Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
TurtleMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: puyallup
Posts: 10
Default brakes not working

I purchased over the winter a 2020 gulfstream vista cruiser 19csk. It was shipped direct from the factory apparently straight off the manufacturing floor. When I went to pick it up we went over everything and we couldnt get the brakes to work on the trailer. I have a prodigy 2 controller. The guy helping me said he tested the brakes and there is electricity going to them but didnt understand why they didnt work. He then told me to just go ahead and take it home I freaked and talked to the manager he put in another brake controller and it still didnt work. He then pulled the break away cable that is supposed to stop the trailer in the event of a catastrophe the brakes didnt engage. He said leave the trailer they would look at. Came back the next day the first guy said he tightened the brakes on trailer and it still didnt work. They determined its because the trailer brakes have some kind of coating on them to prevent rusting while sitting around for longs periods of time. They told me to take it home and drive it around and the stuff would burn off and brakes would eventually start to work. So now I am getting ready for spring camping and I am thinking that isnt safe. Should I take it somewhere and have them take brakes off and clean whatever is on them? Or do I just drive it around? How safe is that?
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Flower
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 32
Default

I don't think the RV dealer is being very responsible first I believe its against the law to tow a trailer as heavy as your trailer is without proper working brakes. If your tow vehicle is not a full size truck or one with a good amount of weight you could have a difficult time stopping quickly towing your camper resulting in a serious accident. I would complain to the dealer or find a different responsible place to repair your brakes but first I would call the manufacturer Gulfstream and explain to them the situation. I would not tow your camper until the brakes are fixed or until Gulfstream tells you what to do.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
atreis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 120
Default

A few different points ....

* What one can legally tow without brakes varies (a lot) by state, with mountain states and highly populous states having much lower unbraked weight limits than flat, unpopulated states, for obvious reasons. What one can tow safely has very little to do with what one can tow legally and depends a lot on experience, speed, etc...

* If the brakes are actually engaging - pads pressed against drums - then the dealer could be right. New brake drums have a coating (a light coat of oil on the drums to keep them from rusting while sitting in storage before being used) that will very quickly burn off when they're first used. A couple hard stops from a moderate speed is usually enough to take care of this and people generally don't notice because of how quickly it gets burned off.

* If the brakes aren't engaging and the dealer told you to go home with it, you seriously need to find a new dealer. As Flower suggested, contact GulfStream and they'll most likely get the dealer to do something. Selling a trailer that is legally required to have working brakes and that has been represented as having working brakes, but which doesn't, and refusing to fix it, is very likely illegal in your state. The dealer or manufacturer would almost certainly be liable if there were an accident. If the dealer still insists you take it home, insist that they give you a signed letter on dealer letterhead stating in writing that the trailer is safe and legal to tow according to tow vehicle and trailer manufacturer towing recommendations with the brakes in their current condition. (They will almost certainly refuse, but it will tell them, whether you actually are or not, that you're considering legal action as such a letter is legally binding. That will likely get the attention of the dealer owner/manager.)

* If all else fails, talk to a lawyer. Generally, just having a lawyer write a letter to the dealer explaining the law in your state and liability is enough. While talking to the lawyer, check into your state's lemon laws, if it has any. If the dealer CAN'T fix the problem, they might apply.
__________________
2014 Innsbruck Lite 198BH
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
Frutza
Senior Member
 
Frutza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 243
Default

Your Prodigy should tell you if you have brakes or not, just like a disconnected trailer, it displays OC, now that won't tell you if you have 1 brake or all 4, just a starting point, the same with pulling the break away switch, if the battery is good. I would contact Gulfstream directly. It's not a complex system, probably a bad connection, if Gulfstream is still using quick connectors on brake wiring, I would change them anyway.
It's a connector that you squeeze with pliers and it pierces the wire !
__________________
Mike & Becky
2005 Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
Colorado350
Member
 
Colorado350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan View Post
I purchased over the winter a 2020 gulfstream vista cruiser 19csk. It was shipped direct from the factory apparently straight off the manufacturing floor. When I went to pick it up we went over everything and we couldnt get the brakes to work on the trailer. I have a prodigy 2 controller. The guy helping me said he tested the brakes and there is electricity going to them but didnt understand why they didnt work. He then told me to just go ahead and take it home I freaked and talked to the manager he put in another brake controller and it still didnt work. He then pulled the break away cable that is supposed to stop the trailer in the event of a catastrophe the brakes didnt engage. He said leave the trailer they would look at. Came back the next day the first guy said he tightened the brakes on trailer and it still didnt work. They determined its because the trailer brakes have some kind of coating on them to prevent rusting while sitting around for longs periods of time. They told me to take it home and drive it around and the stuff would burn off and brakes would eventually start to work. So now I am getting ready for spring camping and I am thinking that isnt safe. Should I take it somewhere and have them take brakes off and clean whatever is on them? Or do I just drive it around? How safe is that?
When you say not working, do you mean the magnet doesn’t move OR the magnet moves but the wheels don’t stop turning? The latter would point to the coating on the brakes. If the magnet doesn’t move it’s either a poor connection at the connector or the brakes themselves. The Dealer should be able to test all of this and make a determination. If they do use quick connections remove them and replace with waterproof connectors on both sides of the the axle.

There’s power to the brakes, do you have power to BOTH SIDES OF THE AXLE ?


These connectors work great for outdoor applications. They simply twist on, the wires pop a pouch of sealant that seals the connections. Do NOT reuse always use a new connector.

King Innovation 62225 DryConn Outdoor Electrical Wire Connector 20/Bag, Aqua/Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BW0YG2..._YJksEb30YBERT
__________________
John
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Colorado350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
RayChez1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,174
Default

I would take the trailer back to the dealer and tell him you need a safe vehicle with brakes that work.
You mentioned on the original post that there was no electrical power to energize the brakes. So how are they going to set if there is no power?
__________________
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
2018 Buick Envision Essence
Neway Freightliner chassis
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
Mike1931
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Default

There is no way I would have ever left the dealership with the trailer! You take it back, give them one more chance to fix it. Tell the dealer that if they ask you to take it again without a fix, you will involve the State Police!
The Dealer can not ask you to take a vehicle without working brakes. If there is an accident! You and only you would be responsible for any and all damages! Just ask your insurance company! Both of those ideas will put a big challenge on to the dealership!
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Colorado350
Member
 
Colorado350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 48
Default

WOW…the way some of y’all deal with problems is astounding, suggesting the OP threaten them with this or that etc. Seriously, is this how your parents brought you up and taught you how to deal with people and problems? I guess we know why young adults act like they’re entitled and the world should revolve around them. It seems like everyone wants to threaten and scream instead of actually figuring out a solution! I was raised that your word and handshake were as binding as any piece of paper a lawyer drew up, that’s not the case anymore! I was also brought up that if you disrespect someone you should expect a punch to the face...people were far more polite growing up too! You couldn’t hide behind a computer…

A RV is a mechanical piece of equipment assembled by humans, things happen, mistakes happen most issues can be resolved by clearly communicating what the problem and determining the correct solution. If you think Yelling and threatening is gonna motivate someone to help you...it’s time to learn the basic principle of dealing with people, treat them like you wanna be treated!!

The OP never once suggested that the Dealership refuses to help or address the issues. They implied that there may be some limited experience and/or lack of knowledge regarding the cause and effects of the underlying problem. Different employees will have different experience levels just like any workplace! If the RV was brought to the dealership on a semi trailer then the coating never got wore off the brakes! This would create the issue the OP is experiencing. If the trailer was towed and the TV had issues with the brake controller not working then the RV’s brakes were never actuated and the coating never got wore off, This would also create the issue the OP is experiencing. The OP hasn’t been back to answer my earlier questions so there’s also the possibility that the trailer was towed and road debris may have damaged the wiring, once again creating the braking problem. These are reasonable explanations for the brake problem AND easily fixed!
__________________
John
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Colorado350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Mike1931
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Colorado350
In reading your lengthy response to a question, that has probably causes for the owner of the trailer to be sued if in an accident while towing his New Trailer Without Brakes and knowing it doesn’t. Reading your response is like saying, path your trailer on these Rail Road Tracks and nothing will happen! Oh! And disregard the arms that comedown, Red Flashing Llghts, and the Ringing Bells, Just believe me the bright light you see won’t hurt your travel trailer. Colorado350 the above is the same as your response. The Dealership has been given more than two chances to get it right! They haven’t! If this were me I wouldn’t tow that trailer across the street with out brakes. Although I would sell my insurance company and ask them what I should do. If I didn’t get a good response from them I would move forward with all the other options I listed in my last post. The way I see it, the least you could do is offer to tow it for them and let your insurance cover an accident if their is one. Some times I wish there was a Dum ___ button on here
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
RayChez1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,174
Default

I agree with Mike. If he takes that trailer on a trip and gets in an accident because the brakes did not work. He is not only endangering his family, but everybody else involved in the accident. It is law suits for everything now days. Thinking that it is no big deal, is not being very cerebral.
__________________
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
2018 Buick Envision Essence
Neway Freightliner chassis
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Colorado350
Member
 
Colorado350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1931 View Post
There is no way I would have ever left the dealership with the trailer! You take it back, give them one more chance to fix it. Tell the dealer that if they ask you to take it again without a fix, you will involve the State Police!
The Dealer can not ask you to take a vehicle without working brakes. If there is an accident! You and only you would be responsible for any and all damages! Just ask your insurance company! Both of those ideas will put a big challenge on to the dealership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1931 View Post
Colorado350
In reading your lengthy response to a question, that has probably causes for the owner of the trailer to be sued if in an accident while towing his New Trailer Without Brakes and knowing it doesn’t. Reading your response is like saying, path your trailer on these Rail Road Tracks and nothing will happen! Oh! And disregard the arms that comedown, Red Flashing Llghts, and the Ringing Bells, Just believe me the bright light you see won’t hurt your travel trailer. Colorado350 the above is the same as your response. The Dealership has been given more than two chances to get it right! They haven’t! If this were me I wouldn’t tow that trailer across the street with out brakes. Although I would sell my insurance company and ask them what I should do. If I didn’t get a good response from them I would move forward with all the other options I listed in my last post. The way I see it, the least you could do is offer to tow it for them and let your insurance cover an accident if their is one. Some times I wish there was a Dum ___ button on here
Mike, nowhere in either of my posts did I mention driving away without the brakes working. I simply communicated that there are reasonable causes for brakes not working and that rather than threatening The dealership to call the State police those reasons should be looked into and They may well be the solution to the problem. Do you see the difference there? I offered potential solutions you on the other hand offered nothing!
It’s not that they have not figured out the brake issue for the OP it’s just they have not figured out the brake issue YET! The OP as an adult is perfectly capable of telling the Dealership he/she he’s not comfortable taking the RV home without the brakes working. I’m also sure that if he clearly communicated to the dealership that I do not feel comfortable burning that coating off the brakes myself, I would prefer you to do it… That they would do it for him.
I’m Sure if the OP called the state police they would ACTUALLY send a Trooper to the Dealership and demand they fix the brakes, because they have nothing better to do then stuff like that. Now, that’s of course after they quit laughing over getting a phone call so ridiculous.

I don’t know where your analogy came from with the whole railroad track thing?Regarding your your last comment...sorry but the Forum wasn’t aware you don’t know how to use the quote button but a dumb button would work for you too I suppose. You keep typing and offering suggestions of phones calls, threats etc, The rest of us will offer real solutions.
__________________
John
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Colorado350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Mike1931
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Default

RayChez1,
Thank you for being one of the same members of this site. I was beginning to wonder if there were just only those whom wanted to argue, instead of helping people that need it.
Thanks for being there!
Mike in Tulalip Washington
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
atreis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 120
Default

I really don't think we can guess what the full story is at this point without more input from the OP. My post gave options, depending on what the situation is ... Whether you agree with the ones I gave or not is up to you, but doing anything other than giving options seems inappropriate as we don't have a complete picture of the situation. As given, it could range from no problem at all (new brakes that need to burn in) to very serious dealer issues (brakes that are inoperable).
__________________
2014 Innsbruck Lite 198BH
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
TurtleMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: puyallup
Posts: 10
Default

So thanks for all of your responses the fact of the matter is I dont know anything about this thing this is the first trailer I have owned and after I left the dealer with the trailer I assumed the guy who set up the trailer new what was safe however after thinking about it and looking on the web I determined he was just tired of me complaining and wanted me out. The guy hooked up the trailer to my car and we drove for about 10 minutes and he was cranking on the prodigy thing and we could smell something burning he turned around to dealership and said there just drive it around and it will work. I have decided to take it to another place have them take the brakes apart and clean them and make sure they are working. I honestly dont know what went wrong but in my opinion when I buy a brand new trailer for 35k I shouldnt have to worry if my brakes work PERIOD.
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
Colorado350
Member
 
Colorado350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan View Post
So thanks for all of your responses the fact of the matter is I dont know anything about this thing this is the first trailer I have owned and after I left the dealer with the trailer I assumed the guy who set up the trailer new what was safe however after thinking about it and looking on the web I determined he was just tired of me complaining and wanted me out. The guy hooked up the trailer to my car and we drove for about 10 minutes and he was cranking on the prodigy thing and we could smell something burning he turned around to dealership and said there just drive it around and it will work. I have decided to take it to another place have them take the brakes apart and clean them and make sure they are working. I honestly dont know what went wrong but in my opinion when I buy a brand new trailer for 35k I shouldnt have to worry if my brakes work PERIOD.
Any chance youíre in Colorado? Iíll help you get them working or pm me and I can help you over the phone or email. Youíll learn about your rig and not have to depend on anyone else.
__________________
John
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Colorado350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #16
TurtleMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: puyallup
Posts: 10
Default

Thank you for your help I live in Washington state I am also handicap so I cant do a lot things anymore so I depend on others.
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #17
Colorado350
Member
 
Colorado350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan View Post
Thank you for your help I live in Washington state I am also handicap so I cant do a lot things anymore so I depend on others.
Alright, if you have any questions etc donít be afraid to reach out...
__________________
John
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Colorado350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #18
Frutza
Senior Member
 
Frutza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 243
Default

It's only a phone call
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/contact-us
__________________
Mike & Becky
2005 Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #19
Frutza
Senior Member
 
Frutza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 243
Default

I just found this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF02272020_00000.jpg (290.1 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Mike & Becky
2005 Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
RayChez1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
I just found this
Can not read anything on what you posted. Tried to use the magnifier and it is too blurry.
__________________
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
2018 Buick Envision Essence
Neway Freightliner chassis
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×