Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
PinPilot

Default 1991 Friendship - Looking for prebuy info

Howdy to all!

I've got my sights set on a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship with the 8.3 Cummings and Allison automatic. To set the stage here, seller is asking $6500, and it has 101k miles. Cosmetically its pretty clean inside and out, but the paint is fading.

I have a few questions:

1. 4 or 5 speed? The owner says its a five speed, but all I can find reference to being available in 1991 is a four speed transmission. Does anyone know for sure which it should have?

2. The 8.3 C Cummins is only 240hp. Would I be able to add an injector plate to increase the HP, or turn up the turbo a few pounds? (If I do this, I know I need to monitor exhaust temps.) Seems I read in '91 they didn't come with the Bosch fuel pump, which is required to do the injector plate upgrade?

3. This floorplan has the wetbar in the kitchen area. (At first I thought the kitchen had two sinks - LOL). It has an icemaker below. Any thoughts on this setup vs. just having cabinets in that location, as most seem to?

4. The front window is cracked. It appears the front window is in two sections? What should I budget to replace this? I would accept a used window if available.

5. The diesel genset has 7000 hours on it, which seems like A LOT to me. It cranks and trys to start but never does. Owner said it worked last year. He thinks it just needs a fuel filter, but I have my doubts. Comments? Suggestions?

6. Dash air not working - seems like it never does on these older coaches.

7. Has new tires with less than 60 miles ($2200 he claims).

I'm free to test drive it over to a nearby RV park so we can hook up shore power and test some systems. He doesn't have the right connection at his home.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thank you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1991 Friendship gulfstream.jpg (123.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1991 Friendship gulfstream kitchen.jpg (71.5 KB, 12 views)
PinPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
PinPilot

Hello!?! Anyone home?
PinPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
SGTJAC

Default Not again...

It's just my opinion, but I would walk away. In the long run, save some more money and look around "A LOT" before you decide. I looked at over 55 plus and still picked the wrong one in GS. (I Liked the big space) Most MH's owners can find parts that fit on many brands and also the GS. However unless your a DIY and fix things, windshields, gens, etc. run into some $ and that's not even getting to the engine etc. I'm a newbie on here, but in the short time I've had mine MH, I have learned so much on forums such as this by reading old threads. RVing is a great life but make sure you want everything that goes with buying a used or even NEW MH. Good luck and all the best!
SGTJAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Frnzkchar

Send a message via AIM to Frnzkchar Send a message via Skype™ to Frnzkchar
Default DYI

I ended up purchasing a 2001 GS ultimate LOL accidentally. We were looking to rent 1 to drive to the UP of MI. The long n short a steal fell on us, for 2 g more than rental a 1 owner low miles gem.
Totally worth it.... Here's the BUT......
HANDY FAMILY THAT DIY'S.
1 son does heavy equipment repairs, another autobody. Hubby built house.... This spring pulling up floor tiles floor, installing a brown bag floor w compass stained into it. Why.... Because it'll lighten the load by more than 200lbs. We are also converting from a hot water tank to tankless hot water propane....
So if you r handy, and love to SIT n camp, I say go 4 it...
Frnzkchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Rob Maiers

It sounds like quite a project. Do you have those skill sets, and a place to do the work? If you’re going to have someone else do the work then you’re better of spending the money on something newer or at least in better shape. Kind of depends on what you’re going to use it for. It will probably never be a cross country rig again. Some parks won’t let you in. It could be a fine regional rig though.
Rob Maiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Frnzkchar

Send a message via AIM to Frnzkchar Send a message via Skype™ to Frnzkchar
Default DIY

Yes, we have the skill set required.... Sons work for a propane co. They've converted many. It is a gem only had 41,000 miles mint inside n out. All maint. records extremely well taken care of. The wife was dying, they wanted to sell not for the $ but, they liked us..... They actually turned down a couple offering asking.
We rode from Poconos of Pa to the UP of Mi on our maiden voyage, 13 peeps 3 teenagers 1 child all others adults, and a 180lbs great dane... Yes, luggage was light. 4 have cdl n drive for a living.
Frnzkchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
Rob Maiers

