Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
mdpuff

Default Hello all, new Streamer here!

Gulfstreamer that is. Just joined the forum as we just bought a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium, 330 Cat on Freightliner chassis. Haven't had a chance to get out much yet but love the unit so far. One issue I have is the air ride, I was expecting to have a much smoother ride than we had with our old leaf sprung motor home but it seams pretty rough so I suspect the shocks. Can anyone chime in here with some advice as to a shock brand and model that might give us a better ride?? We plan on retiring in a couple years and want to have this rig primed and ready to go so that we can enjoy years of trouble free RV'ing.
Thanks in advance, mdpuff
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Hello all, new Streamer here!

It should be riding smooth unless you have the air bag height adjusted wrong. You might even have a bad air bag. If the shocks are bad your coach would bounce up and down uncontrollably.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
mdpuff

Thanks for the reply, as far as adjustment goes there are only two positions on the switch, normal & dump air. I am assuming all the bags are in good shape as the coach goes up and down evenly and doesn't appear to have any leaks. I have read on other forums that people have changed shocks for a smoother ride as the original shocks were "Too Stiff" causing the rough ride. Just wondering if anyone on this forum have had this experience and what brand of shocks they have switched over to or am I just chasing my tail.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
RayHarkness

now that is interesting.....not sure why the ride would be rough. It does take some getting used to for air suspension, diesel and air brakes...Maybe give it some time. I dont' think you have air leaks, if you park it and the pressure stays up parked for a period. Not sure about shock if they make that much difference. hopefully somebody else will chime in and give you some ideas. This is a great place to post with questions. Some of these guys are really on top of things...R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
mdpuff

I thank you for your input. After driving thousands of miles in a 1994 diesel pusher with leaf springs I expected the 2004 with air ride to be much smoother and was surprised to find it to be only marginally smoother than leafs. Over smooth roads it floats along very nice but when you hit a bump you know it! Over rough surfaces things inside get to rattling pretty good and feels about the same as our leaf sprung unit. Guess I might be expecting too much from the air ride as I've heard lots of people saying how nice and smooth it is. Being a licenced mechanic I do know something about shocks and if they are too stiff such as heavy duty shocks that could attribute to the roughness I'm having. I can tell you that on some vehicles I've owned in the past I have upgraded the shocks / struts and noticed a better ride. If a set of shocks would help I would be all over changing them out.

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
RayHarkness

I think there will be some more postings on this. Lets see what others have to say. I have a 2002 Scenic Cruiser, and its really smooth.and the shocks are original. not a lot of miles on it. I am sure somebody will have some further information. Hang tight. RayChez usually has some good info...hang tight and see what the real users have to say!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
RayChez1

I have also had both leaf springs on a gasoline coach and air ride on my Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser, and the difference in ride is like day and night.

Have you checked the tire pressure? Some folks have so much air in the tires that they feel like rocks and will definitely give you a rough ride.

But if you are definite on changing the shocks I have read that Koni's are a very good shock absorbers.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
mdpuff

No I personally haven't checked the tire pressure, but I will. I made a point to ask the dealer to check the tire pressures (they just put new tires on it) and they informed me that they were bang on recommended spec's, like I believe a salesman............... Next thing is to find out what the part numbers are for the shocks, not as easy as a passenger car, one almost needs the numbers off the old shocks to cross them over. Not so easy to do when our coach is in Arizona and we are in Canada. Take final delivery in Feb and bring it home.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
RayHarkness

they key to this is the salesman would never lie........NO WAY...of course everything is just dandy. Ok..now that is demeaning to salesmen I suppose. but this business can be strange at times. I think thats a good idea. check the tire pressures. Honestly, I would rather have them up there bit hard, then soft, which can cause more problems. Heres the question, what kind of tires did they put on it?? that can be an issue as well. I think all of us like Michelin. Some have had great luck with Toyo as well. Sun is the killer on these tires. Thats my next thing to do..as I hang on to my wallet, and watch my credit card get crushed thinner
Old 11-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
mdpuff

Lots of great help here, if I recall correctly the tires are Toyo's, brand new installed in Oct and manufactured Dec of 2012 so I shouldn't have to worry about tires for a bit. Myself I do like to run my tires a bit on the hard side for longevity and less rolling resistance, but not too much pressure to cause uneven wear and harsh ride, generally about 5 psi over manufactures recommended. We plan on having this unit for a very long time so we want it to be in the best condition possible, my motto has always been "An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure". "I'd Rather Have it And Not Need it Than Need it And Not Have It!" I have already had the dealer change oil & filters on the engine and they are going to service the gen before we pick it up. I will grease it all myself, change the fan belts, new air dryer filter and water filter. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and service or replace anything that might remotely give us trouble. I for one do not like being stuck on the side of the road. Only happened to us once in 2008, about 50 miles north of Phoenix Az blew a tire, I was planning to put new tires on it when we got to Phoenix but we didn't quite make it.............. Knock on wood we have never had a mechanical break down and don't plan on having any, ever!