Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
SnowGoAK

Default Here is the ongoing story on our Gulfstream Yellowstone

I live in Alaska, back in April my wife and I purchased a bran new 23' holdover 2009 Gulfstream Yellowstone class C from a dealer in Wyoming. We bought tickets to fly down and drive it back up to Alaska in June.

We asked the dealer several times in the two months leading up to our arrival that the RV be inspected thoroughly so we wouldn't have any surprises before our 3500 mile trip. Our sales rep said it had been done when it hadn't. When we arrived water was flowing out the door from a busted water pump and the outside was filthy. We ended up sitting at the dealership for over 8 hours as more and more issues were discovered, few of which could be repaired at that time.

We lost two days on our trip while the dealer fixed a few of the items. They assured us they would work with the local Alaska dealer to make sure everything else was taken care of as soon as we got home. In hindsight we never should have excepted and got our money back.

Once we got back to Alaska it became quickly apparent that the dealer we purchased it from wasn't going to be overly helpful.

Mostly through the local Alaska dealer about half the issues have been taken care of, but we haven't been able to get approval from Gulfstream on several of the remaining items and they have stopped returning phone calls and emails.

Here is the list of issues on our new RV:

-Dent in front bumper
-Water Pump Blew Out
-Water leaked from blown pump damaged the wood around the dinette
-Battery terminals and connectors extremely corroded
-Main door leaking around window
-Front bunk window has severe leak
-Leak from front bunk window has caused water damage to area. (stains show it was leaking well before we picked it up)
-Front bunk curtains, pads and upholstery stained from water damage
-Front bunk curtain track broken
-Missing vent filter over stove
-Missing TV Remote
-Dinette cushion seams coming apart
-Glass on Bathroom sliding door has come loose from frame. Doesn't slide correctly on rail
-Generator runs but stopped generating power
-Refrigerator stopped working on the trip, but is now working again.
-Bottom half of generator exhaust reinforcement is missing
-Fresh water indicator showing 2/3rds when full
-Fire extinguisher was empty
-External stove vent housing missing
-Driver's seatbelt was installed incorrectly and may be a safety hazard

Here are the photos in an Adobe PDF:
Photos of Issues In Our New Gulfstream Yellowstone

All the tires were set to 38psi when they should have been set to 75 in the front and 70 in that back. This was not discovered until after the 3500 mile trip. They dealer claimed they set the pressures right and we must have had leaks (in all 6 tires at the same rate?) Once the pressure was set correctly we gained 2mpg.

For some still unknown reason the holding tanks were 2/3 full at the time of purchase. The service manager dumped the tanks but forgot to close the valves resulting in sewage somewhere along highway 20.

The alignment was so far off it cost nearly $400 to get it fixed since it required replace parts to get it into spec.

Since the unit had sat on the dealers lot for a little over a year both Gulfstream and the dealer have referred to our RV has "lot rot" and has basically alluded that the problems are to be expected and we should be happy since we got it at a decent price. That makes me mad since it was advertised as new with a full warranty. Besides no matter how long it sits on the lot the dealer has responsibility to maintain their inventory. If it is being sold and advertised as new, the buyer should expect it to be in new condition.
SnowGoAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
coolchas11

Sorry about all of the issues. No excuses for the dealer and GS.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Wildblue

Default Re: Here is the ongoing story on our Gulfstream Yellowstone

SnowGoAk, I'm just wondering how the Alaskan dealer has been for you, especially with the service. The Wyoming dealer may have dumped you, but are the Anchorage guys taking care of you? (I'm in Wasilla)

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Jim

Default Re: Here is the ongoing story on our Gulfstream Yellowstone

I have been waiting since med Feb for them to send a roller for my slide, they had the part number, but wanted the vin # . They then asked for pict of the part and was sent the broken part, the last word from GS was that the dealer only ordered the part March 8. This is a cash deal and no woranty issues but they still can't get it right. Longview knows how to order on this end and GS is screwing up on their end.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote