Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #61
Capt_Bill_USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Your plug with the 4 prongs allows you to have two legs at 110. It's not 230 on either.
Every 230 breaker circuit is going to be able to be split in half like that and be two 110 circuits. Or one 230 if you use the two 110's together.
Ok, thank you!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #62
UAHaerospace

...just to complete this '50amp RV service' electrical discussion:

50amp RV electrical service is 240v service, just like at your home
...it includes:
- a Double-Pole 50amp Main Breaker set(two 50amp breakers with a shared trip handle)
- TWO hot wires(Black, Red), and Neutral wire(White), and a Ground(green or bare)
- a 4-pronged OUTLET

While many may misinterpret 50amp RV service as simply 'only 20amps more than 30amp service', the two types of service are actually much different...

While 30amp RV service is a different 3-pronged plug, and is only 120v power, the
50amp RV service is 240v service at the Shore Power outlet.
When you PLUG IN your 50amp shore power Cord, from your RV, the same 240v power enters your ATS(Auto Transfer Switch), and then into your MAIN PANEL, still as 240v power, indicated by your own Main Panel's 50amp DOUBLE-POLE main breaker set, just exactly like the one at the shore power Pedestal.

When the 240v power enters your Main Breakers, though, it is then 'SPLIT' into two separate and independent Power Buss Bars, which the individual Circuit Breakers attach to in the panel. While you may not can 'see' these power Buss bars, they provide 120v power to the two 'SIDES' of power in your RV - essentially creating two separate 120v lines of service, or 100amps of usable 120v power.

With this type of 'split' service, a 50amp RV actually has 70 AMPS MORE of 120v power than the aforementioned 30amp RV service.

Yes, there are a very, very few higher-end Motorhomes, and even 5th Wheels, that will provide a main panel that uses the actual incoming 240v service, such as for a residential 240v clothes dryer. While these main panels are more like your home's main panel, and can allow for the inclusion and use of individual double-pole circuit breakers to access this 240v power, the vast majority of RVs with 50amp service don't have appliances that require this - their main panels actually don't even have this capability.

Could we simple 'rename' 50amp RV service as "100amp RV service" in order to more simplify the equation? Possibly, and some campgrounds, rv parks, and resorts actually DO use the term '100amp service', but the main reason that the vast majority don't is really do to the fact that the electrical industry doesn't either.
The electrical industry looks at the number on the Main Breaker, and uses that as the 'vernacular', or term, for the 'amount' of power you have. Since the main breaker is a double-pole 50amp type, it is called then '50amp Service', regardless whether it is 240v service, or 120v service.

It is what it is, whether we might be confused by it or not.

But, it's also a reason that many campers who have always had 30amp RVs might think that those of us with 50amp RVs are only getting '20amps more' of power.... but, alas, it's not that simple.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #63
UAHaerospace

Exclamation

here's a 'diagram' of a typical 50amp RV service(240v) into a typical RV...
where it simply uses both 'sides' of the power, which is 120v for each...
(which is also why you actually have 100amps of 120v to make use of!)

{if you have an ATS(auto transfer switch, which most newer RVs do), it simply sits between the shore cord and the main panel - nothing with the wiring shown here is any different, otherwise}

and yes, there are main panels that are designed differently, with a 50amp main breaker set on the far left, or even some panels are vertical, more like yours at home, but in the end, the same wiring scheme remains.
My coach even has a similar, but different, panel, with the Main breakers on the far left, and an integrated 'sub-panel' set of breaker, with it's own power buss bar, on the far right - which is simply a more 'custom' main panel design that allows the manufacturer to more easily install the 'whole house' inverter's output within the main panel, without a totally separate sub-panel.
Attached Images
File Type: png 50amp RV service at 240v incoming, 120v usage.png (33.1 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50amp RV service at 240v incoming, 120v usage.pdf (48.3 KB, 3 views)
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #64
Chuck v

UAHaerospace,

Thank you for your informative posts above which really add to the discussion here. It was useful to point out that the 50 amp RV service connection is actually TWO 50 amp legs (phases) of 120 volt supply yielding a total of 100 amps of availability. This point is really driven home if you simply look at the typical park service panel as shown below.

• The 30 amp outlet has a single 30 amp breaker
  • The 50 amp outlet has TWO 50 amp breakers coupled together
  • The white GFI AC dual outlet has a single 20 amp breaker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x50 amp, 1x30 amp, 1x20 amp RV service post.jpg (172.5 KB, 2 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #65
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thank you to all who responded.
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #66
Sundancer268

On my 1995 Scenic Cruiser the power comes into t ATS which selects either generator power or shore power with the generator as the primary source if both are available. Power then goes to the main power panel through a 50 amp dual pole circuit breaker. This is the main disconnect for the panel. In this panel there are three circuit breakers (CB), two 20 amp CBs feeding the two A/C units and a 30 amp feeding my Inverter, originally a Heart unit like yours. The Inverter then feeds the second power panel which powers all the 120 volt loads in my coach. My original inverter fried and I lost all my 120 volt circuits and the battery charger, to continue our trip, I had to remove the Inverter from the system by connecting the Inverter power in and out wires together. This at least gave me power to run some electric heaters until I got home and could replace the Inverter. I have since carried a battery charger along with me so I am fully prepared for any future charger/Inverter problems.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #67
seangsowner

Hi Chuck. I have a 1993 8391 tour master. I Can't seem to find an owners manual anywhere. Gulfstream only had a 1998 version. Right now, I'm looking for a release button of some kind to be able to release the generator tray to be able to get at the gen. I believe it should be in the stairwell area as per some other comments on another forum. I do have a spot in that cluster which is missing a switch or something. And there's a blue and a red wire sticking out.
seangsowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #68
Chuck v

Sean,

My 2007 Tour Master did not have the generator on a slide, so I have no personal knowledge of how yours may latch and release. I did check the GS archives to verify that your 1993 generator DOES have such a slide, but the brochure there does not show any details on the latch.

I expect the latch is mechanical and not electrically actuated, but again that is just my thought on the matter. It certainly could be a remote electrically actuated release if the mechanism is way back in there...have you crawled under the front of your coach and inspected the generator slide rails for where the latch might be?

Good luck -- sorry I could not be of any specific help. What does GS say when you contact them?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote