Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
RRB

Default Hi from Spokane area

Just bought our first motor home, 2004 Gulfstream BT Cruiser. Looking forward to camping once the weather is nice.
Rick & Connie
RRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
[email protected]

Hi Rick & Connie: My wife, Mo and I (Rick) just bought the exactly the same unit under the same circumstances - our first motor home. We are busy addressing some what I hope are minor issues with the intent of travelling south once the weather improves. Perhaps we can connect? We are located about 100 mi East of Vancouver, BC
yalerick@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
RRB

Be sure to share your travels. Maybe we can meet up somewhere in southern BC or central WA. Rick
Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
RRB

Also, we had a few minor issues with ours. What issues are you having?
Old 11-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
[email protected]

First was the Onan Generator Starter Motor. Finally located one through Amazon and should arrive next week. Problem was getting the "bloody" Gen out to work on it. Next, the previous owner installed some sort of Coach battery hook-up, which I know "exists" but I'd be damned if I know how it works. I'll probably end up tearing it out and doing it again after I consult with an RV guy up here. How about you guys, what issues are you having? Lets keep in touch, perhaps our first trip in the spring?
Old 11-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
RRB

Funny, when we went to do the delivery inspection, the generator wouldn’t start. After troubleshooting it, the mechanic said the generator starter was bad. They changed it and we brought it home. The next day I tried starting it and it wouldn’t start. Found out the batteries were dead. Told it back to the dealer, which is a hour away. Checked the charging system and said it was good. Told me to plug it in over night to charge the batteries. Long story short, the two batteries were bad. Drove it back and they installed two new batteries. So far so good. Did you buy yours from a private party? Are you talking about the switch at the entrance?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
[email protected]

Hi Rick: We were "fortunate" in that the previous owner flat out told me the GenSet needed a starter and "it's only two bolts". Yeah right, just try to get at the "only two bolts". We did buy it privately and had a good feeling from the old owner. The suspect switch is located on the drivers side, first locked compartment from the front. Has an ON/OFF switch and is presently in the off position and was when the MH was delivered. I suspect this entire configuration is for the 12v house power. My concern is what position should the on/off switch be in when I want to charge the batteries?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
RRB

We have a main power on/off switch down on the left wall as you enter the coach. I was told it needs to be on to charge the batteries.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
ezdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB View Post
We have a main power on/off switch down on the left wall as you enter the coach. I was told it needs to be on to charge the batteries.
My 5270 BT Cruiser has the same switch, so with the switch off, the 12V disconnected, I put a voltmeter on the house battery terminals then plugged in to 120V shore power, it then reads 13.47V which indicates to me that it's getting the current needed for charging. So I typically charge the house battery with the 12V switch off - if I'm not using the coach that is. Yours may be wired differently.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote