Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Trini

Default Antenna

We seem to have problems with our antenna staying in place and also make a lot of noise when we are driving. Anyone else having this problem? We have the Gulfstream Countryclub Calss A. Love the rig.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
RayChez1

What kind of antenna are you talking about? And I have never heard of a Country Club class A Gulf Stream coach. Could you elaborate a little more on your coach and the antenna problem.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
03heritagerider

Trini - I cant say we've had a problem with the antena, but when driving, if the wind catches it just right, the wing or the cable will lift a bit and tap on the roof.

Make sure the directional dial is in the proper position before turning the hand crank to lower the antena. On mine, the directional ring/dial must be pointed directly to the rear of the coach. Then get up on the roof while someone drops it down to make sure it is laying flat.

Ray-I think the Country Club is a Yellowstone.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Arthur Hayes

I have also experienced the cable noise in the past. What I did was to turn the crank handle as if to raise the antenna just enough to take up the slack on the cable. You will feel it. Give this a try the next time you move.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Chuck v

Art, Trini and others following this thread.

There is an accessory called the "wind deflector kit" shown on the Winegard site with a model number of BW-1000. Here is the link:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/24 ... w-1000.pdf

I have tried to get Camping World and other sources that carry Winegard to price/order this part but was unsuccessful. I am sure one could make this little metal part in your own garage, but here is what worked as an alternative...

What I did instead for my coach was to place two self adhesive soft vinyl bumpers under the front edge of the antenna wing when in the stowed position. These were adhered to the roof surface, so they do not interfere with the raised antenna but do help reduce the 'tapping' noise of the antenna touching the roof when vibrating in the wind while under way. For my coach, the noise started at about 50 MPH so it was really annoying during any highway driving...

Hope this helps!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Ultra Supreme

I did the same as Chuck and have not heard a thing since.

2004 38 ft. Ultra Supreme
Ultra Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
keikomika

We have had a problem with noise from above but it was the radio antenna. The little rubber ones on either side of the coach on top. In high winds at 55 miles an hour of higher, they flap against the roof..Scared the heck out of everyone in the coach the first time we heard it...
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
RayChez1

OK, so it is the crank up antenna that is making the noise when it is retracted and mine used to do the same thing. So what I done was to cut a piece of carpet 12x12 inches. I put some adhesive on the bottom of the carpet and I glued it right under the antenna receiver where it was pounding on the fiberglas roof on rough roads. That solved my problem with the knocking noise on the roof caused by the crank type antenna.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikomika
We have had a problem with noise from above but it was the radio antenna. The little rubber ones on either side of the coach on top. In high winds at 55 miles an hour of higher, they flap against the roof..Scared the heck out of everyone in the coach the first time we heard it...
Those radio antenna's are adjustable. You must have them tilting back. Loosen up the set screw on the side and point the antenna's straight up. I have the sam, but I have never heard them hit the roof.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Trini

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
What kind of antenna are you talking about? And I have never heard of a Country Club class A Gulf Stream coach. Could you elaborate a little more on your coach and the antenna problem.
Never mind we replaced it antenna. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
J79Engine

Default Re: Antenna

The new Digital Bat wing Antenna is the way to go which bolts in almost perfectly to replace the original anaolog antenna and no need to raise or lower it in future. It is the same hight as the AC units so no need for concern. It rotates with a knob which has LED light to help get the best reception, then a switch to turn off the LED light after alignment. The reception on anaolog televisions is perfect. Hopefully when I finish installing flat screen HD digital televions it will continue to be perfect. Best thing I did was to replace the old antique analog tV antenna.
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote