Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
pastordug

Default Black/Grey water issues

So we have taken our maiden voyage for a month up North and after being here for a week I have fixed numerous issues that have popped up. However I have run across one I could use some help on. I noticed that my GREY water indicator was showing FULL after I drained it. Bottom line is it seems as if the GREY water is going into the BLACK water tank? When I emptied the BLACK water the indicator went to E..... Any suggestions? I have no drawings for that system but Millie has been a BIG help in sending me lots of drawing for the other issues so I have requested them.
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Black/Grey water issues

Pastordug,

The tank indicators on these coaches are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. On my coach the grey water works fairly well, but I don't trust the top (red) led lamp -- and usually drain at 3/4 full. My black indicators almost always show full in error, and like many full time occupants I simply ignore them and drain the tank once a week.

There are after market tank level meters that are far more reliable and have improved accuracy -- SeeLevel is widely discussed on these forums and is highly rated...just a bit costly in my way of thinking. I have yet to add one to my coach as my routing is predictable enough that I can drain by schedule. If the coach were used less frequently, perhaps accurate tank levels would become more important to me.

Here is a link: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Ta...stem-s/164.htm

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
pastordug

Yeah a bit pricey! But I know there is an issue based on having emptied it before. My question is how would grey water drain into the black water tank? Is that even possible?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Chuck v

It should not be possible under normal circumstances...

But, If both gate valves were open AND the drain hose itself were blocked/capped then maybe both tanks could mix. This is extremely unlikely for you to have done, and quite unsafe from a sanitation standpoint. There is no other plumbing failure that I know of that would result in grey water moving into the black tank.

Some coaches allegedly have the bathroom sink drain into the black instead of the grey tank to try to make up for users not running enough water along with the flush, but I have never confirmed any instances of this in a way that I believe it. Maybe other members here have different stories to tell...

Chuck

Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
RayChez1

Since your coach was a used motor home when you purchased it, it might have been modified by the previous owner. I know of several that have been modified to where IF the grey tank fills up first that it will spill over to the black tank. You might have such a system, but for sure they did not come out of the factory like that.

Now as to the sensors not giving an accurate reading it is because the grey tank gets just as much crud on the inside of the tank as the black tank. So the only way that I solved that problem was to pour into the tank some Happy Camper. It is an enzyme that eats up all the crud on the inside of the tanks and leaves them clean where the sensors will work every time. Mine have been very accurate since I started using that stuff. I discovered Happy Camper at a FMCA rally and buy it through Amazon all the time. It turns all solids back into water and when you dump there is very little smell IF any. RVers that do not believe on using anything but water, when they dump, they just about run everybody out of the RV park with the stink.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Chuck v

I agree with the enzyme treatment for odor control...I will have to try the Happy Camper brand to see if it helps my level sensor accuracy.

I have also heard that using a bag of crushed ice added through the toilet before an hour or two drive prior to the dump site will 'scrub' the paper residue, etc. off the contacts on the level sensors. I have not done that as I am parked most of the time in my space where I rent long term for working at my out of state job.

Chuck

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
pastordug

So you just pour it down the sink? Shower? That's for the grey tank? My issue was the system was working for 2 weeks. And all of a sudden when I had a leak (it was a line coming from the shower/sink going to the grey tank) it started.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
pastordug

Just went out and pulled the "sewage" water handle (Black Water Tank) (the GREY water indicator was 3/4 full). And the GREY water indicator went to EMPTY? Then I pulled the "waste" water handle and a little came out but not much. It seems to me that the tanks have SWITCHED what they are supposed to be holding? I have absolutely no clue why? I have not done anything except fix that leaking hose that was kinked. I'm waiting for Millie from GS to send me some drawings. There has to be a valve?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
RayChez1

For the grey tank you just pour it down the sink drain, pour some water to wash it down into the holding tank. On the black tank we fill the toilet all the way up, pour the right amount according to the instructions, then just flush it down. Leave it in until you decide to dump. You will be amazed how it works. The container of the enzyme comes with a measuring small cup.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
pastordug

Got reply from GS.Here is the drawing of the drainage system. It looks as if the BATHROOM SINK also goes into the BLACK tank. But from what I see there is no way the GREY should get into the BLACK?

WILL NOT LET ME UPLOAD THE PDF????
Old 03-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
Chuck v

If it is just a single page or two of PDF, try saving as an image using JPEG and posting it as a picture.