Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
VocalVirgo

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
Default Hello and thanks for having me...

I believe this is my first post (my memory is Hashimoto’s shot, so who knows, lol), but I just wanted to say thanks for having me and I’m glad there’s so many Gulf Stream owners here on a dedicated forum.

I purchased a 2021 BT Cruiser 5210 in early November 2020. It should be ready for me to pick up in February 2021. I’m not sure if the place I bought it from will know all the ins/outs of the unit, as it’s not something they usually sell, but can order. So, I may be coming here for some answers if the dealership doesn’t have the answers, or if I can’t find them elsewhere online, or if the BT Cruiser guy at Gulf Stream in Indiana can’t answer any questions I may have.
I only ordered 2 options on my unit (the dinette in place of the second couch and the heated tanks), so I’m hoping for a pretty easy drive-off experience (fingers crossed).

I already have a question for other 5210 owners who have just the 1 house battery: Is it enough to fire up the furnace all night on cold nights? I honestly don’t expect the 1 battery to be able to keep both the tank heating pads and the furnace ignition switch over the course of a freezing night. But if I keep the black/grey tanks half full or less, I shouldn’t have to worry about the freezing hurting the tanks (right??). I’m mostly just hoping that the battery is at least enough to ignite the furnace many times overnight. Oh, and I guess the fridge/freezer too...

Please, if anyone has any experience with this, or anything else they think I should know, please share it with me in this thread. I’d appreciate it very much, and thank you in advance.

Here’s to a hopefully much better 2021 everyone!! I know I’m looking forward to going back to my full time RV life!

And thanks again!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
Rolsmith

Hi,
We have a 2003 5210 with heated tanks and a single house battery. I have never used the heated tank option but I can tell you that with our unit, the furnace blower is 120v and will only work when the rig is hooked to shore power or the generator is on line. Our refrigerator is gas/electric but needs 120v for the electric bit.
The house battery really only services the interior lights, the electric steps and the vent fan in the bathroom.
Rolsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
RayChez1

For dry camping? One battery will not last the night. I have four house batteries and it would be hard on them much less one battery. The heating of the tanks and if you have a residential type refrigerator. It will not last the night and you are going to have a cold night in bed. You need full hookups for something like what you want.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
VocalVirgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolsmith View Post
Hi,
We have a 2003 5210 with heated tanks and a single house battery. I have never used the heated tank option but I can tell you that with our unit, the furnace blower is 120v and will only work when the rig is hooked to shore power or the generator is on line. Our refrigerator is gas/electric but needs 120v for the electric bit.
The house battery really only services the interior lights, the electric steps and the vent fan in the bathroom.
Your furnace blower won’t work unless it has shore power? That is so strange… Most RV furnaces light up and blow while off grid without having to use the generator… Wow. I hope that is not the case with a 2021.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
VocalVirgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
For dry camping? One battery will not last the night. I have four house batteries and it would be hard on them much less one battery. The heating of the tanks and if you have a residential type refrigerator. It will not last the night and you are going to have a cold night in bed. You need full hookups for something like what you want.
The fridge is a 2-way. And I hopefully won’t be in places that are so cold that I need to use the heat pads. But, the furnace should work like any other RV furnace... kicks on and blows using house battery. Same with the water heater and water pump.
I know 1 house battery is not ideal...
Old 01-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
dpitchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Your furnace blower won’t work unless it has shore power? That is so strange… Most RV furnaces light up and blow while off grid without having to use the generator… Wow. I hope that is not the case with a 2021.
Agree. Seems strange to me. I have rented RVs thrice (different models), and the furnace lights up with blower on its own and did not needed AC power or Gen. We drove from Indiana to Florida, Indiana to Wisconsin etc. with the furnace ON while driving.

Similar to you, I am also waiting on my 5210 (Dinette). I ordered on Oct 2020, and they said it will be ready for pick up by Dec 2020 but I have not got yet. I was told that delay is at Ford in delivering E350s and not at Gulf Stream. I am hoping I will get mine by end of Feb.

Thanks!
dpitchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:38 AM   #7
VocalVirgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpitchai View Post
Agree. Seems strange to me. I have rented RVs thrice (different models), and the furnace lights up with blower on its own and did not needed AC power or Gen. We drove from Indiana to Florida, Indiana to Wisconsin etc. with the furnace ON while driving.

Similar to you, I am also waiting on my 5210 (Dinette). I ordered on Oct 2020, and they said it will be ready for pick up by Dec 2020 but I have not got yet. I was told that delay is at Ford in delivering E350s and not at Gulf Stream. I am hoping I will get mine by end of Feb.

Thanks!
Yeah, the spark in the furnace and the blowe get their power from the house battery.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
bbaluski

I have the 5130 basically your model but with the slide. Our furnace runs off battery but it uses a lot of power. We have two batteries. We usually run it till it’s nice and warm and then turn it off. We might turn it on again once or twice if it’s crazy cold, we put bubble wrap between windows and shades. Slide some silver insulation along the sides of the bunks. We put up an insulated curtain around the windshield and a second one closing off the cab section at night. We have nice thick rugs on the floors. We have never had our tanks freeze because it’s not that well insulated between the tank and the cab. We do put antifreeze in the grey water if its below 20.
You will love your new little home.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
Leisure Time Larry

Congrats on the new rig, VV! I'm with the others that recommend a second battery out of the gate if you are planning to be off pedestal and run the heater. I also run the heat for a good stretch before bed to get it toasty then turn it way down and put on some extra blankets. I recommend getting a windshield cover. That helps a bit with heat retention, as does getting a good heavy blanket made into a divider curtain to separate the van from the house. Having that go all of the way to the floor helps a lot. I have some other tips and tricks in my tour video if you care to check it out... https://youtu.be/G3BNvR6eM2Q

When you get yours, take the time to go through it to learn about it. Take photos and notes. What circuits are your lights and outlets on, what is under the couch, dinette, drawer, etc. Take off the access panels and take photos. The internet can help, but that initial elbow grease will pay off down the road.

I look forward to your photos and stories. Happy camping.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:26 AM   #10
VocalVirgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
Congrats on the new rig, VV! I'm with the others that recommend a second battery out of the gate if you are planning to be off pedestal and run the heater. I also run the heat for a good stretch before bed to get it toasty then turn it way down and put on some extra blankets. I recommend getting a windshield cover. That helps a bit with heat retention, as does getting a good heavy blanket made into a divider curtain to separate the van from the house. Having that go all of the way to the floor helps a lot. I have some other tips and tricks in my tour video if you care to check it out... https://youtu.be/G3BNvR6eM2Q

When you get yours, take the time to go through it to learn about it. Take photos and notes. What circuits are your lights and outlets on, what is under the couch, dinette, drawer, etc. Take off the access panels and take photos. The internet can help, but that initial elbow grease will pay off down the road.

I look forward to your photos and stories. Happy camping.
Thanks so much fir this, and I will indeed check out the link you sent.
I was told there is only room for 1 battery, but in a few photos, it like like there may be room for a second. If not, I may get a li-ion battery so that I’ll have a lot more usable energy. We’ll see how it goes and I’m looking forward ward getting it and learning it. I’ll post pictures. Fingers crossed that the shakedown trip doesn’t reveal too many things that need attention.