GS does not, as some have suggested, monitor this forum regularly else they would have already responded to Sue in some fashion. (if it were my CS dept. I would have someone look at the few posts that come in every day or at least every other day so that I could spot potential CS cancers early as well as spot other potential endemic issues.)

Sue, if I were in your shoes I would feel the same exact way. Even if I had a great coach, it is only as good as the support I can get when all is not peachy.

I hope GS wakes up and at least gets back to you. They may not resolve your issue, but at least they can call you back or start an personal email thread.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #17
movinsue

Default Customer Service

gstream40-your experience is quite interesting. The leaking in your MH was in the same place as ours-the inside corner of the kitchen slide. As soon as the leak was discovered, we kept the slide retracted during rain and referred to our new coach as the "Trio" (versus "Quattro--get it? haha).

The slow and steady leaking has resulted in visible damage over time which only became visible on an extended trip last year. I, along with a dealer and repair facility, have been investigating a number of possibilities. So far, all proposed problem areas have been eliminated as responsible for the leaking The "fixes" are expensive and not guaranteed to solve the problem.

I shall reread your post and look to this is a possibility as soon as I pull the coach out of storage in a few weeks. Thank you for your input.

Does anyone else out there with a Quattro have the same problem ie leak of uncertain origin at the kitchen slide inside corner?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinsue
gstream40-your experience is quite interesting. The leaking in your MH was in the same place as ours-the inside corner of the kitchen slide. As soon as the leak was discovered, we kept the slide retracted during rain and referred to our new coach as the "Trio" (versus "Quattro--get it? haha).

The slow and steady leaking has resulted in visible damage over time which only became visible on an extended trip last year. I, along with a dealer and repair facility, have been investigating a number of possibilities. So far, all proposed problem areas have been eliminated as responsible for the leaking The "fixes" are expensive and not guaranteed to solve the problem.

I shall reread your post and look to this is a possibility as soon as I pull the coach out of storage in a few weeks. Thank you for your input.

Does anyone else out there with a Quattro have the same problem ie leak of uncertain origin at the kitchen slide inside corner?
I will try and take some pictures and post them to help explain were the leak was and pin location is.

We like you were keeping the kitchen slide in during any rain until we found out what the problem was and had it sealed. Now we can leave it out during any weather and don't have a leak problem. Gulf Stream factory serviced documented in the records about the water getting on our floor for any possible problems in 2005 at the Back Home Rally. Nearly two years later now and no problems with the floor or recurring leaks.

Ron
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
...The pin that the arm attaches to on the bottom of the slide goes into the bottom main frame of the slide. The water was running down the outside of the slide to that pin and followed it into the main bottom frame, which is hollow, then the water was running in the frame to the inside corner and out onto the hardwood floor.

I had the dealer remove the arms and seal the pin in the slide and frame. NO more leaks since. ...
Ron
Is there any way to post a picture of the area you are talking about?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #20
movinsue

GStream40-I suspect that you may have hit on our problem. This would explain the slow, intermittent nature of the leaking defying the usual diagnoses.

I look forward to your photos and appreciate your effort.

Was it difficult to remove the arms and seal the pins? Was it something that a strong, courageous manly-man (My husband!) and an able helper (me!) could do without the assistance of repair shop equipment?

It appears that this Forum has demonstrated another level of information to those seeking Customer Service support from Gulf Stream Coach; ie your best--or ONLY- resource might be other GS owners!