Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
FastEddie87

Default Onan 6500 commercial 50 amp

Hello to all my RV friends I'm hoping someone can give me an answer I called Cummings today because I've been having this trouble and it's been in for service and all is fine the problem I'm having is I can leave it running out front of my yard all Day and it runs fine both ACS cooling refrig everything's working the problem comes when I'm driving heading towards Daytona with your heavy braking I thought it was the oil sensor shutting off with the oil the man at Cummins told me that he believes what's happening is a fuel problem that the float goes forward when you hit the brakes and it dies out and then it won't start right back up for I don't know I just keep driving then it starts right up anyway I'm looking to see if you've ever heard of this he told me that generators are not meant to be run while driving and I told him an RV and he said yes I'm not going to argue with you look in the repair manual of any generator and it plainly states do not run running down the road I don't know but any help would be appreciated I was dying a heat please help I'm leaving Monday 🙏💯
FastEddie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Baddogsdad

I’ve found Onan to be more trouble than they are worth,
Baddogsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Low OIL, Low Main Fuel Tank (Maybe anything below 1/2-tank (??), with big sloshing in fuel tank, allowing pump to suck AIR??); but MOST COMMON PROBLEM is intermittent/ FAILING FUEL PUMP, might run 10-minutes or 90-minutes, (judging by MANY user posts that I have read over past 3-4 years?)... usually also has some surging on START and some surging BEFORE dying, will NOT restart until cooled 10-20-minutes is typical... (Surging comes from falling fuel level in teh FLOAT BOWL); NEW FUEL PUMP CURES THE ISSUE
Old 08-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
UAHaerospace

a Generator doesn't CARE when it runs, whether you are moving, or not... anyone who tries to 'reason' why it would is simply making up 'fake news'...

Semi trucks run generators 24/7 whether while they are driving, or when parked all night... they don't care. It's just an engine, just like the truck's engine, which OBVIOUSLY works while it's driving!

Where these 'stories' come from, who knows. And, if you believe every 'disclaimer' read in any owner manual, you'll fall for anything, especially a pretty engineer.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #5
FastEddie87

Cool Oran 6500

Well after being on the Road for 2 Parks Same thing Runs half Full Tank an 1/2 to an Hour then Stops Die of Heat Going to Put New Fuel Pump and will Report Back
FastEddie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Vinnie

I had issues with my genset (Onan QD 6000) going down on over temp at the start of summer; didn't matter if I was moving or parked. My issue turned out to be a dirty radiator from winter storage. I think high winds and dry conditions allowed fine dirt to accumulate in on the cooling system. I took a hose and blasted the radiator clean. Initially the water was very muddy coming out but eventually was pretty clear. I did my best to keep the water spray on the radiator only and didn't spray directly at the generator itself. Also mainly hosed reverse flow across fins. Has worked fine ever since including when crossing Arizona this summer.

I have dual saddle tanks and the genset will only run with the fuel tanks at or above 1/2 on the fuel gauge. Kind of a pain since I have 70 gallons remaining at 1/2.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote