Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
ray and margaret

Default Hand-Deld CB Radios

Margaret and I uust got back from a Life on Wheels seminar in Bowling Green, Kentucky. One of the recommendations was that when we go full time later this year that we should invest in a CB radio. I do not particularly care for a CB unit hanging under my dashboard in my F-250 Ford. I have seen several hand-held CB radios and wondered if anyone has any suggestions about the hand-held vs. the mounted unit.

Thanks,

Ray and Margaret

Max and Xena are our two traveling cats
ray and margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
earljan34

Ray, I have both the hand held does not have the range of the one mounted under dash. Check out the cobra one that all that shows is the mike this is what I have now and it works great (camping world #15947) you can take the mike off buy another power unit for about $27 and use it in the trailer too. Hope this helps you.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
lockdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljan34
Ray, I have both the hand held does not have the range of the one mounted under dash. Check out the cobra one that all that shows is the mike this is what I have now and it works great (camping world #15947) you can take the mike off buy another power unit for about $27 and use it in the trailer too. Hope this helps you.

Earl
Yeah...what he just said!

My father in law uses that same radio and it works great and has all the controls and all right in the handset so you don't have that big ugly box hanging under your dash. You have enough cord for the handset to even hide the connector mount if you need to or want to do that as well!

Kevin
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

We have the Cobra Modile CB that all the controls are on the handset and that is the only thing you see. There is a small box that is mounted under the dash in the motorhome and it is out of sight. It has a connector that one can unscrew to remove the handset in case you want to remove it. It can also receive the NOAA Weather Channels.

It works great.
Camping World have them on sale right now: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15947&src=SRQB

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
mitchk

I have walkie talkie type to give to followers. My other cb is the one everyone is talking about (all controls in hand set). The walkie talkie receives signal well if you just want it for listening. When it comes time to transmit, it is weak. It has a jack for an external antennae, never tried it. I just tell follower don't fall back too far or I won't be able to hear you.
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote