Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default need some help from the forum

I have a 2004 Sunvoyager. It has a bedroom slide out. The platform does not move just the top where the mattress rests. I want to install gas struts to help me lift this up in case I have problems with convertor, switch box, or the electric slide . I have also built a tray under the mattress to hold some bedding . I have not been able to figure out how I can mount the struts because the base does not move. The way I see it if I mount so they will lift when needed then when I close the slide out it will pull out the gas strut and cause undue pressure on the slide out. Can anyone help. I have looked at other MH that have the gas struts on the bed but on them both platform and top of platform move together when opening and closing the slide out. On mine just the top moves.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
RV Wizard

Darby,

If I can remember I will try to look at some units when I get to work and see what I can come up with. I am sure there can be a way but I need to see exactly what I am dealing with. Once I can design this I will get back to you.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
darbyjudy

Default RV Wizard

RV Wizard I certainly would appricate it . Thank you so much for doing this for me. I was at Dover, FL last weekend and went to Longview and looked at some of the Gulfstream units hoping I could come up with an idea but found nothing.
I will be awaiting a reply.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
gsadmin

What if you fabricated a sliding mechanism for the base portion. I would use a piece of aluminum with a slot cut in it and attached with standoffs to the base. then, the base of the strut would mount to a plate that would have a stud (with a teflon bushing) that would ride in the slot. the length of the slot would be equal to the distance the slide goes out. The strut would then work when in the "out" or "in" bed position.

My rear bed operates in this fashion as well. I have this on my long list of to-do's so i don't know when i will get to attempting it.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
darbyjudy

Default Good Idea But

Well I had though of that also but you would need some way of holding the bottom strut mount in the slide and when the bed was out a way to keep the mount from sliding back to the front of the slide.
I guess you could cut a slot in the bed base mount a piece of heavy alum. plate with a slot cut in it. After putting the slide out have a way to tighten the bottom mount so it did not slide forward when you lift the mattress. The more I think about it, maybe that is why GulfStream didn't put one in. O-Well I will keep the old brain turning.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
gsadmin

if you keep the strut angle as close to 90 degrees as possible in either in or out configuration it should not be much problem. When it is in would not be a problem at all. When it is out, simply have a "drop-notch" at the end of the slide channel so that it drops in there (say .5"). And, when the bed is down, it rises out of the notch so that when you slide the bed it wouldn't catch. It will take some experimenting, but I think you could fashion something like this that could work.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #7
RV Wizard

Darby,

I would propose that you use struts that have a reach of at least the travel distance of the bed slide. Since you will almost never try to lift the bed while the slide is in, I suggest you use this condition to your favor in the fact that when the slide is brought in the strut is actually unloaded (Extended) When the bed is slid out this would actually load (strut is retracted) the strut so that you can permanetly fix each end of the strut to both the bottom of the bed and the bed frame. You will also have to determine the pounds of strength you will need for this assistance you need for the weight of the bed board and mattress. I would think that a couple 120#'s might be close to the rating. You may want to use a latch type bungee to hold the bed down for traveling. It should stay down while stationary but a bump in the road could start the momentum of lift and it might lift up otherwise. Give this some thought and let me know what you think. I want ALL to know that if this idea works that I will be taking claim on it with Gulf Stream
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote