Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2024, 08:01 PM   #1
BIG BLUE in TN

Question Newbie -Class A - power issue

The 50 amp cord is not working. We think it is a breaker issue. Where do I find this on a 2007 Gulfstream Cresendo 8356? It’s 38’
BIG BLUE in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
Chuck v

Blue,

If your coach has AC power when you run the generator, it is not a breaker issue. Attached is the AC entry wiring for coaches like yours. The 50 amp service cord goes first to the transfer switch and then on to the coach loads if the generator is not running.

It is possible for a 50 amp service cord with a reel to have issues with the slip rings in that mechanism...I had that once on my Tour Master. If your coach does not have a real function on your 50 amp cord, that will not be an issue...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 amp primary wiring on GS coaches.jpg (93.1 KB, 2 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:09 AM   #3
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE in TN View Post
The 50 amp cord is not working. We think it is a breaker issue. Where do I find this on a 2007 Gulfstream Cresendo 8356? It’s 38’
If it's like my 2007, on the base of the bed. Check those breakers. If that's not it, you may want to grab a meter to see if you have 110V coming in to the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) under the bed. All of your power coming in to the coach is there under the bed. (Again, if you're like the same year Tour Masters).
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
Chuck v

Attached is the complete 110 volt wiring diagram for Gulf Stream coaches with 50 amp service...maybe it will be of additional use:

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 amp coach AC wiring diagram.JPG (229.4 KB, 6 views)

Old 03-20-2024, 09:15 PM   #5
proost

Hey Chuck, do you have a 110V diagram specific to your coach? I have two panels (the one shown but slightly different) and a branch circuit panel.

Reason I ask is because on my main panel, I have a GFCI "Engine Heater" breaker that also powers an outlet in my cord reel bay. Not sure if that Engine Heater breaker can remain closed or should be open only when needed. I believe it has been closed for years.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:51 AM   #6
Chuck v

Phil,

The diagram in my post of 3-16 above is the only one I have... You can see it is quite generic and does not even show the shore cable power reel to wind up the 50 amp cord -- so that set of slip ring contacts is not seen on this drawing.

The engine heater breaker is the one that controls the 110 outlet (upper right rear of bay, as I recall) in the bay with the cord reel. The engine heater is a corded unit that is plugged into this outlet. If nothing is plugged in there, look for a loose cord with plug in the adjacent area...maybe a prior owner unplugged it. I thought the heater was thermostatically controlled to only operate at temps below about 35 degrees or so -- much like frozen pipe heater tape. You can use an AC amp meter to see if anything is drawing power on that circuit. I would expect any useful engine heater to draw multiple amps, perhaps as much as 8 or 10.

I used this outlet to power the battery maintainer/charger for my engine batteries when on shore power, so that breaker was always on at my coach. Since I was in coastal Oregon, I never used the engine block heater, and that cord was left unplugged...

Chuck

Old 03-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #7
proost

Thanks Chuck. Last night, that lightbulb came on in my head because I have that unmarked power cord. Hey, now I know what it's for! We've been all over the country but haven't used the heater at all. Much appreciated.

Phil

Tags
breakers, electrical issue