Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-31-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
Robert08

Default Coach Power Battery Help Needed

I’m new to motorhomes and definitely not real savvy on the electrical side. I have a 1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8293 MXD. When starting the Motorhome I would push the chassis “Use” button on Intellitec Battery Disconnect panel to be able to turn the ignition to start it. I had noticed once it was running about a minute later my Coach light on the Battery Disconnect panel would also come on and I would also have Coach power inside the Motorhome (dome lights etc.). For some reason now when I start the Motorhome the Coach light is not coming on the Intellitec Battery Disconnect panel and I do not have any Coach power inside the motorhome. If I push the “Use/Store ” button for Coach on the Battery Disconnect it will not come on. What is interesting with the motorhome turned off if I plug up to shore power the Coach light on Intellitec Battery Disconnect panel is lit and I have Coach power inside. Any thoughts on what would prevent Coach power from working when the Motorhome engine is running?
Robert08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
RY469

You have two solenoids to connect/disconnect the batteries. One is to engage the batteries for the house (the "use" selection). The other ties chassis to house (emergency start button on your dash). With the shore power your converter provides power regardless of house batteries. Sounds like you need to go through your house battery box, make sure the (house) batteries are charged and will pass a load test. Ensure all connections are corrosion free and electrically sound. Check that the house connect/disconnect solenoid is working correctly. Note: Most of these are "latching" solenoids. Meaning when engaged, they stay on, then when polarity is reversed to the coil (small terminals) it disengages. My guess is you have a bad solenoid.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

You may actually have three solenoids, 1) latching solenoid for battery DISCONNECT; (some) use a mechanical on/off battery switch); 2) a continuous-duty CHARGE SOLENOID; 3) a continuous-duty BOOST SOLENOID. The USE/STORE SWITCH AND LATCHING SOLENOID use coach battery voltage;

if BATTERY TOO LOW, it will not work. Should ONLY be turned to STORE/OFF if stored without being plugged in. Otherwise, leave in USE position so battery can charge from CONVERTER. RUN ENGINE FOR a bit to charge, then try USE/STORE SWITCH AGAIN?
Old 02-07-2024, 05:42 PM   #4
Havin

I have a similar problem, I have no power to the coach, you suppose my battery is not charged enough?
Havin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:38 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

If yours has LATCHING SOLENOID for battery switch, yes the solenoid may not operate to turn ON, so maybe you may need to remove to test/ charge/ replace? Or get a VOM meter and start some testing? You want 12.1vdc to 12.7vdc= 50%-100% charged
Old 02-07-2024, 06:42 PM   #6
Chuck v

Havin,

In your other post today, you said your BD2 panel had failed and is obsolete... If you want to make your own replacement (or repair the one you have...) then this system schematic will guide you. The green encircled portion is what is in the panel.

You can replace the switches with some momentary rocker switches as shown in the attached diagram...my Tour Master used these individual rocker switches. A used panel of such switches is available here:
https://rvcomponents.visonerv.com/cg...d/M3504/s1.pl?

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intellitec BD2 switch internal details.JPG (83.7 KB, 1 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote