Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Ldubs

Default Angle of Departure

We have two tracks leading to our side yard where we park our Vintage Cruiser 19ERD. They are made of pavers to match our hardscaping. The grade from the curb to the parking area is not uniform. Sadly, we bottom out at the beginning of the tracks. Once we get past the first 70", we are good. I've already installed quick release brackets for the stabilizer jacks to get them out of the way.

Currently I use 30" long double thicknesses of 2x lumber under the trailer tires to raise the trailer. I kind of have to leap-frog these "ramps" a few times until I'm clear. That works fine, is probably entertaining for the neighbors, but is truly a pain in the neck.

My options seem to be to 1) Continue to use the 2x "ramps" (Ugh), 2) Regrade my pavers (Ugh, Ugh), or 3) increase my trailer clearance.

My axle is currently mounted under the spring, so a simple flip is not in the cards. I do have a drop axle (not sure if it is 3" or 4"). So, perhaps replacing that with a straight axle is my best bet.

I have yet to discuss this with the place that would do the work. Anyone done this? What does the collective wisdom say about this kind of change?

Thx.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
elmerfud

Default Angle of departure

How about installing Air lift bags on the trailer springs to lift the trailer in those situations.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
How about installing Air lift bags on the trailer springs to lift the trailer in those situations.

I like that idea a lot. It is a single axle leaf-spring. I know basically nothing about air lift beyond what I've read here for tow vehicles. Worth asking about for sure.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
We have two tracks leading to our side yard where we park our Vintage Cruiser 19ERD. They are made of pavers to match our hardscaping. The grade from the curb to the parking area is not uniform. Sadly, we bottom out at the beginning of the tracks. Once we get past the first 70", we are good. I've already installed quick release brackets for the stabilizer jacks to get them out of the way.

Currently I use 30" long double thicknesses of 2x lumber under the trailer tires to raise the trailer. I kind of have to leap-frog these "ramps" a few times until I'm clear. That works fine, is probably entertaining for the neighbors, but is truly a pain in the neck.

My options seem to be to 1) Continue to use the 2x "ramps" (Ugh), 2) Regrade my pavers (Ugh, Ugh), or 3) increase my trailer clearance.

My axle is currently mounted under the spring, so a simple flip is not in the cards. I do have a drop axle (not sure if it is 3" or 4"). So, perhaps replacing that with a straight axle is my best bet.

I have yet to discuss this with the place that would do the work. Anyone done this? What does the collective wisdom say about this kind of change?

Thx.
Regrading pavers sound like cheapest, easiest to hire out, fastest? Maybe even a teenage neighbor/ relative, especially if you can supervise? Alternate explore current MANPOWER RATES/ job by phone call, or local landscaper? They might even have extra, good ideas? p.s. FIX the Landscape and you ar then ready for future RVs?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Regrading pavers sound like cheapest, easiest to hire out, fastest? Maybe even a teenage neighbor/ relative, especially if you can supervise? Alternate explore current MANPOWER RATES/ job by phone call, or local landscaper? They might even have extra, good ideas? p.s. FIX the Landscape and you ar then ready for future RVs?

Thanks THenne. That really is a good suggestion. What teenager would pass up a chance to use an electric demolition jack hammer! haha.

Sadly, as it turns out changing the pavers is likely the more expensive. They are set on a 6" compacted base between concrete footers that support the border pavers. It would involve quite a bit of tear out, excavation and grading. Estimates are pretty high. If cost were taken out of the equation redoing the pavers would be the best solution. I guess that is the price I pay for insisting the original hardscape contractor build a robust set of tracks to the side yard.

Our dealer gave a referral to a place for the suspension work. I need to get on the stick and give those guys a call so I can make a decision.