Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
TurtleMan

awesome thank you
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #22
Colorado350

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Can not read anything on what you posted. Tried to use the magnifier and it is too blurry.

Here’s an actual link... As you can see the brakes must be burnished in if they are going to work properly. I mentioned earlier if the camper was brought in on a semi trailer the brakes never got burnished in... if you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself I’m sure the Dealer can do this for you. Show them this information.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001947.pdf
Old 02-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
TurtleMan

wow I will ask them
Old 02-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #24
Frutza

It was blurry to start with, thanks Colorado, John?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #25
Colorado350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
It was blurry to start with, thanks Colorado, John?
You’re very welcome. Yup, John
Old 02-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #26
TurtleMan

So based on that it looks like the dealer wasnt being a butthead anb the weird thing is I looked all over my paperwork from gulfstream and couldnt find that info anywhere and in fact before I posted the thread I looked all over the internet for info and found nothing.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #27
Frutza

Not to worry, in no time you'll be the one giving advice
Old 02-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #28
RayChez1

In all my life and I am 77 years old and have bought many vehicles. I have never ever heard of brakes that do not work because they are not broken in. To me that is a company waiting for a law suit on them for not preparing the vehicle to be safe with good brakes right out of the dealership. A person that buys a new trailer or motor home is expecting good brakes from the start and if he/she got into an accident because of no brakes because of a glaze as somebody described calls for a multi million dollar law suit.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #29
atreis

It's actually pretty normal, even with cars ... For cars, the repair shop will do a test drive and break in new rotors/drums and pads during that (so a typical owner would never know this is needed).

Links:
https://v2.powerstop.com/installatio...ont-brake-pad/
See Step 17.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php
Old 03-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #30
Chuck v

Raychez,

I can read it but it is a challenge, just had to click on it and my computer shows a somewhat larger version. Attached is a PDF of the updated document from Lippert that is easier to read and has complete information on two methods...

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf burnishing new brakes.pdf (127.8 KB, 4 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #31
jol

to original poster, just a quick issue we had on 2016 Vintage Cruiser. We were coming into Memphis when information on dash of truck flashed up trailer disconnected, what 60 miles per hour and trailer is disconnected. Well it wasn't but as we were slowing down did notice extra push. Got to our campground which was in Memphis and decided to check on what was awry still had many more miles to go. Checked truck end all seemed good using a multi-meter. Checked trailer side all seemed okay went old school and pulled break-away and nothing on trailer brakes happened usually you can hear the magnets clunk or a humming noise from them. Now I am thinking trailer end there are no fuses on the line to the brakes according to tech where we bought trailer and he said may be truck controller. Well already tested that so got all ambitious and went on search under trailer, in box on front where all the connectors are and such got to left wheel single axle trailer and noticed a wire not connected to anything. Ended up being the "scotchlock" type connector they used had cut wire evidently did the strip and wire all together taped it up and now we had brakes. When we got home I redid most of the connectors with but splices and heat shrink tubing. You may check there.
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:53 AM   #32
Oconomowoc

I had a 2017 Ford 150 and I could not get the brakes to engage with the brake controller. I took it to the dealer, everything was ok. Took it to a RV dealer, everything checked out good. Spent hours trying to figure out why my brake controller in the Ford wouldn’t work. Seeing no other options, I read the owners manual from Ford. Below 11 mph, all the braking would be done by my truck. I hope this helps.
Page 314 of Ford manual
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...18.pdf#page285
Oconomowoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #33
jmlock

I’m having the same issue with a 2022 199rk. I’ll be adding a 6ohm resister between the trailer brake power and ground shortly. It appears to be a common problem with certain Ford factory brake controllers not getting enough resistance to acknowledge the trailer brakes.
jmlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #34
jmlock

Just an update for anyone who cares, the resistor worked. Trailer brakes now work.
jmlock is offline   Reply With Quote