Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-28-2023, 05:15 PM   #1
TurtleMan

Default Charging Lithium Battery

I was wondering I bought a lithium battery thinking I could just swap out my dry cell with it but NO when I hooked it up it charged it up and then it started depleting. I was told that I need to use a lithium battery charger so I have an added expense to take it somewhere to do this. However I was wondering is there a way on the circuit panel to switch so when I am hooked up to shore power it doesnt try and charge the battery and instead I could buy a cheap charger that plugs into a wall outlet and I alligator clamp it to the lithium battery while on shore power?
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #2
RY469

I'm sure there are a lot of "experts" out there that will want to comment to this because they surely know better, but. . .
Your present converter is fully capable of charging your lithium battery. A lithium battery has a "happy place" for high to low operating voltage. The internal battery management system (BMS) inside the battery will manage this. Your charger will operate in this zone, although not as efficiently as a charger designed for lithium. The charge curve is a little different and voltages typically a little higher initially with a lithium designed charger. Short term you are OK, but I do suggest long term, you upgrade to a lithium capable converter.
All this being said, you should not be experiencing significant "depleting" as you put it. You may have a different issue. Did you have batteries dying prematurely with your (original) lead acid battery?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:04 PM   #3
TurtleMan

Naw the original battery works fine. I actually got ahold of someone from Renorgy and they said yes lots of people will say it will work but he said it most definitely will not unless the charger is designed for a lithium battery. I took it out and put the old one back in but now I have a 1000 battery doing nothing it did great at first charged up fine but after a few days the charge dropped off and it never recharged.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
RY469

That's a function of some lithium BMS systems. If the voltage drops down to the low end, the BMS shuts off. KS2 is the worst company (lithium battery brand) for this. Many of the lithium's out there do not have this issue. Sorry to hear Renogy drops off. Higher (maintained) charging voltage is needed to keep the BMS in the "happy zone." Not that hard to replace your converter (is in bottom of power distribution panel) with one that supports your new battery.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:29 AM   #5
TurtleMan

awesome thank you
Old 04-02-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
trotline

Check your charger specs.. Older chargers can't do lithium.
trotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #7
bbaluski

This was a good little video to show you switch to Lithium Batteries. Actual step by step.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote