Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Cal

Default Install extended grab handle on 198BH

My wife has some physical issues which make it difficult for her to get in and out of our 198BH. An extended grab handle, would likely help. The Stromberg-Carlson "Lend-a-hand", folding grab handle seems to be a good choice. Mounting it may be an issue, though.

Will there be enough support alongside the door to allow mounting?

The trailer has a small grab handle installed, from the factory. I have no way of knowing though, whether the mounting surface(maybe a stud?) it is installed on extends far enough down to allow mounting the longer handle. Is it mounted on a full length stud?
Any info is much appreciated

Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Colorado350

You could take the stock one off and see what the mounting surface looks like or email GS... My guess is that with it being close to the door it’s in the door frame. Plenty of anchors that if installed properly would work well.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
Gregory

Default Grab handle

I have one on my 199DD.
It is installed right next to the door frame and the bottom attachment is 24" from the trailer bottom.
Just be sure you don't use too long of a screw.��
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Cal

Default Extended grab handle

Thanks, fellas.
I reckoned there should be a stud to anchor the handle to. I'll be extra careful though, securing it in place. Last thing I want to do is punch a screw through the inner wall.

Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Colorado350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Thanks, fellas.
I reckoned there should be a stud to anchor the handle to. I'll be extra careful though, securing it in place. Last thing I want to do is punch a screw through the inner wall.

Cal
IF you do go through the wall, simply use a backing “plate” on the inside and use bolts/nuts to secure the handle. Plenty of options to cover the bolts on the inside...