Sorry Frnzkchar, I meant to respond to PinPilot and responded to you instead. Sounds like we were both saying the same thing to PinPilot. $6500 for that old of a rig with that many miles seems pretty high. We live in Minnesota, have a 2006 Endura and have travelled the US with it. Now use it mostly in the the upper midwest/great lakes. Fishing, hunting and just goofing around. We were in the UP last summer for a couple of weeks, had a blast. Happy Trails!
Rob Maiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
Viking1911

I purchased a 1991 35 ft. Friendship about 9 Months ago
Overall it is a solid coach
The transmission on my coach is a 4 speed Allison non electronic transmission if it has a shift lever and no park gear it is probably a 4 Speed if it ha s a push button control it may be a 5 Speed

I up graded the turbo and modified the injector pump add EGT and boost gauges

Wind shield glass???

Generator try cleaning the fuel pump hold on solenoid if it is dirty or miss adjusted it will start and shut down ,and check all fluid levels low oil can caus a automatic shutdown
You can expect Maintance issues with a 30 Year coach
Check for rot in the core around the wheel wells
Viking1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPilot View Post
Howdy to all!

I've got my sights set on a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship with the 8.3 Cummings and Allison automatic. To set the stage here, seller is asking $6500, and it has 101k miles. Cosmetically its pretty clean inside and out, but the paint is fading.

I have a few questions:

1. 4 or 5 speed? The owner says its a five speed, but all I can find reference to being available in 1991 is a four speed transmission. Does anyone know for sure which it should have?

2. The 8.3 C Cummins is only 240hp. Would I be able to add an injector plate to increase the HP, or turn up the turbo a few pounds? (If I do this, I know I need to monitor exhaust temps.) Seems I read in '91 they didn't come with the Bosch fuel pump, which is required to do the injector plate upgrade?

3. This floorplan has the wetbar in the kitchen area. (At first I thought the kitchen had two sinks - LOL). It has an icemaker below. Any thoughts on this setup vs. just having cabinets in that location, as most seem to?

4. The front window is cracked. It appears the front window is in two sections? What should I budget to replace this? I would accept a used window if available.

5. The diesel genset has 7000 hours on it, which seems like A LOT to me. It cranks and trys to start but never does. Owner said it worked last year. He thinks it just needs a fuel filter, but I have my doubts. Comments? Suggestions?

6. Dash air not working - seems like it never does on these older coaches.

7. Has new tires with less than 60 miles ($2200 he claims).

I'm free to test drive it over to a nearby RV park so we can hook up shore power and test some systems. He doesn't have the right connection at his home.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thank you!!!
101K miles on a diesel engine is nothing. Those engines are good for 3-4 hundred thousand miles before they need an overhaul. The price is real low, actually you can not even buy a used Cummins engine that size for that price. So if the body is clean and taken care off, I would say it is a great deal. Some people take good care of their coaches. I know because my coach now is seventeen years old and it is still like new.

The generator does sound like a fuel issue, probably filters, but obviously it has been running a lot I guess they used to dry camp a lot. I am assuming again that it is a diesel engine on the generator and those also last a long time with care. Oil changes is where the life of an engine is critical. See if the previous owner had any kind of records showing his up keep. Take it out for a test drive and you can tell if there are any problems.

Gulf Stream Friendship at one time was the flagship of Gulf Stream. They would change every so many years and make either TourMaster or Scenic Cruiser their top of the line. They were coaches that were built better then the other coaches built by Gulf Stream.

Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
Flipman

Are you sure about the year? According to brochure , the first Friendship was 1995! If it is a 1995 Friendship, it would have a 250hp/660 torque 8.3 engine with an Allison 3060 6 speed tranny, or a 300hp/820 torque 8.3 if it is a 38'!
Flipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
Frutza

I just got a half windsheild replaced, $1k, thank goodness for insurance
Old 02-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
I just got a half windsheild replaced, $1k, thank goodness for insurance
Yea! Everything now days costs a lot. I have the one piece and so far I have had good luck not getting hit by a rock hard enough to crack it. Not sure what a one piece windshield would cost for my coach, but I am sure they are costly.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote