Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
rundlc

Default Are you a 97-01 tourmaster owners? Do you have a tag?

Hello all streamers!

New here but not to the rv world, looking for some of you folks that own a tourmaster, looking for info on the 8430 floor plan.

If you own a 43 ft tag I would appreciate it greatly if I could pick your brain before I move on one of these units. I have heard the the 97-01 models were probably the best that GS made.

If you own one please contact me asap Thanks all

Rundlc
rundlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Are you a 97-01 tourmaster owners? Do you have a tag?

I really like my 2007 Tour Master 40c -- not a tag axle unit in my case.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
rundlc

Thanks Chuck V for the reply. I'm trying to figure where are all the owners of the 8424 and 8430 owners can't seem to find any. I know they made thousands of these 43 foot units
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
Chuck v

If you search this site for "constellation" or "tag axle" you will get a few threads discussing similar coaches. Maybe one of those owners can be contacted or will chime in here...

As I understand it, coaches like my Tour Master 40 series were built in moderately small quantities each year (dozens, not hundreds...) so it is pretty hard to believe that thousands of tag coaches were made by GS over the years...but maybe they did.

On paper these look like very well featured coaches -- here is a representative 2000 model year brochure:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...r%20Master.pdf

Chuck

Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
rundlc

Chuck V

Thanks I stand corrected, hundreds. I guess I was going by the last 8 of the vin and assumed thousands. Perhaps that's why it is so difficult to find.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Chuck v

It is hard to get any 'official' totals of just the diesel pushers, but below in bold is an overview that was written in 1999 about the whole lineup from Gulf Stream. We know that the large majority of total units of all types would be the towables, and of the motorized units the large diesel pushers are again a small fraction, so perhaps 2,500 to 5,000 of the 80,000 units mentioned over the 16 years in the stats below would be all the DP coaches...and I would expect that a very small percentage of those would be the largest tag axle units. The article appeared in Industry Today and the full text is here:
http://industrytoday.com/article/winning-coaches/

Additionally, the very early 2000's may have enjoyed a similar yearly rate, but by 2007 (my own tour Master's year of origin) production was substantially reduced due to the overall economic downturn and of course production of all coaches of this class ceased shortly thereafter.

In just 16 years, Gulf Stream Coach has developed into a Top Five, full-line RV manufacturer, producing Class A and C motor homes, conventional trailers and fifth-wheel trailers, which hitch into the beds of pickup trucks. Luxury van conversions and RV rentals round off the line.
Brand names of the 80,000 Gulf Stream RVs now on the road include Conquest, Innsbruck, Sea Hawk, Tour Master, Friend- ship, Scenic Cruiser, Sun Voyager, Sun Sport and Ultra. Conventional Gulf Stream travel trailers range in length from 18 to 35 feet with numerous slide-out models. Fifth-wheelers run from 23 to 40 feet and have mostly slide-out models. The firm’s Class C mini-motor homes are 20 to 31 feet in length with multiple slide-out models. Class A motor homes come in a wide variety of models on Ford, Workhouse and Spartan chassis and range from 25 to 44 feet with many slide-out models.

Chuck

Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
rundlc

Thanks for the education, I have literally searched craigslist from coast to coast and have found 2 units. I have my work cut out for me that's for sure.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundlc
Thanks for the education, I have literally searched craigslist from coast to coast and have found 2 units. I have my work cut out for me that's for sure.

The only TourMaster that I have seen with a tag was the Constellation on a 45' Freightliner chassis. But that was around 2008. Before that the other Gulf Stream coach that had a tag was the 2002 Scenic Cruiser model 8406 and if you are interested on seeing a picture, there is one on page 8. I believe that was also around 45' long.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
rundlc

@Raychez1,

I'll take a look, I didn't know the scenic had a tag. I've been searching the tourmaster from 99-01 only. The constellation of that Era had the walk in closet at the rear with out a step up platform which my dw and I love.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
Chuck v

Yes, there is a slight step up to the walk-in closet on my 2007 Tour Master (but the entire bedroom floor is flat...) The pictures of the layout in the constellations show a washer/dryer combo whereas my 2007 TM has a stack of separate appliances. Not only is the machine capacity a bit more on each, but laundry goes much faster if you can wash AND dry sequential loads at the same time. Since I live aboard months at a time for work, this is an advantage for me. Another plus for my current floor-plan for my intended use is the front desk area separate from the dining table.

All motor coach layouts are a trade-off, so you have to set priorities and go for the best coverage of your needs. Like you intend to do, we bought this unit as a secondary sale...it only had 9,500 miles and suited our needs (and we saved a lot for it only being two years old at the time...)

Good luck on your search. Might I ask what makes the tag axle so important to you? My only familiarity with a tag was on a Prevost that my company at the time had built as a rolling demonstration suite -- it was a sweet rig but expensive. Glad I was not paying for it directly...it was quite a sight with its full wrap billboard graphics though:

Chuck

Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
rundlc

@ChuckV
It isn't the tag that I am so in love with but the floor plan layout of the constellation itself. My dw loves the European style white cabinets, French doors, dual couches, walk in closet, clothing carousel and the fact that the bedroom floor is at one level.

It just happens to have a tag, it's 43' so it would need a tag.

I wanted to post up the actual floor plan in pdf but can't seem to get it loaded.

I must say that the 07 you own is on our radar, if it comes down to me not being able to find the 2000 model I'll opt for the 07.

Does your bedroom Slide use the cables? I am not fond of those, we are planning on full timing in the near future so having someone that knows the unit will be helpful. I would choose the one with the separate desk.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 AM   #12
Chuck v

These floor plans?

The 8430 has the clothing carousel -- does not seem very space efficient to me but I suppose it is rather convenient.

My main slide is hydraulic with double cylinders but it does use cables to synchronize the two sides. It is bigger than the living slide on the 8430 and is a full 42 inches deep. The bedroom slide is gear driven, but the third (vanity) slide is a cable system. I have never had any issues with the mechanisms, but the front slide has had its UHMW slip plate replaced and additional runners put on the slide outer floor to keep the fabric there from being damaged. Similarly, the vanity slide has had stainless runners placed on its outer fabric floor covering.

My coach is over 42 feet long in reality -- 42 feet and 8 inches. It is a long wheel base at 288 inches so you do have to be concerned with high centering on driveways and some overly tall speed bumps. I guess the tag would help there. For tight turning you would always lift the tag anyway to avoid scuffing the tires...the 45 foot H3 Prevost above was like that. We had that commercial coach built to our specifications by Vantare' in Florida which became a Featherlite company -- I had great fun being so intimately involved in defining its capabilities and features.

Chuck

Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
rundlc

Yes Chuck V, that is the plan.
I am loving that plan but I'm starting to feel that we may have to step up to the later model tourmaster.

Number one, we won't be able to be able to get financing for an older model. We now have an 01 National Islander, also an orphan. Whatever we find it'll be used of course so well need to remodel it to suite our needs.

We are planning to full time in the near future hopefully it'll get settled soon.

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
rundlc

BTW has anyone ever seen a 2010 TM T40U
Model? It has the bunks option. This would work very nice for me as well. I would pull the bunks and create a small dedicated office area. I'll be full timing but not retired. That area would be nice.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
RayChez1

rundlc: I belong to a Gulf Stream club and there are some Tour Masters in the club. One thing that I will mention as to what kind of problems some of our members have had. Two Tour Master coaches that I will mention, one has four slides and the other has I believe two slides, but that one with the two slides I believe has a slide that is full length of the coach. My point is to mention that he has had problems with that real big slide. Last time we were in a caravan I was following him and I noticed that his big slide was out in the bottom about four inches and flush on the top. I mentioned it to him and he said he had lots of problems with the big slide. While the other member with the four smaller slides had not had any problems what so ever. I believe these coaches were around 43' long with Mercedes engines on them.

By the way those Mercedes engines are very powerful and very good. I believe those coaches that I mentioned were 2007, but not sure.

You mention tag axle. My next coach IF we decide to go full time will have a tag axle and will be 45'. Space and carry capacity is very important for me when you go full time, because you carry a lot more stuff on the coach and the tag axle will give you that extra carry capacity.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Chuck v

Ray and rundlc,

The Tour Master models with the really long driver side slide are the T-40F and T-40U and I believe this long slide was first offered in 2008. I have always had concerns about a slide that long -- essentially the whole distance between the front and rear axles...

My Tour Master has three slides as do all the others in that series for 2008, the T-40A, T-40B and the T-40C that I have (except that my own T-40C is a 2007 year model.) Speaking of 2007 versions, that year also had a T-40D that did have just two slides -- as well as a shorter T-36 that also had just two slides.

The T-40B, T40C and T-40D all have the front desk that is separate from the dining table, whereas the T-36, T-40A and T-40F do not.

I have the Mercedes engine in my rig and like it a lot. It is not rated at many HP -- just 330, but it has 1000 lbs-ft of torque so I find it a very good balance between power and economy. It tows the 5000 lb Acura MDX like it is not even there. I have the air brakes for the toad so they are fully proportional.

As far as layout and furnishings go, the 23 cu ft residential refrigerator and 35 x 48 inch shower are real benefits for living aboard, as are the generous overhead cabinets above the normal ones that Gulf Steam calls the 'attic' storage -- and the deep kitchen counters are very welcome for meal preparation. We already posted about the stacked washer and dryer and how handy they are.

I have several threads on this site detailing what modifications I have made to increase storage space and organization even further, as well as updating the televisions to full HD, adding dimming to some of the lighting fixtures, etc. I even added a mod to the small storage bin under the desk to accept hanging file folders...

Since I have owned this coach I have also upgraded the inverter to a real sine wave unit to work better with my electronics aboard, and I have replaced the main transfer switch with one that has its own surge protection so I don't have to mess with an external one.

Chuck

Old 01-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
rundlc

Ray and Chuck, thanks for all the info. The early tm constellation models were very nice, and as much as I love them I am starting to think I can get more technology with this later model t40c, finding a t40 u is gonna be like funding a needle in a haystack!

That being said the t40c platform is growing on me, I love the walk in closet, taller ceilings, full size w d etc.
I'm very concerned about that Benz motor, I know nothing about them other than it sounds very expensive when repairs are needed. The other issue is the lack of a hydronic water heating system. I'm sure gs yanked these units because of cost, the early ones this was standard, which is another reason I like the 99 2000 model.

I can live with the small repair type items that I'm sure will need to be fixed, I have seen one unit thus far and it appears to me that the materials used in the later models was not as high end as the early units. Our main concern is space since we do plan on some full timing. I have to make a 6 hour drive to Los Angeles to see the t40c unit. I am sure my dw will like it as it checks most of our boxes.

I wished there was space for a dish drawer but the kitchen cabinets do not look like it will support one.

Many thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

To go old or to go new.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Chuck v

The T-40C had a choice of engines -- either the 330 HP MB or the 400 HP Cummins. The Mercedes is a commercial engine used in many Freightliner medium trucks and is serviced by my local Freightliner/Detroit engine shops. This driveline was also used in quite a few school buses as I understand it.

The dual propane furnaces on my coach seem to do the job just fine but their fans are a bit loud. The same can be said for the air conditioners. Since the air conditioners are ducted in a common set of ceiling outlets, I run the rear unit only when in the front of the coach watching TV or working at the desk, and just run the front unit when in the bedroom sleeping. Only rarely do I need to run both -- but I am in the Pacific Northwest, not the desert... A similar approach with the heaters (augmented with electric when in a park) solves the fan noise for the furnaces.

I have never missed a dishwasher in this coach so never have thought about that...

Chuck

Old 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #19
sunshine

We bought a 1997 TourMaster late August of 2016. We have been living in it while trying to sell our lakeside home in MS. Although it has no slides, we still love it. It is great for 2 people. As soon as our house sells, we plan on hitting the road; as my husband just retired. We are so excited. We, also, own a boat that we plan on living aboard it part-time as well. Complete nomads!!!
Wanted to add that we toured several new coaches yesterday in Louisiana. Still like ours the best.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #20
Kate P

We have a 2009 Tourmaster T40F. I think it was one of the last Tourmasters made. This coach has the two slides with one being a full side slide. The full side slide is a bit of a pain because when it is out it is at an angle that allows water to pool. We have not found a solution for this. So, we just pull the slide in a little whenever it rains. We chose this coach because it has two full bathrooms. It has a stacked Whirlpool washer and dryer. Full capacity and not the RV type. We love the taller ceilings they put into the Tourmaster. In the main cabin there is a sofa on one side and the passenger side has a chair and a table that I use as my desk. It works great for me. Our coach has a Cummins engine and it is built on a Freightliner Chassis. It is 42 feet 10 inches long so it is not a tag. If you need any further info, please let me know,

Also mentioned in the previous postings was a Gulf Stream Club, Could someone let me know about this group as I would be interested.